ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Z4-Life
UA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

My experience with BMW Service Center dealerships on Long Island

Just wanted to share what I posted on another board:

Hello, I had some free time today and I wanted to relate a personal experience I had with my local BMW dealership over the last few years.

First some background info:
I purchased my Bimmer as a CPO vehicle at Hassel BMW in Freeport, NY. While I did get a decent price for my Z4, I let myself be suckered into purchasing the extended maintenance plan. At first I was firm against spending an extra $ 2,100 on an extra 3 years of “free” maintenance, but after the constant insistence of the “finance” manager, I buckled and bought the upgrade maintenance plan for $ 1,695.

Being that I now was bound to Hassel BMW Service Center, I faithfully took in my vehicle there for its annual state inspections. It is needless to say, but at Hassel BMW, the service department systematically ripped me off. For all the three years I had my service contract in effect, the only “free” maintenance my car received was a low-mileage engine oil change (and that only after so much persistence on my part). Now granted my Z4 is a low mileage vehicle – but BMW recommends at least an annual oil change, regardless of what the Inspection 1 service level indicates (see SIB 11 08 98). Of course Hassel BMW always tried up-selling me some unneeded service that was not included in the service plan such as the induction service, a new starter battery or a valve cover gasket replacement.

But here is the real kicker of the story. Last year (2013), though my service contract had recently expired, I took my Z4 to Hassel BMW for its annual state inspection. To my astonishment my Bimmer failed the state inspection because the stealership found the front brake pad linings were below the minimum, which according to the TIS is 3 mm for both front and rear axles on the E85. It is important to note that in the past years, whenever I asked for the brake pads and rotors change that was part of the extended maintenance plan, the SA would always insist that it was only covered if the brake pad lining warning light turned on. When I bought up the fact that the brake pad light did not turn on, they asserted that under New York State law if the brake lining was under 3 mm it was an “automatic fail.” But in any case seeing my Marine Corps decal on my front window, the service manager, offered to take care of a Marine veteran for about $ 650 for the front axle and another $ 600 for the rear axle. I then politely declined service at Hassel BMW.

The very next day I took my Z4 to Rallye BMW up in Westbury, NY. I did not mention any of the events of the previous day at Hassel BMW. All I said was, that in previous years I had my vehicle serviced at Hassel BMW and now that my extended maintenance plan had expired I wanted to sample a different BMW Service Center. Well, guess what? The very next day that my vehicle failed its state inspection due to low brake pads, it miraculously passed with sufficient lining. In fact, now the brake pad lining measurements read 6 mm on both the front and rear. (But wait the good folks at Hassel said my brake pad linings were below minimum, they wouldn’t con a loyal customer, right, especially if he was a recent OIF veteran). Just for curiosity, I finally mentioned to the service advisor my ordeal at Hassel BMW. Never mind the not so flattering comments he told me he has heard about other customers’ experiences at Hassel, but when he gave me estimates for the brake job (pads, rotors, labor etc) the prices were about 10 – 15 % less than the Hassel stealership. My SA at Rallye BMW was very professional and did not insist I get my brakes done that day, (I did not need new brakes) and he was not trying to defraud me like the folks at Hassel BMW. He said whenever my vehicle was ready to get a brake change I could simply bring it over: no pressure, and no hassle.

Well the story does not end there. The very next day, I filed a small claims court case against Hassel BMW. I contended that the stealership purposely and deceitfully failed my vehicle to extort money from me to increases its service center’s sales revenue. Additionally, I claimed Hassel BMW had deceptively sold me a maintenance plan upgrade knowing fully well that they did not intend on honoring their commitment – again to increase there sales revenue at the needless expense of loyal BMW clients. Without going into too much detail, I won the case against Hassel. I was refunded $ 37 for the cost of a state inspection, and awarded about $ 79.00 for the cost of an oil change. That was my only disappointment with the verdict; I guess the court felt that my BMW service maintenance plan was really worth only $ 79.00.

Thanks for reading, I apologize for going a bit longer than I expected.
I guess my point of the story is: don’t trust Hassel BMW. If you are anywhere in Nassau County, Long Island go to Rallye BMW if you want to get your vehicle serviced by a BMW dealership. They are very professional, and there service, sales and parts departments are very impressive. In the end, and I know this sounds like a plug for Rallye BMW, but, be warned of Hassel BMW.

Please, respond back with your experience with your local dealership service center and which one you think is best.

Last edited by Z4-Life; 09-13-2014 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: grammar and spelling revisions
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Sometimes you get good dealerships. Sometimes bad.

I think it would also be a good idea to contact BMWNA about it and see what they do for you.
      03-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Sorry to bring this back.. you need to watch out for rallye also. I had my car there for service, they wanted to charge me 300 for power steering flush. I also have a rallye lexus, 0 problems there so far..

Our car has electric power steering, and I never went back there again.
--
Our BMW technicians are trained to thoroughly inspect the pump, lines, cooler, steering rack and reservoir, and test pressures to ensure proper operation. The complete power steering system will be flushed out and replaced with BMW-approved fluid.

*Power steering flush pricing applicable to X5 models: Reg: $196.45. Sale: $176.45. Taxes & shop supplies extra. Power steering flush does not apply to vehicles with electric power steering pumps.
      08-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
ImRonBurgundy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m, 2015 JCW Mini

I purchased my x5m out of state 2 years ago and have been going to Rallye since, they are always pretty professional and timely, though last time when I had a major service they didnt change my wiper blades, not a huge issue but for a premium priced service I expect premium results.

Ive heard good things about TKX in LI and will probably give them ago for my next service as Im looking for a place to take my z4M when I finally choose one
Appreciate 0