ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Z4 Jacking Points

Since my new wheels and tires are coming, I'll have to jack up the car to swap them. I have found the jacking pads on the front of the car but can not find any on the rear of the car. There is a support that runs from in front of the wheel well to the area around the diff. Is the point where the support attaches to the frame in front of the wheel well that is used to jack up the rear? Thanks for any advice.
      11-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rps View Post
Since my new wheels and tires are coming, I'll have to jack up the car to swap them. I have found the jacking pads on the front of the car but can not find any on the rear of the car. There is a support that runs from in front of the wheel well to the area around the diff. Is the point where the support attaches to the frame in front of the wheel well that is used to jack up the rear? Thanks for any advice.
You should have four black composite plastic rectangular shaped jack supports located on the side rails.
Here's a niffty tool http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLo...ited/Home.html
Use the search function on this and other BMW Z forums and you'll find useful info like this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...king+z4&page=3

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
andrewn80
Rep
Drives: 2004 Alpine White BMW Z4

Can I use a regular jack on those rectangular jack supports? Will they get crushed? I don't have a rectangular adapter.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Under the car are the four black metal jack supports. Use those.

What I do when I switch wheels, is jack the rear up about 12" using a racing jack (6,000 lb. one from Walmart). That is enough to get both wheels on that side off the ground. Since I am not going underneath the car, I don't actually use jack stands, and just swap wheels, whatever.

Using this method, there is no need to jack the car up twice per side, only once per side.

Just make sure to loosen the front wheel lug nuts before you jack up the car to facilitate their removal when the front wheel is off the ground.

Make sure to set the parking brake, and to use wheel chocks to prevent the car from moving.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

RPS, there's at least 4 jack points that have rubber pads on them. On your car, you have two up front and two in the back(but they fell off). It's very common for the jack pads to fall off...you can get them at the dealer. I would not jack the car up at the differential... something I learned recently...it's bad to put pressure on the drivetrain... if the more experience modders can correct me...that would be appreciated.

My car has been on the lift a few times to do minor things like oil change...so I have seen it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

That was a very old post but in case you are interested. The one jacking point did indeed fall off and was replaced with a new one from the dealer. I have since bought the jack pad advertised in the Roundel and it works great. I have a scissor jack to get the car up a little and then am able to use the floor jack. Other than a great deal of trouble getting off the rear wheels everything went fine. The word for that day was anti-seize.
      01-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
andrewn80
Rep

About those 4 rectangular jack supports, is it ok to use a jack that isnt properly fitted into the rectanguler indentation? Will the rectangular supports get damaged or can they withstand the force no matter what type of jack you use?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

andrew you can use a block of wood underneath the rubber mounts...nothing will be damaged then...except for the wood. Use 2x4s
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
andrewn80
Rep

Thank you imom! That's exactly the response I was looking for!
Appreciate 0