ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

TPMS Question

Hey guys -

As per my other thread you might tell I am in the market for some new/different wheels.

My car is an 07 M coupe with prem package.

1) Can I install the stock TPMS into different aftermarket wheels without un-mounting the tires on my stock wheels? Is this possible and/or difficult to do?

2) Is there any harm or concern if I install aftermarket wheels without any TPMS sensors and just run the car in this manner? Will the ECU freak out?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

YES YES

You need the sensors. I had mine pulled out of my factory wheels without removing tires and instaled in my new wheels. Make sure news wheels are TPS friendly
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response.

DIY on how to remove the TPS sensor or is it straight forward? I'd rather no have to mount and remount tires each time I change tires. Unless TPS sensors are relatively cheap to just buy.

The wheels are Fikse Profil 10s - is there a a spec I can check to make sure they will fit?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep

Quote:
BMW/MINI

Tire Pressure
Monitoring Systems and Aftermarket Wheels

A direct tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) will be standard equipment on every vehicle sold in the U.S. after September, 2007. The criteria for TPMS standardization is that the vehicle must have only four wheels (no dual-wheeled trucks or motorcycles), and weigh less than 10,000 lbs.

All new MINIs
and many older BMWs are equipped with an indirect style TPMS (see TPMS facts below), which doesn't affect wheel or tire replacement. On BMWs equipped with direct TPMS, several different valve sensors have been used. All current BMW valve sensors are produced by BERU and sold in two parts: the sensor component and the metal valve.

The Tire Rack has sensors available for every direct system-equipped BMW up to 2007 models. Not all wheels will be compatible with BMW sensors. The size of the sensor shouldn't be a problem for mostwheels, but if the valve hole is in the middle of the wheel's barrel, then the sensor will not fit properly. Wheel manufacturers are aware of the issue and are making most of their wheels TPMS-compatible. We have carefully determined which wheels that are currently available will be compatible with the system installed on your vehicle, and only those fitments are listed on the site
googled some of it
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
You need the sensors. I had mine pulled out of my factory wheels without removing tires and instaled in my new wheels. Make sure news wheels are TPS friendly
well I don't know what is considered by 'need' but over the long weekend I visited my father in PA and test fit his E46 M3 wheels which don't have TPMS.

Anyway, I went for a drive around the block, the tire pressure idiot light flashed and then went solid, but the car drove completely like normal.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

yeah you don't need the tpms. I don't have them in on my car right now. I have a light because i don't have the tpms, but i just took electrical tape and put it over the light on the glass.
      05-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i dont have tpms on my winter setup, dash icon just stays lit whole time, not a big deal.