ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #23
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

I tried the Sport button briefly about 8 months ago after I bought the car but then opted for gas mileage instead. After seeing this thread, I decided to try it again as I could not remember what it was like. It definitely made a difference. I agree with Roffle Waffle that it would be nice having it always on in 6th gear so I don't have to downshift to pass someone. However, I don't think I would use it myself for "spirited" driving through the curves.
      08-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #24
suprtran
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
So I tried the instructions above and it still did NOT seem to make much of a difference in terms of throttle response or sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

To answer a previous question of yours that I'm not sure anyone addressed... yes, there are software options out there that enable the "sport" map full-time. However, I was under the impression that the light would be on.
      08-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
suprtran
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
To answer a previous question of yours that I'm not sure anyone addressed... yes, there are software options out there that enable the "sport" map full-time. However, I was under the impression that the light would be on.
Did you mean the light on the SPORT button? That would make sense. Or maybe it doesn't matter either way if the light is on or not as the car is full-time sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

have someone local with a M test drive your car
      08-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #28
suprtran
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
have someone local with a M test drive your car
That's an option. Just gotta find a local.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #29
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I think 50% of BMW owners are in socal, shouldn't be too hard
      08-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
suprtran
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
I think 50% of BMW owners are in socal, shouldn't be too hard
hehe...seems like it
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #31
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

A slightly old thread but also coming from an E46M the sport mode in the Z4MC is NOTHING like the E46M. I HATED the sport mode in the E46M and only slightly hate it on the Z4MC. I can see why you would think it doesn't do anything in the Z4M... but it does. It's just not as extreme. Also since you have to take your foot off the gas pedal it doesn't seem as instantaneous. The best way to feel if it is working is to have high RPMs on the freeway and then UNDO the sport mode while at 3/4 throttle. You will feel the car slow down.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #32
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Anyone yet figure out how to install a sport button in 2006+ models?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #33
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

The "sport" button is night and day in my car. Big big difference. I love it!!! Didn't much care for it in the begionning because it seemed a bit unpredictable. Then two things happened....

First, I received a necessary software upgrade during a routine service (my indy checked with me, we discussed it, and I said yes please). Everything improved - throttle response, smoother idle, fantastic engine braking, etc. etc. Like butter from zero to redline in both directions under all conditions in all gears. For many of you, this step is not necessary but my 2007 still had an original, slightly funky, flash.

Second, after discovering how smooth the "Sport" setting can be, I realized that a totally different, alternate driving style was required. The timing for everything you do as a driver is different. If you try to drive the same way, expecting the car to magically become a more aggressive performer without any management from your end.... you will get frustrated in a hurry. However, you will be rewarded if you practice.

Now, when I'm on my game and want to play Johnny Rocket, I press the "sport" button and start grinning. Folks that say they don't use it probably haven't explored it systematically. It requires a modified set of skills and familiarization to be maximum fun. Yeah, it's a bit more work to learn a different way to drive the same car but... embrace the challenge.

As per above, it engages when the throttle returns to zero. Word to the wise. Don't push "sport" in first gear when you are already underway because when you shift to second (and release the throttle doing so) it will be a surprise when you re-engage the clutch and apply the throttle (and not always a good surprise). Better to engage "sport" when fully stopped or while in second on your way to third.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #34
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
I have Sport mode on all the time when I'm driving, it goes on as soon as I turn the car on, I LOVE the way it transforms the response. I've gotten so use to it now that without it the car feels slow and sluggish and I end up nearly stalling it trying to pull away from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #35
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EenyBear View Post
First, I received a necessary software upgrade during a routine service (my indy checked with me, we discussed it, and I said yes please). Everything improved - throttle response, smoother idle, fantastic engine braking, etc. etc. Like butter from zero to redline in both directions under all conditions in all gears. For many of you, this step is not necessary but my 2007 still had an original, slightly funky, flash.
Do you know if it was an ECU update?
      06-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #36
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4

i find the sport mode hard to deal with in my 3.0. Shifting is noticably more difficult because the gas pedal response is so much different.

I use it mainly if I have to make a quick pass somewhere or just want to screw around but other wise I never use it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #37
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
i find the sport mode hard to deal with in my 3.0. Shifting is noticably more difficult because the gas pedal response is so much different.

I use it mainly if I have to make a quick pass somewhere or just want to screw around but other wise I never use it.
if you're using it for a quick pass, might as well just floor the throttle instead
      06-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post

if you're using it for a quick pass, might as well just floor the throttle. But then again sport bottom does make it FEEL faster =)
      06-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #39
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Do you know if it was an ECU update?
I'm pretty certain it was. And I had my TPS reset at the same time. And the MAF sensor was cleaned. Lots of little things that probably added up.

It was in to have the 12,000 mile fluid replacement (even though it only had 9,000... the car was new to me and I wanted a fresh start).

So lots of high quality fluids in the tranny, diff, crankcase, etc. etc. Some folks report that makes a difference too. I support that position.

Bottom line is... I prefer to drive with the "sport" button engaged.
Appreciate 0