ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Air Leak - Convertible Top Corner Cracked

Since I've taken ownership of the M I've had an audible air leak on the driver's side starting around 60mph. I haven't cared much because I rarely get on the freeway or have the top up, so aside from a quick glance of the seals I haven't investigated this problem until today. I noticed the corner edge of the convertible top is cracked; the plastic piece that the canvas is wrapped around. It's hard to see but I took some iPhone shots, sorry if they're too big:

Anybody else come across this issue? It may be from the roof slamming shut when closed, but it's hard to say for sure because it has been that way since I bought the car. Gonna check realoem now, but I'm doubtful there are any fixes short of replacing the entire roof. Looks like it might be time for some glue or a sewing kit
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Hmmm. I'd expect that this could be repaired at a shop familiar with convertibles.

If you need a new canvas top, check out WWW.Autotopsdirect.com . They claim to be as good as OEM but at a much lower cost.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Whole new top is hard to swallow when the rest of it is in good shape

Realoem says the plastic piece in the front is part of the whole soft top frame. Not trying to tear this whole thing apart to fix a minor nuisance, so I'm gonna try a glue\thread combo soon. Just ordered a pair of the elastic straps to fix the slamming, I figure I should install those before gluing anything
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post

Realoem says the plastic piece in the front is part of the whole soft top frame. Not trying to tear this whole thing apart to fix a minor nuisance, so I'm gonna try a glue\thread combo soon. Just ordered a pair of the elastic straps to fix the slamming, I figure I should install those before gluing anything
I agree! I wonder if there is a shop nearby that may have seen issues like this in the past and be very skilled at the associated repairs. Let me know how it goes!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post

You can also just put your hand up and control the drop speed of the front edge as it comes down.
Appreciate 0