ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

'06 ///M roadster suspension refresh

It's time to do a suspension refresh on my '06 ///M roadster. By suspension refresh, I'm talking about new bushings all around. On my first '06 ///M roadster, at 100k miles I had all the suspension bushings as well as engine and transmission mounts replaced using Turner Motorsports poly bushings (the stiffest they offer short of their straight aluminum bushings). At the time I did not have the ability to do any of the work myself FWIW. I did realize immediately after getting the car back that waiting until 100k miles was too long.
My current car is just shy of 80k miles, so I'm planning on doing the refresh now. I still have 2 months until driving weather here in New Hampshire so it's a good time to do the work. What I'm looking for here is suggestions as to what I should replace. The first car got all parts from Turner Motorsports - Any recommendations as to stay with them or another vendor?
I don't recall exactly which pieces were replaced - again, I had the work done at a local shop so I no longer have the records. Please share recommendations and suggestions.
Finally, should I do the engine and transmission mounts this time? While I'm not aware of any issues with the OEMs, I do know that the wear happens so gradually that you don't always feel how bad things are until - like the last car - I got it back and immediately felt the difference.
Anything else I should be thinking about?
The car is my summer daily driver. I had no issues with the ride when I had the Turner poly bushings on the last car. I don't track the car - it's just my daily driver with the occasional "spirited" driving when I can get away with it safely.
Please share opinions and experiences!

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I can't speak into any suspension recommendations since I've neither planned out or done a refresh yet myself. However, you should do both trans and motor mounts at the same time.

If recall correctly, you need to loosen the trans mounts from the support bracket to do the motor mounts. At that point, all that's left to remove the trans mounts are the 2 top nuts (1 drivers side, 1 passenger side).

The passenger side was a PITA for me since I left the exhaust in when I replaced mine. Lots of colorful words.
      02-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

If the springs/dampers are original, then they'll be well past their best too. All the new bushings in the world won't fix much if those are almost dead.

I replaced the whole lot on my Z4MC at 110,000 miles (about 6 years ago). I put in new engine mounts (Vibra-Technics as per picture below), Powerflex purple bushings, Eibach front & rear sway bars, and Bilstein B16 PSS10 suspension kit. Didn't bother with the gearbox/tranny mounts as I was warned that they increased NVH significantly.

I didn't think the engine mounts were in a bad way...until we took the old ones off, and I think it was just the bolts/engine weight holding the dry & cracked rubber together. The new ones even look wonderful/purposeful

Total cost was probably £2500 ($3000 with tax)...plus fitting...but it made the car feel better than new (and I've had it from almost new).

It's now on 160,000 miles and I haven't had to replace/refresh any of the suspension components due to failures.

I'm not suggesting you go all the way to adjustable B16/PSS10s if it's only for road use though - as mine was upgraded to be able to stiffen it for track days - especially the Nurburgring - but be able to soften it for the drive there & back.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
It's time to do a suspension refresh on my '06 ///M roadster. By suspension refresh, I'm talking about new bushings all around. On my first '06 ///M roadster, at 100k miles I had all the suspension bushings as well as engine and transmission mounts replaced using Turner Motorsports poly bushings (the stiffest they offer short of their straight aluminum bushings). At the time I did not have the ability to do any of the work myself FWIW. I did realize immediately after getting the car back that waiting until 100k miles was too long.
My current car is just shy of 80k miles, so I'm planning on doing the refresh now. I still have 2 months until driving weather here in New Hampshire so it's a good time to do the work. What I'm looking for here is suggestions as to what I should replace. The first car got all parts from Turner Motorsports - Any recommendations as to stay with them or another vendor?
I don't recall exactly which pieces were replaced - again, I had the work done at a local shop so I no longer have the records. Please share recommendations and suggestions.
Finally, should I do the engine and transmission mounts this time? While I'm not aware of any issues with the OEMs, I do know that the wear happens so gradually that you don't always feel how bad things are until - like the last car - I got it back and immediately felt the difference.
Anything else I should be thinking about?
The car is my summer daily driver. I had no issues with the ride when I had the Turner poly bushings on the last car. I don't track the car - it's just my daily driver with the occasional "spirited" driving when I can get away with it safely.
Please share opinions and experiences!

thanks
At that mileage and age, I'd go ahead and do the engine+trans mount, especially if you're going to refresh everything else. Might as well make it feel like a new car. I just did mine while in there for rod bearings, and at 94k miles, you could see how squashed the old mounts were when you compare it side by side with the new ones.

I went with 034 Motorsport mounts through ECS tuning. No complaints with them as of now.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #5
MadGus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
62k on my '06Z4MR, and about a thousand miles ago, I replaced shocks/struts with Bilstein B6s all around, and put new OEM rear springs in as well (look for peeled paint and rusting around the next to bottom rung of the springs... this is the point where they will eventually crack/fail). Would highly recommend this slight upgrade over factory if you want to keep the same height while tightening up the feel a bit.

Ordered 034 Motorsports engine and trans mounts as well as a rear brake pad set... will do that work prior to this spring's trip to the dragon.
Appreciate 0