ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Mod your air compressor (Fixed pics issue)

Did I mention I was a Genius, or Laziness is the mother of invention!
If you have an air compressor in your garage, and if your anything like me, (Lucky guy). You also find the water release valve on your air compressor annoyingly hard to reach, and even more annoyingly hard to open and close.

Well, be annoyed no more!

For just a few bucks at the hardware store and moments of your time you too can feel like a genius, and avoid those pesky rusty tank ruptures and/or explosions.
I know what you’re thinking, “But Mr. Genius, I’ve seen this air compressor release valve mod before, You Tube is full of homer remedies to more easily drain the water from my air compressor, I’ve even rigged my own compressor with a release handle valve and it works perfectly.”

Ha, you only think it does!

Lookie this!

Get yourself 2 (two) ¼inch 90% angle “street elbow” connecters. (that means a gazinta on one end and a gazoutta on the other). Then get a length of ¼ inch straight pipe. I used a 4 inch long pipe but you will have to measure for your tank. Then get one of those blower attachments, like 6 bucks at the store but if you have a compressor you probably have a few thrown in a box or drawer someplace. And guess what, the drain opening in the tank just happens to be ¼ inch wide, and so is the blower attachment opening. Neat huh.

Now tape the ends. (Teflon tape silly)

Now remove the annoying drain valve. (Easier if you empty the air from the tank first)

Toss it (or put it on a chain and wear it with the rest of your gangsta bling)

It’s actually easier to assemble the pieces on the tank but I wanted to show what it looks like put together.

Screw in the first elbow making sure it tightens with the opening pointing forward or toward the axel. This can be done by adding or removing tape until it tightens just right. Then screw the rest of the pipes together making sure the second elbow is parallel to the floor, again - with the tape. Then screw on the blower attachment making sure the lever faces forward as shown in the picture.

(- THIS IS VERY INPORTANT! - The length of the entire valve MUST be less than the distance from the drain hole in the tank to the axel of the wheels on your compressor. This is the pivot point and anything beyond or in front of the axel will tilt downward into the floor and possibly strip or even break the threads in the drain port on the tank, and there aint no fixing that. Anything behind the axel will tilt up and away from the floor when you tilt your upright compressor to roll it away. My compressor is a 33 gal upright tank and I have 7 inches from the drain to the axel. A 4 inch straight pipe gave me a total length of 6½ inches including the blower lever.)

Now you can see the genius of it all. No more bending and reaching for that annoying tiny valve, or even turning a handle, like the homers on You Tube. After every use, or when you want to impress your less genius friends or even just wanna feel proud of yourself, simply “toe kick” the new drain valve to release the water, and the fun.

Last edited by WAMz4; 06-12-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I see pics. Anybody else not seeing pics?
      06-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Did I mention I was a Genius, or Laziness is the mother of invention!
If you have an air compressor in your garage, and if your anything like me, (Lucky guy). You also find the water release valve on your air compressor annoyingly hard to reach, and even more annoyingly hard to open and close.

Well, be annoyed no more!

For just a few bucks at the hardware store and moments of your time you too can feel like a genius, and avoid those pesky rusty tank ruptures and/or explosions.
I know what you’re thinking, “But Mr. Genius, I’ve seen this air compressor release valve mod before, You Tube is full of homer remedies to more easily drain the water from my air compressor, I’ve even rigged my own compressor with a release handle valve and it works perfectly.”

Ha, you only think it does!

Lookie this!

Get yourself 2 (two) ¼inch 90% angle “street elbow” connecters. (that means a gazinta on one end and a gazoutta on the other). Then get a length of ¼ inch straight pipe. I used a 4 inch long pipe but you will have to measure for your tank. Then get one of those blower attachments, like 6 bucks at the store but if you have a compressor you probably have a few thrown in a box or drawer someplace. And guess what, the drain opening in the tank just happens to be ¼ inch wide, and so is the blower attachment opening. Neat huh.

Now tape the ends. (Teflon tape silly)

Now remove the annoying drain valve. (Easier if you empty the air from the tank first)

Toss it (or put it on a chain and wear it with the rest of your gangsta bling)

It’s actually easier to assemble the pieces on the tank but I wanted to show what it looks like put together.

Screw in the first elbow making sure it tightens with the opening pointing forward or toward the axel. This can be done by adding or removing tape until it tightens just right. Then screw the rest of the pipes together making sure the second elbow is parallel to the floor, again - with the tape. Then screw on the blower attachment making sure the lever faces forward as shown in the picture.

(- THIS IS VERY INPORTANT! - The length of the entire valve MUST be less than the distance from the drain hole in the tank to the axel of the wheels on your compressor. This is the pivot point and anything beyond or in front of the axel will tilt downward into the floor and possibly strip or even break the threads in the drain port on the tank, and there aint no fixing that. Anything behind the axel will tilt up and away from the floor when you tilt your upright compressor to roll it away. My compressor is a 33 gal upright tank and I have 7 inches from the drain to the axel. A 4 inch straight pipe gave me a total length of 6½ inches including the blower lever.)

Now you can see the genius of it all. No more bending and reaching for that annoying tiny valve, or even turning a handle, like the homers on You Tube. After every use, or when you want to impress your less genius friends or even just wanna feel proud of yourself, simply “toe kick” the new drain valve to release the water, and the fun.
I think its a security issue on your dropbox
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0