ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Knoxville

http://www.graysonbmw.com/index.htm?...OYK7wfijaldQ==

I don't think you are comprehending what the others are telling you. On a unibody car, there is no "frame" per se other than a theoretical construct defined on a CAD machine as points in space requiring certain structural properties to which body and mechanical parts are attached. Your car has very significant "frame" damage in the front, probably extending to both sides. Because of the way the subframes are designed and interdependent on one another, it us unlikely that the damage is isolated to the one corner and probably the entire front half of the "frame" of the car is off. On the right side, the damage might be minor enough to be pulled back into place on a frame jig. On the left side, there is no way to pull back ripped metal and major structural repairs will be needed. In addition to major structural repairs, this entails having a detailed knowledge of all the mechanical systems so they can be disassembled and reassembled properly. Almost always, there is hidden damage which is not apparent until later or even after the repaired car is returned to the customer. For example, with an impact that severe, I would replace the entire left front suspension and wheel assembly no matter how they look superficially. This includes the strut, spring, upper spring mount, sway bar link, lower control arm, wheel carrier, wheel bearing, hub, wheel bolts, wheel, and tire. So you see it all adds up very quickly. Unless you can get that kind of repair done to your car, your are not going to get back the car you had before your accident.

Last edited by AWM3; 05-04-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Garage List
car62, I do understand what you are saying (better now) and appreciate it. Thanks for the link to the BMW shop. I have spoken to my insurance agent and they are looking into it. Waiting to hear back from them at this time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #25
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

If they haven't torn down the entire front of the car (both fenders and everything north of the engine block removed), then they aren't ready yet to give you an estimate. Even then, it will probably take them a while as they'll need to get part numbers and prices from the dealership (due to the rarity of the car, they're not going to have the right part numbers in their system).
      05-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #26
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

That car's totalled. Start looking for a new Z4MC.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #27
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So my insurance agent informed me that because the curent collision center is a preferred service provider they don't require an adjuster. However, at my request they are going to go ahead and have an adjuster examine the damage to the car. Now the waiting begins again...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #28
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRiSK View Post
So my insurance agent informed me that because the curent collision center is a preferred service provider they don't require an adjuster. However, at my request they are going to go ahead and have an adjuster examine the damage to the car. Now the waiting begins again...
Have they stripped the front end down yet?
      05-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #29
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Have they stripped the front end down yet?
Apparently, they did today. Haven't seen it myself yet or have any additional info at this time. I will be present when the the adjustor inspects the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #30
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Apparently, they did today. Haven't seen it myself yet or have any additional info at this time. I will be present when the the adjustor inspects the car.
good idea.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #31
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Looks like a total loss to me. That being said if you can buy it back would make for a perfect race car!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #32
Z3Z4MC
Private
Rep

^ agreed.
Hate to say it, but the car is now worthless.
I would turn it into a track car and have fun with it.
      05-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #33
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Don't go where your insurance company wants you to go - go to the shop you want... whoever you feel is the best shop available.
      05-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #34
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I know at least with my insurance provider, they do not pay the shop if the finished total goes over their "total out mark". This keeps shops from doing an initial quote very low and then ringing up thousands of dollars of oops, we just found X is broken.

With that said, usually the repair shop will be very loose (over) with their quote than they expect the actual repair to be.

All of this is kind of side info, but just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #35
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I'd definitely get a second shops estimate on it.

$6k is WAY too low for that.
My repairs are already at about $9/10k and the damage was much less.
      05-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #36
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I agree, my car had cosmetic damage similar and was 4-5k to repair. This car has subframe damage that has compromised the suspension geometry (the fact the strut bar is bent and the shock tower is moved, is going to be quite fun to repair). You should be well over 15-20k to fix this properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #37
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well met with the adjustor for my insurance company yesterday. The repair shop had pulled the frame back into place and had it on the jig for checking the alignment. surpirisingly looked better then I expected. No damage to the engine itself but some parts in the engine bay need to be replaced. The adjustors new estimate is above $10k, waiting for his final report. Additional elements to the the estimate included the front hood, driver side headlight unit, new tires and wheels on the front, and possible replacement parts for the front axle/springs, etc. But at this point there is not enough damage for them to be even be close to calling it a total loss. They said damage to the car has to exceed 70% of the current market value of the car for them to total it. I did make some enquiries and these guys are known for doing quality work in this area and for the BMW dealership, so i am going to leave it there to be fixed - and having talked with the guy working on the car, who has over 20 yrs of experience, I felt as reassured as I could. If anyone else has any additional information/advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the comments and info so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #38
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh, I have the asked my insurance company to cash out the value of the front tires and wheels, so that I can use that towards a new set of wheels and tires. Thinking of forgestars at this point...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #39
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well met with the adjustor for my insurance company yesterday. The repair shop had pulled the frame back into place and had it on the jig for checking the alignment. surpirisingly looked better then I expected. No damage to the engine itself but some parts in the engine bay need to be replaced. The adjustors new estimate is above $10k, waiting for his final report. Additional elements to the the estimate included the front hood, driver side headlight unit, new tires and wheels on the front, and possible replacement parts for the front axle/springs, etc. But at this point there is not enough damage for them to be even be close to calling it a total loss. They said damage to the car has to exceed 70% of the current market value of the car for them to total it. I did make some enquiries and these guys are known for doing quality work in this area and for the BMW dealership, so i am going to leave it there to be fixed - and having talked with the guy working on the car, who has over 20 yrs of experience, I felt as reassured as I could. If anyone else has any additional information/advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the comments and info so far.
In most cases it's 70% or frame damage -- mine was both. I'm real surprised it's only 10k in damage...
      05-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #40
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ +1
I find that VERY surprising.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0