ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
leeuk10
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 330d (E90)

Z4 Roadster Roof Question

Hi,

Picked up a 2008 Z4 Roadser from a BMW dealer today and after I press the button to put the roof down and it's completed its motions, I have a red flashing light on the "down" button. Is this just warning me that the roof is down (which is quite obvious) or does it mean there is a problem?

Does anyone else get a red flashing light or had one in the past?

Thanks,
Lee
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

typically it means it's not all the way down. on mine, the top stops at the rest point but the motor keeps working for a second or 2. i have to wait until the motor stops working for the top to be "completely down" and not have the light flashing. this has confused a few people who have driven my car (without me) and asked me why it flashes. so it may be the same situation since you're new to the car also
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuk10 View Post
Hi,

Picked up a 2008 Z4 Roadser from a BMW dealer today and after I press the button to put the roof down and it's completed its motions, I have a red flashing light on the "down" button. Is this just warning me that the roof is down (which is quite obvious) or does it mean there is a problem?

Does anyone else get a red flashing light or had one in the past?

Thanks,
Lee
Hold the button until the red light stops flashing. This will be a couple of seconds past the time that the top appears to stop moving.

See the owner's manual for instructions.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
leeuk10
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 330d (E90)

Thanks guys but I kept the button pressed down for at least 20 seconds after the roof had completely finished opening and the red light was still flashing. The motor was continiously making the noise until I let go of the button. Light was still flashing although the roof appeared to be completely down. Tried several times.

Maybe I should take it back to the dealer and have them investigate the fault. Maybe its a sensor or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Congratulations on the new car!!!!

As its a 2008, I expect you still have warranty left. On my car, when you press and hold the roof down button, both windows come part way down, the roof opens, and then after a moment, the windows go all the way up. At that point, my red light stops flashing.

If things seem wrong, call the dealer's service department and chat with one of the guys there. I'm sure they can help you out!!

And once more - congratulations!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Thanks guys but I kept the button pressed down for at least 20 seconds after the roof had completely finished opening and the red light was still flashing. The motor was continiously making the noise until I let go of the button. Light was still flashing although the roof appeared to be completely down. Tried several times.

Maybe I should take it back to the dealer and have them investigate the fault. Maybe its a sensor or something.
Could be a sensor, or possibly the locking mechanism not engaging or broken - hopefully still in the guarantee period?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

There's an interlock limit switch in the trunk.
Sounds like it needs adjusting.

or... the tray under the top section in the trunk, isn't all the way down into position.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Congrats on the car. My car didn't come with this button so I am of no help...but I can say...Your going to love the car. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
There's an interlock limit switch in the trunk.
Sounds like it needs adjusting.

or... the tray under the top section in the trunk, isn't all the way down into position.
Bet that's it.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
veryhuman
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5I

This is how the top operates. Starting with windows up, top up. Press and hold top down. Window comes down half way, top unlocks, retracts, locks (at this point, process is complete), windows up.

Flash red is incomplete process (you may have let go too quickly, top has not lock in the down position), repress and hold top down button again.

Flash orange (trunk storage issue). The top will not move at all if it flashes orange.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Gremlin500
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i SMG

So come on leeuk10, what's the story?

Don't you just hate it when you try and help people, then they just don't respond?

Did you get it fixed? Should we all start to worry brethren? :-o
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Alpha Bravo
Rep
Drives: 2006 2.5si Roadster

What? Are the windows supposed to go back up automatically after the roof is lowered or raised again for that matter? My windows just go down 1/2 way and stays there....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
What? Are the windows supposed to go back up automatically after the roof is lowered or raised again for that matter? My windows just go down 1/2 way and stays there....
No, they stay there. If they went back up you would risk being caught by the "Convertible Police" who will stop and levy a heavy fine against anyone caught driving a convertible with the top down but the windows up.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
Alpha Bravo
Rep
Drives: 2006 2.5si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
No, they stay there. If they went back up you would risk being caught by the "Convertible Police" who will stop and levy a heavy fine against anyone caught driving a convertible with the top down but the windows up.
he he
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
This is funny! Seriously, after the top is up, if you hold the up button for several more seconds the windows will raise. However, if you release the up button and raise the windows yourself it is quicker.

If the space tray in the trunk is not all the way in the down position (or the switch doesn't tell the ecu that it is), the top will not move.

If the OP is holding the down switch for 20 seconds after the top is down and the led is still flashing, I agree with earlier posters that the microswitch that tells the ECU that the top down is the culprit.

A follow up post from the OP as to the resolution would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0