ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Hydraulic belt tensioner z4m?

Do we have a mechanical or Hydraulic belt tensioner on the 2006 M roadster(build date 04-2006)? Ive always noticed that there is a lot of belt whining and or just whirring noises from my S54. My warranty runs out in early April and I want everything to be tip-top when it's all over. Just wondering if this tensioner has been replaced by anyone here and if you have the same noises from your engine. Ive never heard another M and far as I know it may be normal for the beast to be this loud. My 2.5 never sounded like this but these are two different animals I know.

It just seems really loud to me. It reminds me of a failing PS pump on an old GM product. I might try and youtube the engine sound tomorrow for everyone to hear. I hear the injectors ticking and the whirring sound from the front by the altenator. I know the dealer will say it's normal. Not a VANOS noise.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I replaced one of my mechanical tensioners on my 03 last year. BMW switched to hydrolic tensioners at some point because they no longer sold it and I had to buy aftermarket

The defective one was making was a screeching/sqeaking sound when first laying on the throttle
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Shorestyle031
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M roadster

bump
      04-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

How about that video/audio of the sound? Other than that, find another Z4M owner near you and meet up and listen/compare. That's going to be much better than a video/audio--those never fully capture the sounds one would get being there in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I believe the whining is normal. My wife commented on the noise when I was idling in the garage for a few minutes. She asked what the high pitched noise was coming from.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
leeman
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4m roadster

excerpt from an article

Whereas the “regular” 6-cylinder engines have a simplex (single) camshaft drive chain or chains, the S54 has a full duplex (double) chain driving its camshafts. As usual with BMW engines, the chain is hydraulically tensioned and needs no periodic adjustment or replacement

My 08 wines. My understanding is this is normal. I'd like to find out what causes the noise.
Appreciate 0