ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Passenger seat belt not working

Anyone had an issue where the seat belt will not click in? All of a sudden my passenger seatbelt is no longer working because it won't click in. The chime doesn't come on warning that it isn't clicked. It sucks though because now I can't have a passenger since it's pretty unsafe for them to not wear a seat belt.

I'm going to bring it into the dealer ASAP but was wondering if anyone had this issue and was able to resolve it. I tried playing with it a little bit but I didn't want to break anything. Thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I've had this happen before on another car, when a coin dropped into the slot. Check with a light to see if there is any object stuck in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I've had this happen before on another car, when a coin dropped into the slot. Check with a light to see if there is any object stuck in there.
+1. Same thing happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

did the part on the lap/shoulder part of the belt get reversed 180 degrees. twist it and see if it fits then.
      04-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Anyone had an issue where the seat belt will not click in? All of a sudden my passenger seatbelt is no longer working because it won't click in. The chime doesn't come on warning that it isn't clicked. It sucks though because now I can't have a passenger since it's pretty unsafe for them to not wear a seat belt.

I'm going to bring it into the dealer ASAP but was wondering if anyone had this issue and was able to resolve it. I tried playing with it a little bit but I didn't want to break anything. Thoughts?
Take a small flathead screwdriver, like one from those mini sets. Look down into the area where the buckle goes. Now press down on the red release button........ you should now be able to see the square piece of metal that goes into the square cutout on the buckle. At the edge of that square piece of metal, on the side opposite of the red release button, is a small half moon cutout .............. stick the small screwdriver in there and push the square towards the red release button................ it should pop back out of the way so you can start inserting the buckle again.......... this worked for me on the drivers side a few weeks ago.

John
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Didn't know that, thanks, another tip noted for future reference!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Ooh thanks, I will attempt this when I leave work but I don't have a flathead screwdriver; do you think a Phillips head or a pair of scissors would work?

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ooh thanks, I will attempt this when I leave work but I don't have a flathead screwdriver; do you think a Phillips head or a pair of scissors would work?
Sounds like the idea is to apply some level of force with a small lever. The idea is to get the blade under that piece of metal and the thin end of a flathead is needed. (Don't we have a little screwdriver in the mobility kit thing? Can't remember if it's flat or phillips in there.) A small scissors blade might work too.

If you can't fix it and were are worred about a ticket, you can probably get off by being nice to the officer (or perhaps getting he or she to try releasing it if they have the tools). Even if you get a ticket, if you go to the dealer and get a note showing it's a functional issue you could get out of the ticket (happened to my dad, and the ticket was dismissed).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah I'm not so much worried about a ticket, just the safety of my passengers. I'm gonna try it today but I have a service appointment Wednesday if I can't get it to work still.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm not so much worried about a ticket, just the safety of my passengers. I'm gonna try it today but I have a service appointment Wednesday if I can't get it to work still.
Got it. I'd worry about that too. Let us know what you find.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the flathead in the tool kit might work. You want something small and thin enough to fit in the little curved cutout opening at the edge of the square............... it's like they designed it that way so you could insert a probe in there, push, and the metal will pop/unlocked and start working again.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Alright I tried that and no luck. It seems as though something is pretty broken because I was comparing the passenger and driver side and the passenger side one just sounds empty and isn't making a solid noise when I hold the red button like the driver's side is.

I'm bringing it by the dealer tomorrow night so we'll see what they say.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Yikes. good luck.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright I tried that and no luck. It seems as though something is pretty broken because I was comparing the passenger and driver side and the passenger side one just sounds empty and isn't making a solid noise when I hold the red button like the driver's side is.

I'm bringing it by the dealer tomorrow night so we'll see what they say.
Nuts!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry my fix didn't work for you. In cases where the "locking square metal" gets stuck in the closed position, it does work. You might have a more serious issue
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well, brought it in and my SA wasn't there (had to leave for a family emergency I was told). So I spoke with another SA and he said I'd have to leave the car I wasn't expecting to so they didn't have a loaner. I'm rockin' a beige Hyundai Elantra right now, hopefully only for a day but at least it was complimentary. It's terribly frightening to drive LOL. I feel like I'm going to break it. The steering is so loose and it feels like it's going to float off the road. It's actually rather comical, I was laughing the whole way to work this morning wondering how people drive these things. It is pretty cute though.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

So that was quick. Got a call back from the SA and car is ready. There was a piece of plastic wedged in there that was preventing the belt from fastening. They managed to pry it out and also did an oil change for me. Weird, since I just brought my car in there a couple weeks ago and was told that despite the car saying it needed oil, the key said that it did not, so I wasn't approved for an oil change. This SA told me both are saying they're due so I'm like "OK, cool, do it then" LOL. So I'm going to pick it up at lunch. Can't wait.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm rockin' a beige Hyundai Elantra right now, hopefully only for a day but at least it was complimentary. It's terribly frightening to drive LOL. I feel like I'm going to break it. The steering is so loose and it feels like it's going to float off the road. It's actually rather comical, I was laughing the whole way to work this morning wondering how people drive these things. It is pretty cute though.
When I travel I often find myself in some little econobox like this. It is frightening to drive one, the last time I was on the freeways in L.A. in one of these the vague streeing was so bad the car was all over the road and the back end was so light that I felt it twitching the entire time. And the thing was so thin/tin that if anything had happened I'm sure I would have been dead. I was very happy to get back home and get in my beater--a 16 year old Integra GSR that was a 10x better car. Makes you appreciate the Z4M that much more when you've been in one of those little death traps.

Quote:
So that was quick. Got a call back from the SA and car is ready. There was a piece of plastic wedged in there that was preventing the belt from fastening. They managed to pry it out and also did an oil change for me. Weird, since I just brought my car in there a couple weeks ago and was told that despite the car saying it needed oil, the key said that it did not, so I wasn't approved for an oil change. This SA told me both are saying they're due so I'm like "OK, cool, do it then" LOL. So I'm going to pick it up at lunch. Can't wait.
I'm glad this is fixed, and the whole "key thing" is rather maddening isn't it? At least you had to take it back anyway, so no harm done, and you get more bang for your dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I was definitely fighting the car on the freeway. And nice beater; I had a 99 Integra GS-R in high school and absolutely loved it. I'd take that over a new econobox any day!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #20
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Glad no horror story on the belt...sometimes the easiest thing is the most frustrating...but it all worked out for you!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
BU Z4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Big & Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Take a small flathead screwdriver, like one from those mini sets. Look down into the area where the buckle goes. Now press down on the red release button........ you should now be able to see the square piece of metal that goes into the square cutout on the buckle. At the edge of that square piece of metal, on the side opposite of the red release button, is a small half moon cutout .............. stick the small screwdriver in there and push the square towards the red release button................ it should pop back out of the way so you can start inserting the buckle again.......... this worked for me on the drivers side a few weeks ago.

John
Just fixed mine by using this. Thanks
Appreciate 0