ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Horn Wiring Harness

Hi all,

On the OEM horn there's a black connector attached to the positive and ground leads of the horn. That connector attaches to a wiring harness that goes to the car. Left side of this pic.

I recently bought a new horn which looks like the right side horn in that same pic linked above, and would like to wire a similar connector to it. Would any of you know the type of connector it is that I need to look for? I'm having trouble finding it on RealOEM.

My backup plan is to snip off the connectors on the harness and wire directly to the horn, but I'd like to preserve the OEM harness if possible.

Thanks.
      05-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The connector on the horn is probably part of the horn assembly and not available separately.
1) Have a look around the car and see if you can find that connector used elsewhere. It looks similar to the hamburger bulb connector.
2) If you're replacing the stock horns, see if you can get them off and attach them to the new horns.
      05-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
The connector on the horn is probably part of the horn assembly and not available separately.
1) Have a look around the car and see if you can find that connector used elsewhere. It looks similar to the hamburger bulb connector.
2) If you're replacing the stock horns, see if you can get them off and attach them to the new horns.
Thanks, StickMon. I'll see if I can extract the connector from the stock horn.
      05-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

On the subject of horns (segue...)

On my Miatas I ran a great sounding set of air horns. They were from a guy who called his store front "Crazy Red Italian". They were unbranded horns (so I don't think they were FIAMMS) paired with an unbranded compressor. The perfect Italian sound. I used to enjoy "warning" people that my microscopic car was "there". It saved my bacon more than a couple of times. My kids also easily knew my car's sound.

I rarely use the horn on my Zed. I'm guessing people see the larger car better. Maybe since it's more powerful it's easier to stay out of compromising situations. I think it's also that actuating the horn on the BMW steering wheel takes a lot of effort, and you must be very deliberate about it. There's just no way to do the casual "Ciao' Bella" with your thumb on the horn pad. The whole act seems more "ACHTUNG!"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #5
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Just wanted to update everyone who might be interested. I picked up this CAN-BUS plug and hooked it up to some spade connectors. This allowed me to plug into the new horn and into the stock wiring connector. It works!