ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

@ JSW getting the ECU flashed right now. I plan on dynoing next Tuesday during noontime to see if there are any gains.
Also, I will be tracking the car @ Laguna Seca on Monday so I should be able to really test out the tune. Will report back with my findings.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
^good stuff cant wait to see the results. did you get the x pipe yet?
X-pipe will be here tomorrow. Flanges too. Have to find someone to bell the ends and cut down the xpipe to the exact specs as the stock one. Hopefully I will have a clamp on xpipe with spinning flanges for muffler adjustment. Thats my plan anyway.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I've been working with AA for a while now and they should have it out very soon. I have the base tune on my car now and will be dynoing some others later next week. The great thing is besides being cheaper then a lot of the competition, the ECU is flashed through OBD, not by opening it up and accessing the chips directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
on second thought, I'm kinda scared now lol..AA's still in their beta testing stages -___-. What if my motor blows or something? AHHH!!!
Lol nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
I don't think Id want to be a guinea pig when their are other proven and safe tunes out there......
Lol AA has been in the business a long time, they don't need to prove something for every new car, they have proven themselves in the past, it carries over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Ive heard about that issue before. It's a bitch to break that code I hear w/o an unlock code for the ecu. I think they just have to know the right people over in Europe. That's what I've heard anyway.
They've had it for a while just haven't gotten around to testing it.
      10-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #26
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
If it's on O-cha's car, I'm sold.

I have a pretty big delay in power delivery between 2-3k rpm. It doesn't matter if I'm at 2200 rpm or 2800 rpm - it takes between a 1/2 second and second for the engine to really kick in. It almost feels like turbo lag, and it's not related to any specific rpm other than it always happens in that range- and sometimes up to 4000 rpm. If I had to guess I'd say it's related to the VANOS, but I do wonder if my aftermarket intake has anything to do with it. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, because a naturally aspirated engine should have immediate throttle response.

I'm hoping a tune will get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #27
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
If it's on O-cha's car, I'm sold.

I have a pretty big delay in power delivery between 2-3k rpm. It doesn't matter if I'm at 2200 rpm or 2800 rpm - it takes between a 1/2 second and second for the engine to really kick in. It almost feels like turbo lag, and it's not related to any specific rpm other than it always happens in that range- and sometimes up to 4000 rpm. If I had to guess I'd say it's related to the VANOS, but I do wonder if my aftermarket intake has anything to do with it. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, because a naturally aspirated engine should have immediate throttle response.

I'm hoping a tune will get rid of it.
The s54 peaks around 4k, are you sure what you're not just feeling the lower torque at those RPMs? If you're flooring it @2k and it doesn't really "get going" till 4 that's normal.
      10-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
o-cha, thanks for the update. I agree, as I said in other posts, AA is 100% legit and has the accolades to prove it.
So for this tune, does the ecu have to be shipped to AA for the tune or will you be able to do it yourself as with GIAC and a few other companies?
Any info on specifics for the tune with a gruppe m intake?
If you don't have a local authorized retailer capable of flashing then you would have to ship it. Luckily on the z4s its pretty easy to get the ecu out. I'll see if I can get you a list of retailers, if there isn't one close to you PM me.

I don't think there's any companies that give end users the ability to flash their ecus.
      10-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #29
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
The s54 peaks around 4k, are you sure what you're not just feeling the lower torque at those RPMs? If you're flooring it @2k and it doesn't really "get going" till 4 that's normal.
I realize that the S54 is more of a high-rpm engine (and trust me I'm not trying to win any towing competitions), but this is definitely a delay/hesitation in acceleration... almost like the engine is trying to sort sh*t out and then after 1/2 second to a second, it gets everything right and starts pulling much harder. That's why I feel like it's something software could fix, and was wondering if the computer isn't adapted to the difference in flow from the aFe. It feels as if I'm inputting partial throttle and then floor it a moment later, and it's not really associated with any specific rpm like a flat spot in the power band. If I floor it at 2300 rpm, it won't "kick" until say 2800 rpm (a guess), and if I floor it at 2800 rpm it won't kick until 3300 rpm. It's most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear when I'm cruising around 2500-2800 rpm or so, and need to accelerate without downshifting.

If software can fix it I'll be thrilled. If not, no big deal; it doesn't affect me when I drive the car hard because I'm never at 3000 rpm.

I don't know anyone around here with an M to compare it to, so I may try putting my stock airbox back on and see if that fixes it.

I have a nagging thought that since it might be VANOS-related, then perhaps some of the cam bolts are sheared and the engine is on its way to destruction. The VANOS bolt monster is the new S54 killer, and until I actually have the bolts replaced I'm going to ignorantly assume anything and everything "abnormal" is related to cam bolts. Cupholder broke? Cam bolts.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #30
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Teaser

Hopefully mfanatic will chime in with a post on his initial impressions, and before/after dyno...soon

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #31
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

piqued interest here. am primarily interested in more torque down low and a more usable sport mode. waiting eagerly for the results!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #32
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

So initial impressions are that I do feel some more low-end and mid-range power delivery. I made sure to drive this car a lot prior to the ECU tune so that I could better make a judgment call.

However, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a night and day difference. It's definitely something less than that.

I will await for next Tuesday's "after" dyno to see if there are any gains on paper. I'm just afraid to call it more than it is. Afraid that it may just be the placebo effect taking hold. So I don't want to get on an altar so to speak and holler about any unbelievable gains

Regardless though, I think ECU tunes for these motors are all about the same in that this is the most they can do. It's not a kick in your pants difference, but noticeable. So price-wise, I'm thinking AA is the best route to go. I'm hoping for good #'s on the dyno next week. Will start a new thread with dyno charts for comparison.

Last edited by mfanatic325; 10-28-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

DIY flash loading is now available with our software, no longer a need to remove and send the ECU to us. The customer can also switch between tuned files and stock with the push of a button and receive updates via email if needed.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #34
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
DIY flash loading is now available with our software, no longer a need to remove and send the ECU to us. The customer can also switch between tuned files and stock with the push of a button and receive updates via email if needed.
Do we need to buy a device similar to say a Diablosport Predator or Trinity?
This is GREAT news for those of us under warranty who want to return the car to 'stock' for service.

Are there going to various tunes to choose from (91oct 93oct etc), and will it require any data logging to be a car-specific tune, or just a canned tune?

Last edited by johanness; 10-28-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #35
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Do we need to buy a device similar to say a Diablosport Predator or Trinity?
This is GREAT news for those of us under warranty who want to return the car to 'stock' for service.

Are there going to various tunes to choose from (91oct 93oct etc), and will it require any data logging to be a car-specific tune, or just a canned tune?
You will not need to buy any other hardware. You are correct it is a great option for customers who want to make trips to the dealer under warranty. Unit can hold up to 10 tunes, 91/93 etc. Z4M is MSS70 so fully adaptive, no need to "custom tune".
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #36
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
You will not need to buy any other hardware. You are correct it is a great option for customers who want to make trips to the dealer under warranty. Unit can hold up to 10 tunes, 91/93 etc. Z4M is MSS70 so fully adaptive, no need to "custom tune".
How are they flashing it if they aren't buying any hardware?
      10-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #37
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
How are they flashing it if they aren't buying any hardware?
Hardware is now included with our Z4M flash..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #38
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Interesting.
      10-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #39
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
This is the way it should be. Nothing better than being able to select your tunes and having that flexibility in the palm of your hand (and from a top-notch programmer). I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #40
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

This morning when I took the car out, I felt more of a difference in the ECU tune by AA's software. Cold start was smoother than before, and my part-throttle response was much better than stock as well.
I've had more time to feel out the low and mid-range power delivery, and I honestly think it's there.
Perhaps I didn't feel much yesterday since ECU hadn't adapted yet? *shrug*

Again, will await dyno next Tuesday for final #'s.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #41
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

I'll try disconnecting the battery later and see if there's more kick in the pants =]

edit: disconnected the battery overnight and drove the car this morning. Still can't say it's night & day, but definitely feelin' something. Really hoping it's not placebo lol
Butt dyno can be quite misleading at times after all =P

Last edited by mfanatic325; 10-30-2010 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #42
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Just got back a few hours ago from Laguna Seca track day. I've got to say, I am very impressed with the ECU, especially after having reset the ECU, reset throttle adaptation, and had a whole day to put the car through its paces (or at least try to)
I was only able to pull a 1:54 lap time as my personal best
I've got a long ways to go
The production-car world record is 1:33 I believe

Anyhow, especially in sport mode, the car pulls really well. I will be dyno-ing tomorrow noontime (if the shop doesn't forget my appointment lol). Will start a thread thereafter.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #43
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Started my AA tune thread here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449998
Appreciate 0