ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Ralco Short Shifter Kit - Z4M $180

Just found this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ralco...ht_2131wt_1165

Ralco RZ Short Shifter Kit Product Description (# 914102 )
There are so many short throw shifters on the market however only Ralcorz has a shifter available that stands out amongst all others. These shifters are made from the highest quality aluminum and hardened steel. Every Ralcorz Short Shift kit is precision-made for each application. A premium sport shifter engineered for the enthusiast. This Sport Shifter has all of the features including a nice chrome shift knob. Complete replacement for the stock shifter included with every unit.

Key Features:
Accepts stock knob
Direct bolt on installation
Up to 40% throw reduced for quicker shifts
Shift Knob Included with most applications

This product fits the following:
Make Model Year Engine Type Application Note Detail Color
BMW Z4 2003 - 2005 3.0i Roadster/Coupe height-adjustable (N/A) (N/A)
BMW M-Series 2006 - 2008 3.2L S54 Z4M Roadster & M Coupe height-adjustable (N/A) (N/A)

Quote:
About Ralco RZ

There so many short throw shifters on the market however only Ralcorz has a shifter available that stands out amongst all others. These shifters are made from the highest quality aluminum and hardened steel. Every Ralcorz Short Shift kit is precision-made for each application. A premium sport shifter engineered for the enthusiast. This Sport Shifter has all of the features including a nice chrome shift knob. Complete replacement for the stock shifter included with every unit.
Key Features: Accepts stock knob Direct bolt on installation Up to 40% throw reduced for quicker shifts Shift Knob Included with most applications Pulleys Ralco RZ Pulleys are designed with a unique blend of performance and reliability. These pulleys are made from the highest quality 6061 Aluminum billet. Ralco RZ pulley conversions are proven to produce maximum power gains with the performance benefits of weight reduction that you wouldn’t receive from factory parts. Throttle response horsepower and torque are all increased with this great product.
Aluminum Flywheels: Ralco RZ High quality polished finish Flywheels are designed on average 50% lighter then the factory oem flywheels. Works with both stock or aftermarket clutches. The flywheel is made to OEM Specs and in most cases accepts a sprung hub aftermarket clutch disk. Most flywheels will come with a Ring Gear and replacement friction insert ready to bolt in.
About ULTRAREV
Ultra Rev Tuning "a dream of the past" has once again created "a dream of the future". For the past eight years dreams at Ultra Rev were successfully created into reality. From a performance shop on the east coast and now on the web Ultra Rev team is commonly being recognized as one of the leading names amongst the performance domestic and import markets.

Our company was established to serve and help car enthusiasts such as yourself to gain access to all of the performance products and accessories that are available for your car at the lowest prices possible.Most importantly the lowest prices found on Ultra Rev is 100% backed up by one of the best customer service help which all of Ultra Rev customers truly deserve. Customer service is very important to us. We strongly suggest for customers to contact our staff representatives if any of your questions need to be attended too. We are just a click away which means we could be reached via e-mail 24hours a day 7 days a week. Customer service could also be easily reached over the phone and fax during our normal business hours Monday-Friday from 9AM-6PM Eastern Standard Time.

With our staff that strives to perfection and consumers like you we have managed to grow into a nation wide corporation servicing interstate Automotive enthusiasts all over the world. The goals which contributed to our success in establishing Ultra Rev were that we introduced a new and convenient way for consumers to buy products and accessories on-line. Our inventory is extensively updated which means most products are ready for immediate shipment via FED-EX or UPS once you place your order. Ultra Rev is also proud to be the first in supplying consumers with new products once they enter the market that means our inventory is always updated to keep you going with the trends of the market.

We would like to thank our valued customers for emphasizing trust and constant support in Ultrarev Inc. We promise to continue showing you our appreciation for choosing UltraRev to buy your automotive performance parts.
Ive emailed them for pics and dimensions just waiting to here back.
Dont know if they are just some cheap brand of if they are decent.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Apparently they are copies of brand name shifters and you should be able to offer about $99 on ebay and they will accept it. Heard good reviews on the quality.

So once i get some pics we can find out if its a Rogue copy or the other brand (i forget)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

wow thanks for getting the ball rollin' on these. Will stay up to date with this.
I was otherwise looking at the AutoSolutions SSK, since I checked one out in person with a local Z4M owner that has it installed (AS's very first customer). I was sold on how it felt/shifted, but when I contacted AS, they wanted $400+ for their kit, and there would've been a lead time of quite a few weeks. I was not down for a short shifter @ that price

edit: I can see that this specific kit doesn't have a selector rod (horizontal piece), which technically makes this inferior to the AS kit.

Also, weren't there other SSK's out there that fit the "Z4 3.0si" transmission for around $150-$200 total?

Last edited by mfanatic325; 09-15-2010 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #4
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Just did a bit more research. There's a B&M kit for the Z4M, but it vibrates/rattles at higher speeds, and is very stiff to get into gear.

Then there's the UUC SSK model #: USSZ43 which costs $325 +
I think they have a selector rod option coming out soon, but will probably cost another arm or leg

And then there's the Rogue Engineering Octane SSK for $165, but I don't think it has the selector rod, and I'm asking forum vendor EAS if it'll fit the Z4M.

Last edited by mfanatic325; 09-15-2010 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Just got a pic from Ralco...
Tried comparing it to others but couldnt find a direct copy. Maybe they did design a new ssk? They didnt send any more info though.

Just for reference here is the Autosolutions SSK and stock.

Last edited by The__J__Factor; 09-15-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

no thanks.
      09-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
And then there's the Rogue Engineering Octane SSK for $165, but I don't think it has the selector rod, and I'm asking forum vendor EAS if it'll fit the Z4M.
It fits.... I have it on my car and so does my brother.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
no thanks.
Love how helpful your comments are.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
It fits.... I have it on my car and so does my brother.
They don't offer a selector rod yet right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
lol he's just being truthful haha dun take it to heart. He's actually one of the key members of our small community, developing the tuneless header SIMs, etc.

But yeah anyhow, it looks like the Rogue is the cheapest one as of yet. They're the only ones that didn't mark up the kit due to the addition of an "///M" badge under the fitments list lol. But it isn't a "complete" kit without the selector rod; in which case AutoSolutions seems to come in next place in terms of value/cost.
Rogue and UUC are in the same shoes at the moment: selector rod in development, and will be an additional $100+ once they're released.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
It looks like crap, and I can see it's one of the ones where you twist the lever to adjust height which means it will always twist a little no matter how much you lock it down.

I make plenty of ultra helpful comments to make useless ones, why your panties are in a bunch IDK.
      09-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It looks like crap, and I can see it's one of the ones where you twist the lever to adjust height which means it will always twist a little no matter how much you lock it down.

I make plenty of ultra helpful comments to make useless ones, why your panties are in a bunch IDK.

The point of this thread was to find out more about it, i dont care if its shit - i just wanted reasons why.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

you must be new here...if o-cha says its garbage then basically thats law....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
you must be new here...if o-cha says its garbage then basically thats law....
I didn't style myself as such, people just trust my input on a lot of things.

I've put these type of SSks in, and they suck, simple as that, I tell people it's going to be wobbly no matter what you do, and that's the opposite of what an SSK is meant to be achieved.
      09-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

I love my UUC SSK, granted it is a major pain in the ass to install however combined with the rk5 knob (like 24oz.) there is no hint of vibrations now...It is quite solid.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Shereef_Osman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC & 89 325is

Quote:
I didn't style myself as such, people just trust my input on a lot of things.

I've put these type of SSks in, and they suck, simple as that, I tell people it's going to be wobbly no matter what you do, and that's the opposite of what an SSK is meant to be achieved.
Fully agree, installed a UUC kit and it was horrible. Way too much play. Removed it a week later.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #16
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

okay so whick shifter do i get now?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

I have the UUC shifter in both my Ms, no issues. Just have to make sure the height adjuster is tight before installing. Some early adopters had issues with the wrong damper piece so it didn't matter how tight the adjuster was, the shifter would still rotate and go up/down- I think they replaced these no questions asked.

My experiences with UUC have been mixed but I like their shifters. This Ralco looks to be a copy of their design......

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0