ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Window glass Alignment - adjustable ??

Greetings... does anyone know whether or not the "alignment" of the window glass is adjustable when in the fully raised position ??

I am trying to solve a whistling window seal problem, and by chance I noticed that dropping the glass about 1/16 of an inch kills the whistle but keeps the window gap sealed. This is hit or miss with the window control. The weather stripping itself is in near-new condition, nothing visibly wrong with it. I'd rather not replace it if it's not necessary, and that may not solve the problem.

This is a really annoying whistle at highway speeds. I'd like it to be silent when fully raised, just like the passenger side is. So, adjusting the glass manually seems to kind of work. Hence the question: can the mechanicals of the lifting mechanism be adjusted to a small degree to drop the glass 1/16 inch?

Service Advisor at Bob Smith BMW doesn't think so, but I want a second opinion.

Thanks for any info.

regards

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Of course there are.
Get on your back, and have a look at the underside of your door. You'll find a couple holes there, with screws way up inside. these are the adjustment screws. Been a while since I looked, so I can't remember off the top of my head which hole adjusts which direction, and I'm too lazy to walk downstairs to the garage, but it's pretty easy to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Yes it is adjustable. Stealiers .

When at Homecoming in S.C. I had mine adjusted, However they worked more on the seals on the softtop. I guess that they slide or get out of alignment over the years. You are coming to the event tomorrow right? I will show you what I'm talking about.

Bob
      06-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
bobbydole
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

I too am interested in how to adjust the window. I looked under the door and found a black rubber plug and 2 flat black covers. I removed the rubber plug and looked inside the hole, but didn't not see a screw.

I tried removing one of the flat black covers, but couldn't get it off. It does seem to be covering something, but I didn't want to break anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

I removed the round rubber plug and with the window lowered, did see the torx bit [T-25] but I cannot get my bit driver through the narrow gap in the sheet-metal brace jut below it. I need to get a longer once piece t-25 driver to get at the screw.

Incidentally I can only see the one Torx screw for adjustment. There may be others of which I'm unaware.

I'll post more when I get the right tools for the job.

RC

Last edited by blender; 07-01-2009 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
bobbydole
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

I took my car to the dealer today and had them adjust the vertical alignment of the window. The window now drops more when the door is open. I'm not sure how the adjustment was made, but if your car is still under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them do it. Hopefully they won't mess up anything else. This is the 2nd time I had to take it back to have the same window adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Window noise problem solved [mostly]

I was able to get my driver's side window noise squelched 98% by loosening the single visible Torx-25 bolt mentioned above. I moved it three revolutions couterclockwise. This reduced the noise by around 50%. I then following the published "Window Reinitialization Procedure" and this got me another drop in noise. I believe this procedure re-calibrates the auto glass drop feature and possibly has to recalibrate the fully raised position to do so. Pragmatically, it worked.

I used this "Window Reinitialization procedure" :

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer

I find that in my case the remaining slight noise can be squelched by opening the window, pushing the weather stripping firmly against the roof edge, and raising the window.

good luck!

regards

RTC
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
cabear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

i have a pretty bad air leak from my passenger window, i can feel it when the window is up, the first four inches from the door the window glass is tight against the top seal, then for like four inches from there until the glass starts to curve it gets loose, then gets tighter as the glass curve and flattens out for the top. im unsure of which way the adjustment screw is supposed to be turned, a poster above said counterclockwise, did that work for everyone else too?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Krytox lube (amazon) works really well on our seals, I was amazed at the quietness of the seals now. They seem to absorb the krytox and "swell" them up a bit, they are soft but not sticky like a grease.
      10-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
McKoval
Poland
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0si 2006

I know this is an old topic, but some problems (eg. windows adjustments) are coming out every now and then..
So some of you might be interested in BMW manual:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/08/42

Cheers,
Mck
      11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

My passenger window on my 06 Z4M has recently come off the track! I hope it didn't crack the glass, but it made some awful noise....

Is removing the door panels difficult? How much would I expect the dealer to fix this issue?

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
Is removing the door panels difficult?
Not hard at all, but to do it right you should invest in a torque driver.

I wouldn't trust a dealer to tighten everything back up to spec. The TIS is fairly explicit in the torque that most screws take.

The only big warning is make absolutely sure the key isn't in the ignition. This way there's no chance of the side airbag going off in your face.
      11-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
My passenger window on my 06 Z4M has recently come off the track! I hope it didn't crack the glass, but it made some awful noise....

Is removing the door panels difficult? How much would I expect the dealer to fix this issue?
Door panel isn't hard to remove. Biggest PITA is cutting the butyl tape to take off the sound deadeneing material without destroying it. Also remember to disconnect tha battery before disconnecting the air bag so you don't set a code.

Here's a DIY

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Not hard at all, but to do it right you should invest in a torque driver.
That is a lot of money for a limited use item....

The TIS is that explicit because they are German... most of the screws or nuts in the door have a rather large tolerance for torque...
Appreciate 0