ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #1
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Question on Headlights

Hi all!

I've got a silver, 2006 Z4M that I picked up back in March. I'm loving it so far, but the lights have gotten cloudy, and one of them went out recently so I've been thinking of replacing them entirely, rather than just the bulbs.

Does anyone know much about headlights for the Z4? I'm wary of buying the $300 sets on Amazon, and don't know which brands to trust. I've heard if you're not careful you can end up with a cheap set that isn't very bright or doesn't work well.

I'd love to get a dark pair with angel eyes, something like in this setup:

Any ideas on where I could get a set like that, or just advice on what to look for in general?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Have you searched the forum for "Spyder".
You may find advice on what to look out for.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.
      10-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Ponta
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si roadster

The cheapest set of bixenon headlamps (used) would cost you about 1800$ according to ebay.
LCI chrome ones.
I will try really hard to rescue your present headlamps.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Restoring your current headlights or having a reputable lighting shop handle all of your requests is a much better option than buying new/used OEM headlights or going aftermarket. OEM is too expensive and the latter has some iffy reviews/results.
      10-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
If your headlights have condensation inside of them that indicates a bad seal or vent tube. Each headlight has 3 vent tubes that you should check. For the seal, you can buy new backplates or apply silicone sealant. I went with the latter and haven't had any issues ever since. If the lenses themselves are hazing, you can try to restore them with a 3M headlight kit and some elbow grease (or some DIYs even use toothpaste). I did this on my old Honda Accord and it was an easy fix, but you really need to apply pressure when buffing the paste off. The light components, such as ballasts and bulbs, are pretty easy to replace but will run you a couple hundred. As for the angel eyes themselves, you're looking at a custom job. I got mine done by a forum member, Pungo, about a year ago and have been really happy with them. Here is a picture:

Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
If your headlights have condensation inside of them that indicates a bad seal or vent tube. Each headlight has 3 vent tubes that you should check. For the seal, you can buy new backplates or apply silicone sealant. I went with the latter and haven't had any issues ever since. If the lenses themselves are hazing, you can try to restore them with a 3M headlight kit and some elbow grease (or some DIYs even use toothpaste). I did this on my old Honda Accord and it was an easy fix, but you really need to apply pressure when buffing the paste off. The light components, such as ballasts and bulbs, are pretty easy to replace but will run you a couple hundred. As for the angel eyes themselves, you're looking at a custom job. I got mine done by a forum member, Pungo, about a year ago and have been really happy with them. Here is a picture:
Thanks! That's super helpful! They're not fogging on the inside, but are just sort of yellowing, as headlights on cars that are 11 years old tend to do...

My BMW mechanic recommended sanding them down and polishing them, he showed me some results and they look pretty good. That's totally an option, and probably what I'll do after reading these responses. I just like the black headlight aesthetic, particularly the style I linked in that first post. But I love those angel eyes on yours, I've seen your car on IG and it looks great, that's exactly the effect I'm going for. My angel eyes are mostly faded, so maybe there's an alternative.

So basically, pay $1,800 for an OEM solution; risk a shoddy aftermarket kit that may have problems; or, just get them sanded and replace the bulbs?

Thanks for the advice guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordgeist View Post
Thanks! That's super helpful! They're not fogging on the inside, but are just sort of yellowing, as headlights on cars that are 11 years old tend to do...

My BMW mechanic recommended sanding them down and polishing them, he showed me some results and they look pretty good. That's totally an option, and probably what I'll do after reading these responses. I just like the black headlight aesthetic, particularly the style I linked in that first post. But I love those angel eyes on yours, I've seen your car on IG and it looks great, that's exactly the effect I'm going for. My angel eyes are mostly faded, so maybe there's an alternative.

So basically, pay $1,800 for an OEM solution; risk a shoddy aftermarket kit that may have problems; or, just get them sanded and replace the bulbs?

Just check with a detail shop. I had my headlights refinished in my driveway by one of these services. Cost about $50 and took all of 20 minutes. No need to remove the headlights, no damage to paint. Look brand new, no yellow or fogging.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Ponta
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si roadster

Quote:

Best option IMO is to gave them a little spa at detailing spot and to replace D2S bulbs, OEM Hella are not expensive 40 - 55$ per bulb. This is what I would do and what I did in the previous zed.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponta View Post
Quote:

Best option IMO is to gave them a little spa at detailing spot and to replace D2S bulbs, OEM Hella are not expensive 40 - 55$ per bulb. This is what I would do and what I did in the previous zed.
Had my headlights restored as well but word to the wise, just a simple kit and sanding is a short term fix, it will just happen again. Take your car to a reputable paint shop. They will restore and then shoot a clear over them. This will seal them and insure the restoration will last.

PS the black lights may seem cool now but over time they will become a thing of the past. OEM will always be the way to go. Upgrade your halos if you must but replacing the whole housing with some Amazon or eBay knock off would be the WRONG way to go. In my opinion course...
      10-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

What is it with people looking AT headlights. Get behind the wheel. Turn on the headlights. Can you see them? Can you see THE ROAD?
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
Had my headlights restored as well but word to the wise, just a simple kit and sanding is a short term fix, it will just happen again. Take your car to a reputable paint shop. They will restore and then shoot a clear over them. This will seal them and insure the restoration will last.

PS the black lights may seem cool now but over time they will become a thing of the past. OEM will always be the way to go. Upgrade your halos if you must but replacing the whole housing with some Amazon or eBay knock off would be the WRONG way to go. In my opinion course...

Very true! I completely agree, classic is always best. This doesn't, of course, mean I'll only keep one set of headlights. This car is a hobby, and it's fun to play with how it looks. I think the black looks more sinister, but I've no idea if it will hold up, and I suspect you're probably right. Trendy never lasts. If it did, I'd be slapping some Altezzas on this puppy... *shudder*

I will probably do just that, get them polished. Any recommendations on which halos to go with? The current halos are very dim.

The way my mechanic described it (Chris Keefer, for anyone in San Diego, he's a great guy, very thorough), he would sand the lights with different grains five or six times, then I think he said clear coat it? Anyways he did it to his own Porsche and it looks brand new.

wdb , I get what you're saying, but then it's like, why make any mods to the way your car looks? You're behind the wheel, you don't see them... cause it's fun! This is the first car I've ever owned that I could play with, as far as modding it, and that's the best part, IMO, is customizing it.

But to each his own
Appreciate 2
bdn3d92.00
Redacre367.50
      10-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #12
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Nordgeist,

Headlight restoration is an easy job with many detailers offering the service, and many DIY kits are available. Basically you treat it like paint correction on a car. You "cut" away a thin layer with a compound and then you polish the plastic.

If you decide you want to try adding halos, painting the inside, etc, here is a link you might find useful.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724153

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponta View Post
My Z4MR's headlights received Venture Shield (aka 3M) clear protection in Mar 2010 and my headlights appear OEM today....the protection included paint, mirrors, rocker panels below the doors, etc.