ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Spedracer81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Exclamation Keys not working..

So I went to lock my car, and the key didn't work. Tried the other set..nothing...could both batteries be dead at the same time? I haven't disconnected my battery on the car, it usually sits on a trickle charger most of the week..

Cant get the car to lock or unlock without doing it manually...which is kind of embarrassing...

Any thoughts? do I need to reset something?

| 2008 Interlagos Blue Z4MC |
| AA Tuning | RPI Scoop | H&R Sport Springs | Sportline CS 16 CSL Wheels | Magna Flow Custom Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Other thoughts...

When you have the car started and running do ALL other functions work? Perhaps the car has slipped into Transport mode and this is one by product (though I've never heard of it).

If you don't drive your car often enough, both batteries may have died. The batteries in these keys are rechargeable batteries and only charge while they are in the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedracer81 View Post
So I went to lock my car, and the key didn't work. Tried the other set..nothing...could both batteries be dead at the same time? I haven't disconnected my battery on the car, it usually sits on a trickle charger most of the week..

Cant get the car to lock or unlock without doing it manually...which is kind of embarrassing...

Any thoughts? do I need to reset something?
Most likely they've just lost their programming that links them to the car. The rechargeable batteries in those will hold a charge a long time. If you haven't done the key programming before, you can find a guide to it here.
Appreciate 0