ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

noob question: squared setup

thinking about running a squared setup for daily use. Any cons?

probably an obvious question, but i still dont know the answer. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

wtf is a squared setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'm actually considering a squared setup myself. I don't see any issues with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
wtf is a squared setup?
I believe that is same size Wheels front/rear....

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

I've looked into it, but i want a 265 rubber in the back, and i couldnt make that work in the front without making modifications to the car that i do not wish to make. also, i've read that since our car was engineered for the staggered set-up, switching to a squared setup without making changes to support that setup isn't favorable for handling? wish i could remember where i read that. just some food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Only downside that I know is you will need to use spacers and negative camber (shims, pull alignment pins or camber plates depending on tire size). Spacers for clearance in front or to flush the rears.

Going 18x9.5, 265/35's myself.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
wtf is a squared setup?
Haha effin Villalona! I was waiting for your comment, but it was surprisingly not what i was expecting

Yeah like someone else said, tires the same on all four corners
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
I've looked into it, but i want a 265 rubber in the back, and i couldnt make that work in the front without making modifications to the car that i do not wish to make. also, i've read that since our car was engineered for the staggered set-up, switching to a squared setup without making changes to support that setup isn't favorable for handling? wish i could remember where i read that. just some food for thought.
exactly the reason i was wondering. I heard it was not so much the compromised handling, but rather a sacrifice in turn-in feel
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
exactly the reason i was wondering. I heard it was not so much the compromised handling, but rather a sacrifice in turn-in feel
yea, i wasn't exactly sure, as i can't quite remember where or when i read that. but i figured i would chime in and maybe someone else had better information on that subject.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
yea, i wasn't exactly sure, as i can't quite remember where or when i read that. but i figured i would chime in and maybe someone else had better information on that subject.
yeah thats what i try to do as well, but the wheel/tire area of Zpost is rather void of traffic
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
what are the pros of going square? I cant think of any

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Two potential advantages to going square:

Reduced understeer
Ability to rotate tires (even tire wear)

Issues usually revolve around having enough room to run this type of setup. The Z4M has the E36 front-end, so IIRC other threads on this you can't get anything like a 265 width to fit-255 probably does with some tire/wheel combos, but ability to set camber is somewhat limited then due to space IIRC.

If tire wear is an issue, then I think agree with The Hack (other thread) where he states that you don't really save as net wear is pretty much the same--the difference is you replace 4 tires less often rather than replacing 2 more often.

Understeer can pretty much be managed with camber settings, and I'd rather go that route personally as it facilitates more even tire wear (assuming you track or auto-x a bit, or like to canyon carve).

I seem to recall some folks saying the car did not handle well square and it really wasn't designed to run in that config.

Eccentric--what requirements are you trying to fulfill with a square set-up?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
cmark8
M52, M62TU, S50US, S54, S65
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT, E36 Touring MT

I'm currently running a squared setup for track days and I can say that it reduces understeer significantly. I'm running volk te-37 18x9 et40 with toyo r1r 255/35. But for DD'ing, I'm not sure if it makes any difference. Also, I prefer a staggered combo for street, since it looks way nicer.

1995 E36 M3 USA / 2002 E46 M3 SMG / 2008 E90 M3 6MT
1996 E36 328i Touring 5MT / 1998 E36 323Ti M Sport 5MT
2002 E39 540i Protection
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i run square, only because i'm too cheap to have 2 different sets for street/track. great for auto-x. i don't even bother to rotate considering how the back right will always pick up the nicks/rash and last thing i want is to spread the damage to 2 wheels lol. i dont drive anywhere near the limit on the road so it's not noticeable. but to cmark8's point, i do run spacers on the rear for aesthetics when it's not tracking.
      03-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the input guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Two potential advantages to going square:

Reduced understeer
Ability to rotate tires (even tire wear)

Issues usually revolve around having enough room to run this type of setup. The Z4M has the E36 front-end, so IIRC other threads on this you can't get anything like a 265 width to fit-255 probably does with some tire/wheel combos, but ability to set camber is somewhat limited then due to space IIRC.

If tire wear is an issue, then I think agree with The Hack (other thread) where he states that you don't really save as net wear is pretty much the same--the difference is you replace 4 tires less often rather than replacing 2 more often.

Understeer can pretty much be managed with camber settings, and I'd rather go that route personally as it facilitates more even tire wear (assuming you track or auto-x a bit, or like to canyon carve).

I seem to recall some folks saying the car did not handle well square and it really wasn't designed to run in that config.

Eccentric--what requirements are you trying to fulfill with a square set-up?
Great response, thanks

I wanted a setup^2 for 3 reasons: I think it has great aesthetic appeal; I originally thought it would be nice to be able to rotate the tires; I wanted to reduce understeer.

But it seems, as you mentioned, that all of my reasons, other than the aesthetic ones, could be satisfied in other (cheaper) ways.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
re: the car not handling as well as it was not designed to run in that config, the counter argument to that would be the e36 m3 which originally did come square until people started complaining about the back end coming out so bmw changed to staggered.
      03-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #17
IRunOnE
Rep
Drives: Z4

if you're going to change the suspension then you're pretty much reegineering the set up. squared will make the car more tail happy but there are ways to remedy that. try to balance it out with other mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys

Great response, thanks

I wanted a setup^2 for 3 reasons: I think it has great aesthetic appeal; I originally thought it would be nice to be able to rotate the tires; I wanted to reduce understeer.

But it seems, as you mentioned, that all of my reasons, other than the aesthetic ones, could be satisfied in other (cheaper) ways.
I highly recommend the Turner Camber Bolt "solution" if reduction in understeer is what what you're after. Super cheap, and you can get anywhere from -1.0 to about -2.4 in the front w/o plates. Cost is about 30 bucks for the bolts + 130 for alignment which is way cheaper than either a square set-up or camber plates. (It's nice to be able to adjust camber this way w/o the expense of plates.) Personally, I think we need the 265s at the rear given the car's power....but these are very subjective areas of course.

The car is a totally different beast with with the front camber at -1.5 and 1/16 toe-in (vs. the max stock -.9 we could get--lots of push with that). No rollover at the track last weekend--and I think as we improve our driving skills we'll take things up to -2.+ front (not good enough IMO for those settings yet). -1.5 front is pretty good for and aggressive street set-up. Even as a DD we get pretty even wear up front (toe is key there) since the car sees some back-road use.

The Hack gives a great suggestion here on how to use these as "adjustible plates" for Auto-X or Track. Certainly worth a try IMO given the minimal expense (but it doesn't provide the cosmetic appeal of course).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I highly recommend the Turner Camber Bolt "solution" if reduction in understeer is what what you're after. Super cheap, and you can get anywhere from -1.0 to about -2.4 in the front w/o plates. Cost is about 30 bucks for the bolts + 130 for alignment which is way cheaper than either a square set-up or camber plates. (It's nice to be able to adjust camber this way w/o the expense of plates.) Personally, I think we need the 265s at the rear given the car's power....but these are very subjective areas of course.

The car is a totally different beast with with the front camber at -1.5 and 1/16 toe-in (vs. the max stock -.9 we could get--lots of push with that). No rollover at the track last weekend--and I think as we improve our driving skills we'll take things up to -2.+ front (not good enough IMO for those settings yet). -1.5 front is pretty good for and aggressive street set-up. Even as a DD we get pretty even wear up front (toe is key there) since the car sees some back-road use.

The Hack gives a great suggestion here on how to use these as "adjustible plates" for Auto-X or Track. Certainly worth a try IMO given the minimal expense (but it doesn't provide the cosmetic appeal of course).
Great info! I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks, buddy

Is it a DIY project?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Great info! I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks, buddy

Is it a DIY project?
Absolutely. Takes like half an hour to do. You'll want to schedule an alignment pretty soon after since you end up with pretty significant toe out once the camber changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Absolutely. Takes like half an hour to do. You'll want to schedule an alignment pretty soon after since you end up with pretty significant toe out once the camber changes.

word, thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
steveff4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmark8 View Post
I'm currently running a squared setup for track days and I can say that it reduces understeer significantly. I'm running volk te-37 18x9 et40 with toyo r1r 255/35.
I'm interested in a squared setup for track days. Is your suspension modified in any way? I'm curious about any problems running the 255/35s in the front, so your setup intrigues me.

I'm also interested in the square setup to allow for tire rotation because I'm trying to be cheap.

2013 BMW M3 Coupe :
Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package : ACM exhaust
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
pics of M3
Appreciate 0