ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #23
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
So I flushed my brakes, replaced rotors, new pads, I thought it would solve the mushy pedal feel,but it feels the same...
Is the z4m pedal like that? When you press it hard, does it go lower than the gas pedal?
At the track I kinda go on gas when Im doing heel n toe.
I don't recall; I've had SS lines for a number of years. I don't remember it feeling "mushy" before. The SS lines do make a difference however. Perhaps some guys with stock systems can comment.
I do have ss lines with BBK... I'm gonna take to a shop and tell them to see if they can fix that. Thsbks
      02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
So I flushed my brakes, replaced rotors, new pads, I thought it would solve the mushy pedal feel,but it feels the same...
Is the z4m pedal like that? When you press it hard, does it go lower than the gas pedal?
Did you cycle the abs?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #25
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Quote:
Did you cycle the abs?
What is that? Lol
      02-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #26
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The brake ABS system pump can have some air ....and old fluid.
Most shops don't do it or know about it.

I haven't needed/done it yet myself, but will when I flush this spring.
I have heard several different stories about an activation procedure in DIS
I'm going to check it out in Rheingold as well.

The other method is to go out after a normal flush & get hard into ABS several times, then come back and rebleed.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #27
Wotfun
Wotfun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si

Quote:
I'm probably very late with this response. Sorry for that. New to the forum. Just thought I'd share my experience with my '07 Z4 Coupe 3.0 si (manual)...when threshold braking on track, my brake pedal goes about 1.5" below my gas pedal. I wouldn't say it felt mushy/soft, but it did make heel/toe very difficult for me.

I use ATE brake fluid and change it in he spring or summer, depending on when my first track weekend is scheduled. I fixed my H/T problem by adding a wood block on top of my brake pedal. It's actually two pieces that are a little over 1.5" thick. I used it at Summit Point (Shenandoah) this past weekend and it worked great - totally solved my H/T issue. During the offseason, I'm going to work on modifying it further to make it easier to left foot brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #28
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotfun View Post
I'm probably very late with this response. Sorry for that. New to the forum. Just thought I'd share my experience with my '07 Z4 Coupe 3.0 si (manual)...when threshold braking on track, my brake pedal goes about 1.5" below my gas pedal. I wouldn't say it felt mushy/soft, but it did make heel/toe very difficult for me.

I use ATE brake fluid and change it in he spring or summer, depending on when my first track weekend is scheduled. I fixed my H/T problem by adding a wood block on top of my brake pedal. It's actually two pieces that are a little over 1.5" thick. I used it at Summit Point (Shenandoah) this past weekend and it worked great - totally solved my H/T issue. During the offseason, I'm going to work on modifying it further to make it easier to left foot brake.
I stopped using Ate blue after instill had fade at summit main. Now I use Castrol, expensive but worth it. One flush per year and maybe a simple bleed in between.
      10-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #29
TRiCC
E86 M Coupe
Rep

I am using the ATE typ 200 DOT 4 fluid right now, and have not experience any brake fade or had the brake fluid boiling so far. Not too bad for a 1L bottle for $15. Will probably flush every 6 months/8000 miles I only need 1L to do a complete fresh flush/bleed on my Z4's brake system.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #30
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

I use the ATE 200, but I do a system flush after every 3rd track day to keep relatively fresh fluid in the calipers. There's little circulation in the brake system and the fluid in the area of the calipers gets all the abuse and progressively breaks down which makes it more susceptible to boiling and brake fade.