ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #89
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I hear ya J Factor. I am only 24. I believe a lot of us on here are in their 20's.
Bingo Bango... I'm 25, although I've learned how to drive in the street racing days of the 90's, I've long since outgrown that phase and I keep it on the track for insane driving.

That and plans to boost my Z4 to 360+hp...

More on that in the spring.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #90
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You are also an idiot. (I hope this helps to portray my non bias on this subject, or just my enjoyment of calling others idiots, you decide. )

The 335 is geared quite long, it can go a HELL of a lot faster then 155 in 6th, it will drag limit long before the gearing does. The two cars are actually geared quite similarly, as are all 6 speed BMWs. They are geared to reach approximately the same speed in each gear. This means the M actually has a higher multiplication on its torque (shorter gearing) than the 335.

So much so that I've vary rarely used 5th in my 335 (just skip to 5th) but end up in it all the time in the M.

The clutch and transmission in the 335 are also VERY sturdy, The transmission is most definitely stronger then the one in the M.

Also if you think 4.1 gears in a coupe will out drag a new M3, your kind of not smart. Even less intelligent if you think that means anything what so ever.

Damn ignorance indeed.
While we're talking about idiots...what's this thread supposed to be about again?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #91
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
While we're talking about idiots...what's this thread supposed to be about again?
A third idiot dropping his nearly new M coupe off a ridge?
      10-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #92
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
A third idiot dropping his nearly new M coupe off a ridge?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #93
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Sorry if this seems completely inadequate, but that must have been a slap in the face to the OP.

I think that it's quite obvious that he has learned his lesson and is a bit more careful about his driving. Assuming from what he has posted anyways.

And, once again, Im 18 and have a Z4. So.... I'm guessing that makes me a complete idiot just because of my age?

Sorry to hear about the M Coupe, glad your alright.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #94
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHastings0826 View Post
Sorry if this seems completely inadequate, but that must have been a slap in the face to the OP.

I think that it's quite obvious that he has learned his lesson and is a bit more careful about his driving. Assuming from what he has posted anyways.

And, once again, Im 18 and have a Z4. So.... I'm guessing that makes me a complete idiot just because of my age?

Sorry to hear about the M Coupe, glad your alright.
Is yours currently sitting at the bottom of a cliff? Then no, being young and having a Z doesn't automatically make you an idiot, it's the dropping it from tall heights that does.
      10-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #95
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Is yours currently sitting at the bottom of a cliff? Then no, being young and having a Z doesn't automatically make you an idiot, it's the dropping it from tall heights that does.
A lot happens in life you wish you could go back and fix. Life is also about living a little and taking some risks, albeit it's better to think long and hard first considering some. Far easier to play video games I guess when the outcome of crashing a vehicle means an earlier trip to the fridge, and a return trip to start play again.

I consider myself very fortunate to have survived the late 70s as I had the world's fastest production motorcycle at that time (Kawasaki H2) which I didn't have the skill nor experience it needed, and not to mention the brakes and handling at that time made the motorcycle quite dangerous. It well earned its widowmaker reputation. I certainly had some close calls.

All I would accuse the OP of is making a bad choice. The good news is he now has a valuable lesson to keep in his hip pocket for future reference. At least he shared the experience as perhaps a warning to others. For that he gets called an idiot. Not cool.
      10-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #96
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
A lot happens in life you wish you could go back and fix. Life is also about living a little and taking some risks, albeit it's better to think long and hard first considering some. Far easier to play video games I guess when the outcome of crashing a vehicle means an earlier trip to the fridge, and a return trip to start play again.

I consider myself very fortunate to have survived the late 70s as I had the world's fastest production motorcycle at that time (Kawasaki H2) which I didn't have the skill nor experience it needed, and not to mention the brakes and handling at that time made the motorcycle quite dangerous. It well earned its widowmaker reputation. I certainly had some close calls.

All I would accuse the OP of is making a bad choice. The good news is he now has a valuable lesson to keep in his hip pocket for future reference. At least he shared the experience as perhaps a warning to others. For that he gets called an idiot. Not cool.

+1 Lesson learned the hard way but hopefully it was learned none the less. Just advise the OP NOT to get a motorcycle, they are less forgiving.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #97
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
All I would accuse the OP of is making a bad choice. For that he gets called an idiot. Not cool.
Lets play a game called proper use of words in the English language.

Idiot:
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

Foolish:
1. resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise: a foolish action, a foolish speech.

I hope you have enjoyed todays class.
      10-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #98
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

I think we have beat up the OP enuff. We have all done stupid things at one time or another so perhaps we should lighten up a little!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #99
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:

today's
      10-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #100
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Idiot:
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

Foolish:
1. resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise: a foolish action, a foolish speech.

Can you look up the word RARE for us while you are at it? ::runs away and hides::
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #101
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Can you look up the word RARE for us while you are at it? ::runs away and hides::

Shhhh... If you don't talk to them they go away...
      10-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #102
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Wow, you guys DO get raped for insurance in NY. I have full coverage on my Z4, Full coverage on my '08 R6 and liability on my '91 mustang as well as house insurance and it ALL is only $2,124 a year :tup:

edit: Oh yeah, I am 24 and have a speeding ticket within the past year as well.
Inexpensive insurance does not mean it is good.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #103
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
      10-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #104
M-Zed-4
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe

Quote:

Thank you I'm glad some of you understand why I posted this up here... I did not want to post this at all because I knew people would just ridicule me. (or call me an idiot)... But for some hopefully it made them think twice and if it did that at all, then I'm content with this post.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #105
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Inexpensive insurance does not mean it is good.
....okay. What are you trying to say? I have full coverage on all but one vehicle, and at least the standard 100K/300K on all vehicles with a company in good standing that has a reputable name.

What would you consider 'good' insurance?

p.s. I am an actuary so you might not want to get into an insurance/statistics argument with me
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #106
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

I'm glad the guy is ok after such a big crash. I'm only 19 and when started driving first time, I got an E39 M5 with 400HP. I used it as an everyday driver and didn't get into crash. It's because I was always careful about driving. I think the problem with people like myself is that we all think we can drive like pros while the simple matter of the fact is that we can't. Yes, some of us drive better than others and have respect to the road but lets take a look: I know one professional rally driver (polish) who was a great rally driver but died on an unsecured railroad just because he failed at a simple thing of looking out for an incoming train. When on the road I always try to do many simple things which make driving less stressful and when it really takes me to push it hard, I go faster for maybe 4 seconds and before then I look everywhere around to see if it's suitable to do so.

Take your crazy driving on a race track, not local streets which you never know what's gonna hop out of the next corner. That's my advise for 4 years of accident free driving.

BTW: My dad is 65, he started driving when he was 18 and NEVER had a single crash. Maybe this will motivate some of you to be safer while having loads of fun at the same time.
      10-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #107
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
Take your crazy driving on a race track, not local streets which you never know what's gonna hop out of the next corner. That's my advise for 4 years of accident free driving.
Track FTW! More fun with less worries about crazy people around you, depending on the type of track.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #108
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
65-19=46....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #109
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Zed-4 View Post
I guess you can look at this situation from 2 different opinions. one being that the car is responsible for doing this too me. Which is true in a way. However I was the one who was supposed to be in control of the vehicle and I am the one who decided to go on that road in the first place. Or you could make the assertion that the car in fact saved my life.
Kids ....glad to hear you're ok dude.

BTW...I have the same car, but I won't show those pictures to my wife!
      10-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #110
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote: