ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #67
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

where was this canyon?

on the brighter note, your g/f is still skinny.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #68
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Wow, you guys DO get raped for insurance in NY. I have full coverage on my Z4, Full coverage on my '08 R6 and liability on my '91 mustang as well as house insurance and it ALL is only $2,124 a year :tup:

edit: Oh yeah, I am 24 and have a speeding ticket within the past year as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #69
quickfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: quickfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I don't think you can blame to OP for your insane insurance cost.

First off, insurance companies differentiate the Z4 from the Z4M.
In addition to your info, they also look at the likely-hood of that car being in an accident (altered part by the number of vehicles on the road and the avg. age of the drivers). The Z4M was produced in smaller numbers, plus most drivers are older, and/or it's not their only vehicle; therefor there are probably fewer insurance claims for the Z4M then the regular Z4.

Looking at ZGirl's comment below (who also drives a regular Z4), I'd say it has more to do with the fact that you're in New York, young, and if it's your daily-driver.

I pay $1.5k/year for full coverage on my Z4MC. Going from my '06 330i to the M changed my payment by $12.

In the grand scheme of things, my friend. Not related to the Z4 or Z4M but driver demographics in general. Irresponsible young drivers that make mistakes are EXACTLY why my insurance is high.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #70
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

This is what the OP said:

"on that specific turn there was dirt and the m just started to plow right off the side of the road."

What that means is that unless he had been driving a UFO with antigravity propulsion, he would have had the same accident in any car. He was going too fast for conditions, period. The laws of physics took over. It has nothing to do with the design or handling of the Z4M. The very stout construction for such a small car probably saved his life.

This is why 20 year olds should drive slow, cheap cars until they learn how to actually drive, which consists of more than turning the key and pushing the gearshift.

I am not slamming the OP. I'm very glad he escaped without injury and that he didn't kill anyone else as a result of his driving. I am recalling all the years that I drove slow, cheap cars because that's all I could afford, and thinking back, I could have found myself in the same situation. I do experience a feeling of resentment about his smug comments on getting an X5 after that and his sister's M roadster. That part sounds like a spoiled brat spending daddy's money.

By the way I pay $650 per year for full coverage for my Z4MC.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #71
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

dude im so glad you're alive, im 20 as-well and have been dying to get a z4m, even though my 335 is faster that m is a beauty.... i do pretty stupid shit sometimes too and i just pary to God that he protects me like he always has. We all learn our lessons and thankfully yours was only paid in material prices. take it easy buddy as im sure you'll be alright. did you go to the doctor by the way?
      10-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #72
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
dude im so glad you're alive, im 20 as-well and have been dying to get a z4m, even though my 335 is faster that m is a beauty.... i do pretty stupid shit sometimes too and i just pary to God that he protects me like he always has. We all learn our lessons and thankfully yours was only paid in material prices. take it easy buddy as im sure you'll be alright. did you go to the doctor by the way?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #73
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You realize PROceed does NOT make your 335i faster than a Ferrari right? Your 335i is not even close to as fast as the M Coupe. MAYBE straight line only it has a chance to keep up... but we are talking about actual driving aren't we?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #74
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Wowzers. Glad to see you make it out ok. I have a new respect for coupes.
      10-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #75
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You realize PROceed does NOT make your 335i faster than a Ferrari right? Your 335i is not even close to as fast as the M Coupe. MAYBE straight line only it has a chance to keep up... but we are talking about actual driving aren't we?
haha... inexperienced people always view speed as a straight line endevour only....
Run a N/A modded ///M Coupe like Tint Boys and see how fast that 335i of yours is...and then say good by on a roadcourse

On another topic, Glad your alright bro, sucks to lose your car... I would now invest in an ///M drivers school!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #76
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
dude im so glad you're alive, im 20 as-well and have been dying to get a z4m, even though my 335 is faster ... <SNIP!>
O swell. Now we have another accident waiting to happen (errr, I mean another 20-yr-old in a car he has no business driving, nor the driving skillz to safely operate), proving the first statement with his "my dick is bigger than yours" statement.

Kid, I got news for you: that 335i is a fuel-pump-eating, oil-boiling disaster. And if you drive the way you imply, you too will be looking at a pile of scrap metal soon, just like the OP. Get your head out of your ass, quit trying to tell people (M-car owners no less, give us a break already!) that your car is "faster", and maybe, just maybe, you'll live long enough to mature past this infantile stage.

Who the hell lets a 20-yr-old kid into cars like this? The results are predictible, and we can usually lay the blame on idiot parents. Sheesh.
      10-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #77
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
O swell. Now we have another accident waiting to happen (errr, I mean another 20-yr-old in a car he has no business driving, nor the driving skillz to safely operate), proving the first statement with his "my dick is bigger than yours" statement.

Kid, I got news for you: that 335i is a fuel-pump-eating, oil-boiling disaster. And if you drive the way you imply, you too will be looking at a pile of scrap metal soon, just like the OP. Get your head out of your ass, quit trying to tell people (M-car owners no less, give us a break already!) that your car is "faster", and maybe, just maybe, you'll live long enough to mature past this infantile stage.

Who the hell lets a 20-yr-old kid into cars like this? The results are predictible, and we can usually lay the blame on idiot parents. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #78
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

I think everyone under 40 should have to do one HPDE when they buy an M car. Then everyone would realize that its just too much car to "play with" on the streets. By the time your "at the limits of the car" you're going so fast that any mistake could be fatal.

Glad youre OK, and you were wise to wait a year before posting, sorry for your loss on the car, but it is only a car (a really really awesome car but a car none the less)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #79
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
This is the one point that I agree 100% on. Don't say this in the 3er forums though cause a good majority of them have had the cars bought for them... but they are "more responsible" than the rest of kids their age... haha!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #80
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:

Just so you know, you're an idiot. I own a bone stock M coupe and a 335 that I have done everything available to power wise and the M coupe is faster, period.
      10-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #81
M-Zed-4
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe

"I do experience a feeling of resentment about his smug comments on getting an X5 after that and his sister's M roadster. That part sounds like a spoiled brat spending daddy's money."

It's funny that you say that... I live with my sister who is 38 years old. Her and I own a house together... My parents both were killed in a plane crash about 5 years ago... They gave us this house in their will. I am now a Cal Poly SLO Graduate who owns a veterinary practice management business... My business continues to grow and that is where I received the money to finance my X5 and previously leased the M coupe. I'm sorry for being so cross with you, but I believe you hit a soft spot. The first part of your comment I agree with and thank you for saying it...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #82
quickfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: quickfast

Package size aside, I actually thought a chipped 335I was definitely faster than the MC. Does anyone beside O-CHA have experience in this regard?

Of course a straight line test, not because it matters but because it pretty much is the definition of power - handling attributes aside. How many times do you guys race on a track?

But back to the original point, I drive a 2.5i, the car is really no faster than a Maxima or Accord, anyone who thinks otherwise needs a reality check. Im not sure you can even get a car these days that does 0-60 in more than 7 seconds... its all on the driver. Most people (I hope) can PHYSICALLY handle 350 ponies. A lot of people cant, mentally.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #83
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfast View Post
Package size aside, I actually thought a chipped 335I was definitely faster than the MC. Does anyone beside O-CHA have experience in this regard?

Of course a straight line test, not because it matters but because it pretty much is the definition of power - handling attributes aside. How many times do you guys race on a track?

But back to the original point, I drive a 2.5i, the car is really no faster than a Maxima or Accord, anyone who thinks otherwise needs a reality check. Im not sure you can even get a car these days that does 0-60 in more than 7 seconds... its all on the driver. Most people (I hope) can PHYSICALLY handle 350 ponies. A lot of people cant, mentally.
Straight line a chipped 335i would probably be faster than an M Coupe.... but we are talking about actual driving. If straight line is all that mattered Porsche would have been put out of business ( by Chevy of all brands) a while ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #84
Andrewinla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW X3  [0.00]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [5.50]
A shame since BMWCCA LA Chapter has had 3 AutoX events and a HPDE in the last year.

I save it for the track and then drive pretty boring after pushing the limits in a safe environment.

Glad you are safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #85
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Not every one who is their 20's are terrible drivers as everyone keeps slamming on here.
I just turned 21 a few weeks ago and drive a M coupe, before that i had a s/c celica that was making around 300whp in a car that weighed 1120kgs. Had that celica since i was 18 i think and never had a crash.
Have done multiple driving courses such as safety driving and Merc drive days, have also been to the track and done a rally course.
End of the day my times for the rally and track days were only seconds (3-4secs) away from what the instructors where achieving whilst i was a good 5-15seconds faster then the other people who attended.
I Love driving, i love my car and hate people who think my cars arnt right for me because of my age and all the other stereotypical insults that fly around.
Age has nothing to do with skill.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #86
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Straight line a chipped 335i would probably be faster than an M Coupe.... but we are talking about actual driving. If straight line is all that mattered Porsche would have been put out of business ( by Chevy of all brands) a while ago.

People fail to factor in the obvious reason why a 135i or 335i feels fast. Fact is they are geared far lower across all 6 gears (on average 13%) than a Z4 M. The Z4 M has long legs and the N54 equipped cars don't (they can barely go to their 155 limit while a Z4 M can reach 168 in 5th gear). Throw a 3.91 or 4.10 final drive gear in the back Z4 M and watch it out drag a new M3.

Why would someone think a heavy 335 with a 10% less whp motor would be faster than a Z4 M? Not to mention the clutch differences. The 335's clutch won't hold up to much hard use, and won't take kindly to additional horses. Go ahead and chip your N54 and create more package imbalance than already exists.

Damn ignorance...
      10-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #87
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I hear ya J Factor. I am only 24. I believe a lot of us on here are in their 20's.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #88
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
People fail to factor in the obvious reason why a 135i or 335i feels fast. Fact is they are geared far lower across all 6 gears (on average 13%) than a Z4 M. The Z4 M has long legs and the N54 equipped cars don't (they can barely go to their 155 limit while a Z4 M can reach 168 in 5th gear). Throw a 3.91 or 4.10 final drive gear in the back Z4 M and watch it out drag a new M3.

Why would someone think a heavy 335 with a 10% less whp motor would be faster than a Z4 M? Not to mention the clutch differences. The 335's clutch won't hold up to much hard use, and won't take kindly to additional horses. Go ahead and chip your N54 and create more package imbalance than already exists.

Damn ignorance...
You are also an idiot. (I hope this helps to portray my non bias on this subject, or just my enjoyment of calling others idiots, you decide. )

The 335 is geared quite long, it can go a HELL of a lot faster then 155 in 6th, it will drag limit long before the gearing does. The two cars are actually geared quite similarly, as are all 6 speed BMWs. They are geared to reach approximately the same speed in each gear. This means the M actually has a higher multiplication on its torque (shorter gearing) than the 335.

So much so that I've vary rarely used 5th in my 335 (just skip to 5th) but end up in it all the time in the M.

The clutch and transmission in the 335 are also VERY sturdy, The transmission is most definitely stronger then the one in the M.

Also if you think 4.1 gears in a coupe will out drag a new M3, your kind of not smart. Even less intelligent if you think that means anything what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Damn ignorance...
Damn ignorance indeed.