ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw z4 coupe 3.0si

hyper white bulbs for lower bumper (fog) lights..

I've noticed that the lower lights/bulbs in my 2007 z4 coupe 3.0 are very dim. I am in the process of replacing the rest of the lights with led's and would like to replace these as well. I always leave them off because of the poor lighting. Are there any hyper white bulbs for the lower bumper available out there? Has anyone changed these out before?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep
Drives: Bagged Z4

You're talking about replacing your actual fogs right?

If you're looking to increase visibility then 2500k-3000k (Yellow) is the best you can get.

If you're trying to make them more "noticeable" then you can get a 35w 6000k HID kit for them. That will make the light output white and you won't lose too much visibility as far as how the light reflects off the road. (The higher you go up the kelvin scale the more visibility you lose)

Just don't replace the fogs with LED bulbs. LED's aren't made to project light so it will look bright when you're in front of the car but you will have no light hitting the road.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, the two lower lights (fog) lights Do you know where I can find a set of these at? I don't really need them to project light, I just want it too look nice and bring and match the rest of the car. I would like to see both sets of lights, if you can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

eBay. Type in the bulb size followed by "led"
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Not to be a dick, (this subject just always annoys me)

You do realize that they are Fog lights? Right, they are for fog. They actually hinder your ability to see distance if you run them all of the time. They fatigue your eyes by eliminating the road right in front of your thus producing glare on your windshield. They may look cool, but they are impairing your ability to drive.

Venting off---
Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Not to be a dick, (this subject just always annoys me)

You do realize that they are Fog lights? Right, they are for fog. They actually hinder your ability to see distance if you run them all of the time. They fatigue your eyes by eliminating the road right in front of your thus producing glare on your windshield. They may look cool, but they are impairing your ability to drive.

Venting off---
Steve
I would think it would be very hard to drive at all if the lights "eliminated" the road right in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Damn spell check...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

LOL..I hardly drive the car and NEVER turn the fogs on to be honest. I want them to be bright and not dim looking. That was the point..my headlights are just fine when it comes to dealing with the fog. I hear what you're saying though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

35W 5000K HID kit in fogs
Name:  BMW Z4.jpg
Views: 10419
Size:  101.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
turbotoy2791
300 Maraging hub
Rep
Drives: m3

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post
Attachment 632473
Nice! Where'd you get your angel eyes from? They look pretty bright too.
      01-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Nice! Where'd you get your angel eyes from? They look pretty bright too.
Tekarbon - Eric did a great job on them, and yes, they are bright in broad daylight and at night as they are rings of tightly packed LEDs
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Tekarbon - Eric did a great job on them, and yes, they are bright in broad daylight and at night as they are rings of tightly packed LEDs
Nice. I figured those were Tekarbons. Seems like he's the only game in town if we want our lights done. I'll have to read up on some DYIs and see if removing the bumper and lights is something I can do or even have the time to do.

Is this what you bought for your fog lights?
      01-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Nice. I figured those were Tekarbons. Seems like he's the only game in town if we want our lights done. I'll have to read up on some DYIs and see if removing the bumper and lights is something I can do or even have the time to do.

Is this what you bought for your fog lights?
Tekarbon is the easiest/quality way to go, there are other ways of doing them, but you have to be able to cut apart the headlight to install the other halo options out there - not something I was interested in doing. Eric cuts them apart, installs the halos, along with a number of other options that you might want, and re-seals them.

The only DIY you need is the bumper removal - which is just unbolting from top and bottom and yanking it off; the bolts to remove the light are evident once the bumper is off; just have to make sure you mark / take pictures of your OEM mounting position so your gaps are correct when you reinstall; if you can use a screw driver/socket wrench, you can do it.

The link you posted for the HID kit is similar, but I bought the slim style digital/CANBUS ballasts so I didn't get a bulb-out warning. I paid a little more, but I haven't had any issues with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Attachment 632473
Do you have any pics of the fogs shining on a wall?
Do they put out any usable light, or are they just for looks?
Do you also have HID main headlights?

BTW, Those halos look really good on your car!!! Cost?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
White isn't necessarily brighter. I had Hoen xenonmatch, nice white output, close to to oem HID's in color but I later replaced for PIAA yellow fogs which are much better for actual foggy conditions.
      01-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Do you have any pics of the fogs shining on a wall?
Do they put out any usable light, or are they just for looks?
Do you also have HID main headlights?

BTW, Those halos look really good on your car!!! Cost?
Pungo, yes they generate useable light, and yes, I replaced the OEM halogen headlights with a 35W 5000K HID kit as well.

Here are the pics you requested (forgive the poor quality camera-phone pics, but you get the idea)

Fogs
Name:  HID Fogs.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  49.5 KB

Fogs and head lights
Name:  HID fogs and headlights.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  58.5 KB

As for the cost of the Tekarbon Angel eyes, it was $299.95 + shipping (I shipped myself to save some $$) - here is his site: http://www.tekarbon.com/store/custom...ect-p-414.html
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
White isn't necessarily brighter. I had Hoen xenonmatch, nice white output, close to to oem HID's in color but I later replaced for PIAA yellow fogs which are much better for actual foggy conditions.
Very true, as you go up in color temperature, you lose useable light ...... only reason I went with 5000K was to match my headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pungo, yes they generate useable light, and yes, I replaced the OEM halogen headlights with a 35W 5000K HID kit as well.

Here are the pics you requested (forgive the poor quality camera-phone pics, but you get the idea)

As for the cost of the Tekarbon Angel eyes, it was $299.95 + shipping (I shipped myself to save some $$) - here is his site: http://www.tekarbon.com/store/custom...ect-p-414.html
Thanks for the pictures of the fogs up against the wall. The look like they have a nice low cutoff and would not blind oncoming drivers. Do you ever get flashed with the fogs on? I want to use the fogs as cornering/driving lights and not really fog lights. We really don't get much fog where I live. I have factory HIDs, so I might go with some 4300k HIDs for the fogs.

The Angel Eye price is not too bad since I hear they have to cut them open, then glue them back together. I might have them done one day.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures of the fogs up against the wall. The look like they have a nice low cutoff and would not blind oncoming drivers. Do you ever get flashed with the fogs on? I want to use the fogs as cornering/driving lights and not really fog lights. We really don't get much fog where I live. I have factory HIDs, so I might go with some 4300k HIDs for the fogs.

The Angel Eye price is not too bad since I hear they have to cut them open, then glue them back together. I might have them done one day.
Fog lights are intentionally aimed low for best results (there is also an adjustment screw near the fog light lens as well), so no, if aimed correctly, they will not blind on-coming traffic.

They won't work as "Cornering" lights as the light is only projected forward, not off to the sides, but if you want to run them as a DRL, nothing wrong with that
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fog lights are intentionally aimed low for best results (there is also an adjustment screw near the fog light lens as well), so no, if aimed correctly, they will not blind on-coming traffic.

They won't work as "Cornering" lights as the light is only projected forward, not off to the sides, but if you want to run them as a DRL, nothing wrong with that
I know fogs meant to be low, but didn't know if the HID bulb would cause glare since they are not in a projector. It's good to know that they will not blind oncoming traffic. I've seen too many cars with hids in the fogs that are pretty harsh to oncoming traffic. I think I'll try I set of 4300k hids. Where did you mount your ballasts?

Can you tell a big difference if you have your main beams on then turn on the fogs? I would think it would make the biggest difference when you have the high beams on, the fogs would give good output right in front of the car, while the high beams give good output way down the road? Oh, wait, you added hid bulbs in place of your halogen, so you still have 2 bulbs per side, where I have bi-xenon, which is only one bulb per side. Did you add bi-xenon bulbs?

Many of the roads I drive are skinny back country roads, with no lights and some deer here and there, so good lights are really important to me.

I have a set of Hella DE fogs in my truck and they have a really good light output to the sides, though they have projector lenses.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know fogs meant to be low, but didn't know if the HID bulb would cause glare since they are not in a projector. It's good to know that they will not blind oncoming traffic. I've seen too many cars with hids in the fogs that are pretty harsh to oncoming traffic. I think I'll try I set of 4300k hids. Where did you mount your ballasts?

Can you tell a big difference if you have your main beams on then turn on the fogs? I would think it would make the biggest difference when you have the high beams on, the fogs would give good output right in front of the car, while the high beams give good output way down the road? Oh, wait, you added hid bulbs in place of your halogen, so you still have 2 bulbs per side, where I have bi-xenon, which is only one bulb per side. Did you add bi-xenon bulbs?

Many of the roads I drive are skinny back country roads, with no lights and some deer here and there, so good lights are really important to me.

I have a set of Hella DE fogs in my truck and they have a really good light output to the sides, though they have projector lenses.
PM sent
Appreciate 0