ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Once you go fixed piston you will never go back...

Prepping the MZ4 Coupe for next weekend at Chuckwalla Raceway and swapped in the track pads. It's times like this you really appreciate how much simpler it is to swap out pads on a set of fixed caliper. Unbolt 2 pins, slide them out, pull the pads out, put new pads in, put the pin back. DONE. Did all 4 corners in less than half an hour. Just on the act of swapping out the pads along, about 5 minutes per corner (I swear!).

Using RacingBrake's XR70 compound, Warren said it's got a higher thermal capacity than Hawk's DTC-70 but the dust is less corrosive and the bite more linear. Car will be parked for the next 5 days waiting for the 3 hour long drive out to BFE on Friday. I've always heard about the ease of swapping pads as a great side benefit to fixed calipers, but having experienced it in person on the MZ4 Coupe after sliders for so many years, makes you appreciate these little things.

I still have a new pad spreader that accommodates up to 4 pistons on order, but judging from how easy it was and how little the MZ4 Coupe gets driven now, I doubt I'll be using it THAT much. Although the Joe's Racing tire pressure gauge I orders on the same order from Amazon should retire the old school analog AccuGauge I've been using for the last 12 years.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
abashoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Hi HACK

Are you swapping between street and track pads? Or just putting in a new set of the same pads?

I've always heard that once you use a pad/rotor combo they're typically mated. People have advised me not to just swap in a track pad with the existing rotors and swap the street pad back in when im done.

Whats your opinion on that?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
The HACK
Rep

I've never heard that. The track pad will have scraped away the street pad deposit by your second lap and re-bedded itself in by the second session, so I don't subscribe to the "don't mix track and street pad on same rotor" talk. In 1.5 decades of going to the track with various cars I've always just swap pads and go. The only issue I've ever run into is the street pads tend to squeal the week after a track event, but goes away wih daily use or bed-in.

The last set of RB rotors saw 7 years on the MZ4 Coupe, constantly swapping back and forth between a plethora of compounds on the same rotor. Never had a problem.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:18 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I've been swapping in/out DTC-60s and Stoptech Street Performance for some time. No issues. Bed each sets of pads and their good to go. I just restore the "used" pads to their same sides for consistency's sake. Doubt even that makes much difference, but, it does give me a way to ensure I'm noting even pad wear. I just pop the "used" pads in to marked ziplocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
The HACK
Rep

The only issue I can foresee, is if the rotors are OLD and has a lip around it already. Then if your old pads fits within the lip, and if the track pad is taller and covers up the lip, then you'll have some problem with the significantly reduced contact patch for a little while, at least until the lips on the rotor has been worn away by the track pad, or the track pad has been worn in by the lips on the rotor.

Since my street pad and track pads gets swapped so often, it doesn't really get "mated" to the rotor and create those weird grooves or lips on the edge of the rotor.
Appreciate 0