ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #45
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

I only see the front caliper upgrade on their site. Is their any new info you can share? I am interested.

I tried performance friction about caliper upgrade and they didn't have an answer, just told me to contact bimmerworld.

And bimmerworlds only solution was for me to sell my current PFC pads and rotors to upgrade to full PFC BBK. Not a very practical solution.

If I already need to rebuild my calipers I think I should make the leap but not sure of other options.

Sorry to thread jack.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #46
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

They don't ship to my country
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #47
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Call or email them about the rear calipers. That's what I did. They're made and ready to ship.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #48
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Call or email them about the rear calipers. That's what I did. They're made and ready to ship.
So you have the front RB 4 pot caliper and rear OEM caliper with RB rotors and pads ?

How's that brake bias working for ya ?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #49
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
So you have the front RB 4 pot caliper and rear OEM caliper with RB rotors and pads ?

How's that brake bias working for ya ?
I only test fitted them, I didn't actually drive them on the track. But based on my calculations, the bias is just fine. The front overall caliper area actually slightly decreased, thus partially shifting a few percentage points of pressure bias to the rear. But since pad sweep area has increased as well, the bias should not alter much. The front calipers CAN be installed as front only kit.

The rear caliper upgrade would be for two reasons: better brake modulation and feel, and more consistent pad and brake performance.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #50
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
I only test fitted them, I didn't actually drive them on the track. But based on my calculations, the bias is just fine. The front overall caliper area actually slightly decreased, thus partially shifting a few percentage points of pressure bias to the rear. But since pad sweep area has increased as well, the bias should not alter much. The front calipers CAN be installed as front only kit.

The rear caliper upgrade would be for two reasons: better brake modulation and feel, and more consistent pad and brake performance.
mmm, ok, so when installing the 4 pot rear caliper as well, the brake rear caliper overall area will also decrease slightly and swept area will increase letting the bias also stay the same as stock, except that the rotor and pad material offer a higher friction coefficient and the caliper will offer better brake modulation.
Is that statement correct?

For all the other people, did anyone install a full RB brake kit, any reviews or feedback? i'm ready to blow some cash
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #51
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
mmm, ok, so when installing the 4 pot rear caliper as well, the brake rear caliper overall area will also decrease slightly and swept area will increase letting the bias also stay the same as stock, except that the rotor and pad material offer a higher friction coefficient and the caliper will offer better brake modulation.
Is that statement correct?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #52
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Any news on the racingBrake BBK ?

I just noticed that they have a 380x32 rotor now:
http://www.racingbrake.com/ProductDe...uctCode=2246-K

Also the rear caliper setup was moved to 2 piston in the rear.

I need some review of their full BBK on the track before I can purchase anything. I don't like to be the guinea pig when it comes to brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #53
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I would suggest against the 380mm kit. My 355mm stoptech only fit under 18" wheels by 3mm.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Any news on the racingBrake BBK ?

I just noticed that they have a 380x32 rotor now:

Also the rear caliper setup was moved to 2 piston in the rear.

I need some review of their full BBK on the track before I can purchase anything. I don't like to be the guinea pig when it comes to brakes.
I've got a set of the front and rear calipers on order. Suppose to pick up "early November," which means the next week or two. The last message I got from RB is the rear brackets are being sent out for powder coating.

Won't make it in time for the AX next Sunday (I'm taking the Veloster Turbo anyway), but will definitely make it in time for the December DE in Spring Mountain.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #55
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
I've got a set of the front and rear calipers on order. Suppose to pick up "early November," which means the next week or two. The last message I got from RB is the rear brackets are being sent out for powder coating.

Won't make it in time for the AX next Sunday (I'm taking the Veloster Turbo anyway), but will definitely make it in time for the December DE in Spring Mountain.
I hope you will get the chance to test those out.

There's something bugging me about the brake bias. how is an E46 M3 before and after 2002 have the same kit with different master brake cylinders?

Reference to a brake bias thread here:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...86&postcount=2

Too many horror stories about RB and not enough track usage posted online.
I mean i like the engineering perspective of the RB BBK kit but I've been looking all day at some track reviews and I couldn't find much for our platform (E46/Z4). only horror stories and idiots who fail at installation and come out crying making 50 pages threads.

Another thing bothering me is the front rotor width. why 30 when all the competition are using 32?

Apologies for coming to you with these questions but it's only because I respect your opinion HACK.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

One more question:

front pistons are 40 and 44 mm
What are the rear piston size (2 pot caliper)?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #57
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
One more question:

front pistons are 40 and 44 mm
What are the rear piston size (2 pot caliper)?
I will measure when I pick up.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #58
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I hope you will get the chance to test those out.

There's something bugging me about the brake bias. how is an E46 M3 before and after 2002 have the same kit with different master brake cylinders?

Reference to a brake bias thread here:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...86&postcount=2

Too many horror stories about RB and not enough track usage posted online.
I mean i like the engineering perspective of the RB BBK kit but I've been looking all day at some track reviews and I couldn't find much for our platform (E46/Z4). only horror stories and idiots who fail at installation and come out crying making 50 pages threads.

Another thing bothering me is the front rotor width. why 30 when all the competition are using 32?

Apologies for coming to you with these questions but it's only because I respect your opinion HACK.

there is a user here with a ess525 blue roadster and a full RB kit. maybe ask him for his review? i would consider stoptech or brembo as well since they are only a few hundred bucks more.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #59
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
there is a user here with a ess525 blue roadster and a full RB kit. maybe ask him for his review? i would consider stoptech or brembo as well since they are only a few hundred bucks more.
Brembo and stoptech are thousands away from racingbrake, please explain to me where are you getting brembo or stoptech for such low prices ?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #60
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

I will have to check the name where I purchased mine. Was 5k shipped to my door on 355 mm 6/4 piston. Kit is flawless and bias/fitment is better than oem
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #61
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
I will have to check the name where I purchased mine. Was 5k shipped to my door on 355 mm 6/4 piston. Kit is flawless and bias/fitment is better than oem
Racingbrake is around 1000$ less than that for a full bbk.

Man i need some reviews.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #62
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Man i need some reviews.
i have the front caliper kit installed with OE front rotors and 19" cs.16 wheels.

fit is perfect. pedal feel is linear and predictable. it's been too cold here for any type of performance tests (POS nexen 3000 tires are *greasy* when it's cold out), so i cannot help with that immediately. from what i can feel just with spirited driving is that the bias seems just a hair more rearward, but not to any detriment of safety. i may try doing another bleed in case i missed a bit the first time. bedding procedure was straight forward and not scary at all.

i'm very impressed with RB; they were very easy to deal with, communicate well, gave me updates almost daily... and the quailty of the fit and finish is very good. zero issues with install. almost no dusting from the RB default supplied pads.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #63
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
i have the front caliper kit installed with OE front rotors and 19" cs.16 wheels.

fit is perfect. pedal feel is linear and predictable. it's been too cold here for any type of performance tests (POS nexen 3000 tires are *greasy* when it's cold out), so i cannot help with that immediately. from what i can feel just with spirited driving is that the bias seems just a hair more rearward, but not to any detriment of safety. i may try doing another bleed in case i missed a bit the first time. bedding procedure was straight forward and not scary at all.

i'm very impressed with RB; they were very easy to deal with, communicate well, gave me updates almost daily... and the quailty of the fit and finish is very good. zero issues with install. almost no dusting from the RB default supplied pads.
I'm thinking about a full BBK kit, front and back including rotors, XT960/10 pads.
That's why i'm looking for reviews and such.

Basically you are using an RB front caliper and that's it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #64
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

some news:
http://www.racingbrake.com/Big-Brake...g-p/2209-k.htm
360x32mm front rotor with the BBK

380x32mm front rotor with the BBK
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #65
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

I've been informed by RacingBrake that this week, someone will submit a much needed full racingBrake BBK review.

This is pretty nice and i'm waiting anxiously. I also hope that it's HACK who purchased the full BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #66
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809636

Last edited by dubsesd; 11-19-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0