ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #67
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post
you need to calm down and actually read the post.

A) i never mentioned rice
B) i'm the one saying that performance mods are true mods, so what exactly are you so offended by?
Misunderstanding on my part.
I interpreted your post as saying people on this board only do cosmetic stuff to their cars.

Performance parts for our cars aren't plentiful and the ones available generally come at a high price, so seeing what could be a decent gain for what it is, a low cost air scoop would be awesome.

To Reach:
Bottom line for products like ducts or intakes, the goal is to increase airflow to the engine. So how is my comparison off base? Ducts are used on the M's to cool the brakes and Dinan makes a pretty penny charging $300 for a molded piece of plastic to function like what RPI is making at what we hope will be significantly less than the Dinan version.

There may be a significant difference between a duct like this and a fully prepped race car with all its aerodynamics worked out, but bottom line, the goal is to aide in improving air flow.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #68
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
Bottom line for products like ducts or intakes, the goal is to increase airflow to the engine. So how is my comparison off base? Ducts are used on the M's to cool the brakes and Dinan makes a pretty penny charging $300 for a molded piece of plastic to function like what RPI is making at what we hope will be significantly less than the Dinan version.
1. You compared a race car's intake system to a pre-filter air scoop for a street car.
2. Everyone knowns Dinan parts are a ripoff. If more money means it must be better, I have a cell phone for you.

I just thought it was funny man, that's all. No hate. There's just no comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #69
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
1. You compared a race car's intake system to a pre-filter air scoop for a street car.
2. Everyone knowns Dinan parts are a ripoff. If more money means it must be better, I have a cell phone for you.

I just thought it was funny man, that's all. No hate. There's just no comparison.
You still need to elaborate how its a bad comparison. As far as street cars are concerned, their technology filters down from a manufacturer's racing division. Technology there is eventually seen in your daily driver. Heavy use of aerodynamic tuning and carbon fibre or other lightweight material such as aluminium alloys also make their way into street cars.

Take for example the first generation Audi TT. It had the tendency for the rear to slip out at high speeds causing spin outs and car crashes. Audi's solution was a rear spoiler that also found its way onto North American cars that would never (legally) see that speed for it to be of concern. Yet aerodynamic tuning is still an important part of your daily driver.

So, yeah, no hate, but why is it a bad comparison?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #70
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Although we saw a gain during our initial dyno test of the scoop (4-5whp), I think we can further improve on the airflow. We will also be testing the ram air set up with an aftermarket filter to see if it allows better breathing.

Price for the scoop: $100-125
Price for scoop+filter: $165-$185

Skid plates will be available to ship in 1-2 weeks. The price for the skid plates will be $75 per set. These are not painted or powder coated as we felt, the first time you scrape something bad, it will take the coating off anyways. Laidback might not want to hear this but our production version of the skid plates are double the thickness of the one we put on his. So, you can all tell him, "Mine is bigger than yours."

Its always our priority and passion to create, design and offer quality/funtional products to our customers....AT A GREAT VALUE. We feel that the ram air set up at the $100 range will out perform many competitors products both in performance and in value (hp/$ ratio).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #71
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

If I can suggest something...you might want to try a scoop that isn't as perpendicular to the airflow...alot of air is going to "reflect" away. At low subsonic speeds you want gentle curves...to help corral the air and send it in the direction you want to go...

I understand the constraints you got for space...just trying to help, cuz I want in on the scoop action too!

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #72
Irish Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Will using the filter upgrade that will be paired with the scoop will the engine be more audible? I suppose that it doesn't make much sense that it would, but perhaps you guys would know how to make this possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #73
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M's

LOL...I knew you like the scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
If I can suggest something...you might want to try a scoop that isn't as perpendicular to the airflow...alot of air is going to "reflect" away. At low subsonic speeds you want gentle curves...to help corral the air and send it in the direction you want to go...

I understand the constraints you got for space...just trying to help, cuz I want in on the scoop action too!
WTF? i want those too
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
Although we saw a gain during our initial dyno test of the scoop (4-5whp), I think we can further improve on the airflow. We will also be testing the ram air set up with an aftermarket filter to see if it allows better breathing.

Price for the scoop: $100-125
Price for scoop+filter: $165-$185

Skid plates will be available to ship in 1-2 weeks. The price for the skid plates will be $75 per set. These are not painted or powder coated as we felt, the first time you scrape something bad, it will take the coating off anyways. Laidback might not want to hear this but our production version of the skid plates are double the thickness of the one we put on his. So, you can all tell him, "Mine is bigger than yours."

Its always our priority and passion to create, design and offer quality/funtional products to our customers....AT A GREAT VALUE. We feel that the ram air set up at the $100 range will out perform many competitors products both in performance and in value (hp/$ ratio).
Eloy (RPI) ordered the BMC filter for me and we'll see if the sound changes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Bimmer View Post
Will using the filter upgrade that will be paired with the scoop will the engine be more audible? I suppose that it doesn't make much sense that it would, but perhaps you guys would know how to make this possible.
Btw couple of updates for you guys...

Since it was raining pretty bad today I took the m coupe and drove it for atleast 80 miles and it was pouring and the car performed well (i was thinking water might seep in but to my surprise it's pretty dry in there...so another win for the scoops!

And also I emailed Eloy this morning and I told him if i'll organize a grp buy for the skid plates if he's interested in giving us a discount and after alot of asian persuasion he said he'll do the SKID PLATES for $65 and since i got the prototype i want the real deal...so here it goes GROUP BUY TIME!

Skid plates....

1. Laidback
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #74
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

i dont want the skid plates...i want a gb for the scoop!!!!!
      01-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #75
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I'm in for the skid plates and scoop, if a GB can be arranged.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #76
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Then you can't get the scoops! j/k i'll talk to eloy about it tomorrow about the scoops...
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammojo View Post
i dont want the skid plates...i want a gb for the scoop!!!!!
1. Laidback
2. Kav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I'm in for the skid plates and scoop, if a GB can be arranged.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #77
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post

We could always cut a NACA duct in the hood and get air directly rammed into the airbox.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #78
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
We could always cut a NACA duct in the hood and get air directly rammed into the airbox.
Yeah, but I doubt that would look good...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #79
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
Then you can't get the scoops! j/k i'll talk to eloy about it tomorrow about the scoops...

1. Laidback
2. Kav
I'm all for a scoop group buy as well.

Is RPI still going to make skid plates for the non M's?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #80
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I talked to Eloy and yes but he has to fabricate one...i'll see the eta on those...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
I'm all for a scoop group buy as well.

Is RPI still going to make skid plates for the non M's?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #81
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Guys RPI will have an open house... on Feb. 9th so all let's go!
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=110795
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #82
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

can you tell us about the installation procedure on the scoop?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #83
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It's pretty easy no need to get the front bumper ...just take the front grill off and the stock intake...and install the rpi scoop...i'm sure RPI will give the necessary instruction hardware...and will guide you on the install just like they helped out the e60/ e63 M guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
can you tell us about the installation procedure on the scoop?

Last edited by laidback; 01-25-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #84
ramone23456
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Please add me to the list for the plates.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #85
buymenow00
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Alpine/Black

I would also like a set of skid plates. Please add me to the list! (Wish you had made these before I scraped my "fangs" a hundred times!)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #86
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No problem...will do
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramone23456 View Post
Please add me to the list for the plates.
Thanks.

Oh i thought of these and good thing RPI did it asap...your "fangs" will thank you for giving them the skid plates....

install on the skid plates is also fairly easy and I ask Eloy to include an instruction along with the skid plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymenow00 View Post
I would also like a set of skid plates. Please add me to the list! (Wish you had made these before I scraped my "fangs" a hundred times!)

Thanks!
Btw guys there is also a grp buy on bimmerfest for the RPI skid plates and so far there are @ 11 guys for the skid plates

1. Laidback
2. Kav
3. ramone23456
4. buymenow00
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #87
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
No problem...will do

Oh i thought of these and good thing RPI did it asap...your "fangs" will thank you for giving them the skid plates....

install on the skid plates is also fairly easy and I ask Eloy to include an instruction along with the skid plates

Btw guys there is also a grp buy on bimmerfest for the RPI skid plates and so far there are @ 11 guys for the skid plates

1. Laidback
2. Kav
3. ramone23456
4. buymenow00
i'm up for a group buy on scoops.... plates i'm not sold on yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #88
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Come on your front bumper will love them
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
i'm up for a group buy on scoops.... plates i'm not sold on yet.
Appreciate 0