ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

New Accelerator Pedal

Should be installing my new gas pedal tonight or tomorrow.... really nervous as I'm hoping this is the solution to my f***ed up throttle and rough running... I've tried replacing the other two TPS to no avail, and this was recommended to me by Platte Forme AG, as it's a common failure.

Please wish me luck...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I assume it doesnt idle rough? Just accelerates rough?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Yellow View Post
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I assume it doesnt idle rough? Just accelerates rough?
Idles very rough sometimes and then smoothes out after a few minutes until you use the gas again. Sometimes idles minty at 900rpm. Sometimes fluctuates and is a bit lumpy.. Accelerates perfectly, but you can the gas pedal "action" isn't linear, per se. It's overly touchy sometimes and then sometimes there's a dead section at the bottom, then VROOM it "catches" and revs way more than you want. Bucks and stuff too if it's running shitty. Makes it very hard to drive the car smoothly. Also, bogs on decel when you push the clutch in and sometimes dies coming to a stop. Seems to do this when I'm coming to a stop quickly and don't catch it beforehand. It'll dip down to 4-500 rpm and then "catch" itself most of the time, but then once it dies, my headlights fuck up for the next few minutes until they've cooled down or something and you restart....

Super weird.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekky View Post
Idles very rough sometimes and then smoothes out after a few minutes until you use the gas again. Sometimes idles minty at 900rpm. Sometimes fluctuates and is a bit lumpy.. Accelerates perfectly, but you can the gas pedal "action" isn't linear, per se. It's overly touchy sometimes and then sometimes there's a dead section at the bottom, then VROOM it "catches" and revs way more than you want. Bucks and stuff too if it's running shitty. Makes it very hard to drive the car smoothly. Also, bogs on decel when you push the clutch in and sometimes dies coming to a stop. Seems to do this when I'm coming to a stop quickly and don't catch it beforehand. It'll dip down to 4-500 rpm and then "catch" itself most of the time, but then once it dies, my headlights fuck up for the next few minutes until they've cooled down or something and you restart....

Super weird.
That doesn't sound like throttle pedal to me.. but I could be wrong since Platteforme is reputable... in my opinion i would think it is spark plug, ignition coil, or fuel injectors since you already throttle position sensors.. did you check for fault codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekky View Post

Super weird.
Oh and it could also be your battery is dying since you said your headlights fuck up which I assume they're fluttering? If you jump a car with a completely dead battery (not rechargeable) it will idle poorly and the lights will flutter, etc. The engine is basically trying to generate electricity to keep itself running
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
z4msteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

BMW has diagnostic software that compares voltage at each of the throttle position sensors and can tell you within about 5 minutes which one isn't working. This isn't a guesswork type of issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That doesn't sound like throttle pedal to me.. but I could be wrong since Platteforme is reputable... in my opinion i would think it is spark plug, ignition coil, or fuel injectors since you already throttle position sensors.. did you check for fault codes?
Spark plugs are new, ignition coil I don't know yet, injectors dunno... Fault code was P1633 Throttle Adaptation. The code is what Platte Forme based their guess on.

Quote:
Oh and it could also be your battery is dying since you said your headlights fuck up which I assume they're fluttering? If you jump a car with a completely dead battery (not rechargeable) it will idle poorly and the lights will flutter, etc. The engine is basically trying to generate electricity to keep itself running
Battery is new. The light problem is hard to describe. Unrelated I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4msteve View Post
BMW has diagnostic software that compares voltage at each of the throttle position sensors and can tell you within about 5 minutes which one isn't working. This isn't a guesswork type of issue.
I didn't know that actually. The BMW dealer here in town can be a bit hard to work with. I bet that will cost me $200 at least for them to tell me that.

Thanks for all the help guys! It's arrived in the city, just waiting to pick it up til Monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Update:

Installed new pedal last night. The part number is the newest listed for Realoem.com and is a completely different looking unit. This had me worried until I pulled off the original piece and realized that the tab on the car side slips right in properly on the new one. It's a new "rod" behind the pedal but it works flawlessly and the new pedal definitely made a difference for driveability! Still have to sort the bogging at idle issue, but the car drives much nicer now so I'm hoping I can pull it out for the summer any day!
Appreciate 0