ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

VAC710 supercharger kit

710 crank hp. I didn't know this was available: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vf-e...z4m-p2798.aspx

"VAC710 Supercharger & Engine System, Collaboration with VAC - Aftercooled high boost w/ built motor A.K.A. highest HP S/C kit available!
Setup for high boost, V3-SCI trim supercharger along with VF's air/water cooled cartridge (aftercooler) inside their cast intake manifold. OEM spring tensioner upgrade, complete high flow fuel system and dual-pumps, MAF-less conversion with custom ECU Software to accommodate this. (header is required)."
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

They were suppose to come out with. Good luck getting it from VF after giving them all your money.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Select it from the drop-down box at the top of the page.
Says:
"Price: Not Available"
      03-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon
Select it from the drop-down box at the top of the page.
Says:
"Price: Not Available"
Yeah bc it requires a fully built motor , low compression pistons , reworked head. ,special crankshaft , fully custom fuel system etc etc . Good luck ever getting that to run lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep

Since it's going to be a built motor, a lot of variables will affect the pricing. I think this kit is custom config and pricing for each customer. Are there reasons to think VF/VAC can't get the kit to run properly?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
...Are there reasons to think VF/VAC can't get the kit to run properly?
One word: software
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Reasons? Yep. Some folks have ongoing software issues. Others couldn't get them to bother to ship product after it had been purchased. I know about two of those cases personally. So call me an educated skeptic.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep

This is supposed to be the 710 kit on a z3m:
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/projec...hp?recordID=28
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
9 lbs boost is too much and fuel pump pressure could be a problem - it is bound to be not very reliable and prone to "never " working the way it should - 500HP - buy a new M-5 or6
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
seank
enthusiast
Rep

I am always hearing about tuning the z4m. If you really want to mod it, get a stand alone for 3-5000 and tune it for anything just how you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #11
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Custom tunes are much cheaper than full standalone and still retain factory features like DSC, TC, ABS, hill assist, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I am confused, I read about aftermarket companies not being able to tune the car so instead I should get a custom tune and do it myself. If they can't do it how will I? If it's not that difficult why can't they do it? I do understand the custom tune may get the most possible out of my specific car but at a slightly lower level and much lower expense and hassle why can't they do a "standard" system? How could the custom tune be "much cheaper" than a full standalone?
      04-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
I am always hearing about tuning the z4m. If you really want to mod it, get a stand alone for 3-5000 and tune it for anything just how you want.
The problem is there are no standalone ECU's with harness's designed for the Z4M ( trust me I have looked extensively) .Our harness is very different from the E46M3. So you need to buy an ECU and pay for a full custom harness to be made, as well as the tuning. Sure it can be done but you are looking at 10k minimum bc of labor.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am confused, I read about aftermarket companies not being able to tune the car so instead I should get a custom tune and do it myself. If they can't do it how will I? If it's not that difficult why can't they do it? I do understand the custom tune may get the most possible out of my specific car but at a slightly lower level and much lower expense and hassle why can't they do a "standard" system? How could the custom tune be "much cheaper" than a full standalone?
A custom tune would be purchased and done through an independent party (i.e. an experienced tuner). One such tuner goes by the name of Frank Smith. A custom tune can be either on the dyno (best case scenario as far as individually-catered performance for your car; which typically involves the client paying out of pocket to fly the tuner over to where the client resides, and the client also pays for the dyno/tuning session) or you could go with a remote tune (lower costs; which typically involves using datalogging hardware and software to record a bunch of vehicle parameters and other information required for tune-tweaking purposes, then the client and tuner keep sending log and tune files via email back and forth).

I myself went with a remote tune through Frank Smith, and he's helped my car tremendously. We're still going through the final phases of datalogging and minute tweaking of the part-throttle driveability, but the car has come a long way thanks to Frank.

The original supercharger tune provided with VF Engineering's kits were atrocious
My car ran like absolute crap. If I hadn't gotten the kit at a really good deal, I wouldn't have bothered putting up with their bullshit. Their customer service is horrid
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

My car is at a much much lower tune than others but the limited interaction I have had with VF has been satisfactory.
The original tune for my application was too rich and kept tripping limp mode.
Their tech remapped my ECU and remotely installed it for me.
It seems to be working good so far since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
A custom tune would be purchased and done through an independent party (i.e. an experienced tuner). One such tuner goes by the name of Frank Smith. A custom tune can be either on the dyno (best case scenario as far as individually-catered performance for your car; which typically involves the client paying out of pocket to fly the tuner over to where the client resides, and the client also pays for the dyno/tuning session) or you could go with a remote tune (lower costs; which typically involves using datalogging hardware and software to record a bunch of vehicle parameters and other information required for tune-tweaking purposes, then the client and tuner keep sending log and tune files via email back and forth).

I myself went with a remote tune through Frank Smith, and he's helped my car tremendously. We're still going through the final phases of datalogging and minute tweaking of the part-throttle driveability, but the car has come a long way thanks to Frank.

The original supercharger tune provided with VF Engineering's kits were atrocious
My car ran like absolute crap. If I hadn't gotten the kit at a really good deal, I wouldn't have bothered putting up with their bullshit. Their customer service is horrid
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62
My car is at a much much lower tune than others but the limited interaction I have had with VF has been satisfactory.
The original tune for my application was too rich and kept tripping limp mode.
Their tech remapped my ECU and remotely installed it for me.
It seems to be working good so far since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post

As you know, I have the same issues (rich tune, stalling in cold weather). I have had the car stored, so I haven't tried to correct them. I was given the option to ship my ECU to them (I would pay, and take the risks associated with shipping the car's brain) or buy their cable for a few hundred dollars. I kinda feel like I'm paying twice and have had to deal with the issues in the meantime.

When I initially sent my ECU to them, the turnaround was acceptable. Responses from technical support have been mixed. I have had a few outstanding responses, and other times I've been ignored releatedly.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #17
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
As you know, I have the same issues (rich tune, stalling in cold weather). I have had the car stored, so I haven't tried to correct them. I was given the option to ship my ECU to them (I would pay, and take the risks associated with shipping the car's brain) or buy their cable for a few hundred dollars. I kinda feel like I'm paying twice and have had to deal with the issues in the meantime.

When I initially sent my ECU to them, the turnaround was acceptable. Responses from technical support have been mixed. I have had a few outstanding responses, and other times I've been ignored releatedly.
Josh, does yours actually stall? mine just went into limp mode in cool weather.
I have yet to run mine under load, I ran it at high revs for quite a long time after the remap was installed with no limp mode where before it would go into limp mode under the same conditions
Will know the whole story once it goes on the road in a few weeks.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #18
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Dave,

It stalls in the sense that the car will no longer accelerate, rpm's bounce off idle, and it ceases to accept throttle input. It's accompanied by a dash full of lights, including an EML. I'll see if I can dig up a video.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Exactly the same symptoms for me Josh.

Just need to get the exhaust back from coating and I can report if the retune by VF has worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Dave,

It stalls in the sense that the car will no longer accelerate, rpm's bounce off idle, and it ceases to accept throttle input. It's accompanied by a dash full of lights, including an EML. I'll see if I can dig up a video.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
The problem is there are no standalone ECU's with harness's designed for the Z4M ( trust me I have looked extensively) .Our harness is very different from the E46M3. So you need to buy an ECU and pay for a full custom harness to be made, as well as the tuning. Sure it can be done but you are looking at 10k minimum bc of labor.
George
I disagree. At the end of the day, it is just an s54. Remove the ecu and you can do anything you want to it. The ecu does not know what car it is in. Standalones have nothing to do with the other rolling up window or any of the other gadgets that are on a modern car.

AEM makes a unit. Andrew Lang, as well as many others, can wire it up for you in a day ($1000). http://store.langracing.com/aem-infi...gement-system/
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
George
I disagree. At the end of the day, it is just an s54. Remove the ecu and you can do anything you want to it. The ecu does not know what car it is in. Standalones have nothing to do with the other rolling up window or any of the other gadgets that are on a modern car.

AEM makes a unit. Andrew Lang, as well as many others, can wire it up for you in a day ($1000). http://store.langracing.com/aem-infi...gement-system/
Well VAC didn't think it was so simple , they essentially didn't want anything to do with the job, I asked a few months ago . You do have to hook up abs ,DSC sensors, various engine sensors etc and the harness and sensors are significantly different on the Z4M than the E46 M3 according to them( many more sensors bc if the more advanced ECU) . So while the new AEM infinity is plug and play on an E46 M3 S54 , it is useless in a Z4 M S54 without a custom harness . The AEM infinity can run the radio , nav etc which I would still want but the harness doesn't match up . I'm sure there are people that can figure it out but I seriously doubt it would be quick and easy by their response .
George
Appreciate 0