ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Finally got a Z4M Coupe!

Hi everyone! After more than 6 months of searching to find the right one, I picked up my 2007 Z4M Coupe yesterday.

I had to travel 4 1/2 hours from Illinois to Kelly BMW in Columbus, OH where I worked with Chris Nutter. Overall an excellent experience and I highly recommend Chris and Kelly BMW. The car had 4300 miles on it when I picked it up and is CPO, but the unusual thing is that it did not sell new until March 2009 so it has new warranty to 2013 and CPO warranty to 2015! It is equipped with Premium Package, Madeira Walnut trim, Extended Leather, and heated seats. I did not want nav, so I was lucky to find this car.

As you can imagine I am very excited and quite pleased. I should have bought one of these new instead of the Porsche Cayman I bought instead. That wrong has been remedied!

Last edited by mhrir; 05-09-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Congrats and beautiful M!

Just curious, what didn't you like about your Cayman? That's the only car besides the Z4M Coupe I'd consider if I was looking for a car again.
      05-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Nice! Extended leather is why I often wish I'd ordered mine rather than just picked one out of inventory. The paint looks fantastic - they must have detailed it for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post

Just curious, what didn't you like about your Cayman? That's the only car besides the Z4M Coupe I'd consider if I was looking for a car again.
My question too. Every once in a while I think about the Cayman S and I've never heard of anyone who was happy to trade it for something else. Do tell.

Also, parts are covered in leather with the extended leather option? I don't think I've ever seen one in person and it's hard to tell with pictures.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Nice ride!
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
do you mind sharing how much you paid for yours? I just picked up a silver 07 about a month ago and was wondering if I got a good deal or not
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
My question too. Every once in a while I think about the Cayman S and I've never heard of anyone who was happy to trade it for something else. Do tell.
Just to clarify... I had a 2007 Cayman 2.7 with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and Sport Chrono. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Cayman. The PASM made the car compliant on the street and sure-footed on the track. My complaints are ones that I think many Cayman owners have talked about. Oil smoke and squishy brake pedal. I experienced both of these.

After several run sessions oil would collect in the oil vapor separator and then get fed into the engine causing clouds, I mean CLOUDS of smoke to pour out the exhaust. Afterward it would take up to a week to clear out. The fix (a GT3 vapor separator) was stupid expensive.

The other issue of the squishy brake pedal (I am not talking about fade or boiling the fluid) is also well known on all Caymans. This car was the first Porsche I have owned that felt like the pedal was on its way to the floor. Not cofidence inspiring on the street or the track. Two different dealers checked the brake system and both times I was told that this is how the brakes feel now. Porsche decided to make the brakes more like what average drivers are used to! Are you freakin' kidding me? Go buy a Buick if you think the brakes are too hard. Again the fix (GT3 brake booster and braided stainless lines) was expensive.

In my opinion Porsche has been putting less effort into making their cars track worthy ever since they introduced the 986/996 (not including the GT3). The engines are known for their lack of robustness. No limited slip option (until last year when their sales tanked). God knows what will happen now that VW owns Porsche. That is why I sold the Cayman and bought an M.

Last edited by mhrir; 05-09-2010 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Also, parts are covered in leather with the extended leather option? I don't think I've ever seen one in person and it's hard to tell with pictures.
I tried to take some pictures to show the extended leather. Basically the door cards, center console, and sunvisors. I thought I had read that the windshield surround was too, but maybe that is only in the roadster.

The leather is really nice and very soft. Maybe some M stiching would have been nice just to give it some pop. I would have bought the car anyway but a nice little bonus. I thought I read that there are less than 250 M Coupes/Roadsters with extended leather. Is that right?

Last edited by mhrir; 05-09-2010 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Congrats. I just picked up an '07 on Thursday. I've got to get some pics up soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Sweet car! I had seen that one around in the CPO search. Glad that someone finally picked it up!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Beautiful!
I am very jealous of your extended leather.

Thank you for your insight on the Cayman too.
      05-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Thumbs up

Sweet car. Welcome to the board. Pete F. sent me this link and I was surprised when it brought me here where I am all the time anyway. Hope you show him up on the track.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
... First thing you should do is swap out to aluminum or carbon leather trim.
Why does everyone hate on the wood trim? I love the wood trim in my car. In fact, I think aluminum looks cheap!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Why does everyone hate on the wood trim? I love the wood trim in my car. In fact, I think aluminum looks cheap!
lol... It's a love hate thing I guess.
If you love it, that's all that matters.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
tifosi360
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F31/ '14 Porsche Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
Just to clarify... I had a 2007 Cayman 2.7 with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and Sport Chrono. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Cayman. The PASM made the car compliant on the street and sure-footed on the track. My complaints are ones that I think many Cayman owners have talked about. Oil smoke and squishy brake pedal. I experienced both of these.

After several run sessions oil would collect in the oil vapor separator and then get fed into the engine causing clouds, I mean CLOUDS of smoke to pour out the exhaust. Afterward it would take up to a week to clear out. The fix (a GT3 vapor separator) was stupid expensive.

The other issue of the squishy brake pedal (I am not talking about fade or boiling the fluid) is also well known on all Caymans. This car was the first Porsche I have owned that felt like the pedal was on its way to the floor. Not cofidence inspiring on the street or the track. Two different dealers checked the brake system and both times I was told that this is how the brakes feel now. Porsche decided to make the brakes more like what average drivers are used to! Are you freakin' kidding me? Go buy a Buick if you think the brakes are too hard. Again the fix (GT3 brake booster and braided stainless lines) was expensive.

In my opinion Porsche has been putting less effort into making their cars track worthy ever since they introduced the 986/996 (not including the GT3). The engines are known for their lack of robustness. No limited slip option (until last year when their sales tanked). God knows what will happen now that VW owns Porsche. That is why I sold the Cayman and bought an M.
Funny, I got both a Cayman and Z4 M Coupe, and I have opposite feelings. Wait until you take the M on the track and see how upsetting is that BMW cannot provide proper brake set up. I would pay extra to have upgraded brakes with proper calipers, etc.

My Cayman has the rock hard brake feel and no fade ever. The M brakes are very digital, with absolutely no room for modulation. The throttle on the M is the same as the brakes, either on or off. I drive in Sport Mode all the time. I also rev-match and heel-and-toe about 99% while driving. I took the CDV out and it took me forever to get comfy with fancy foot work on the pedals.

Also, the new DFI and the 2.9 L Cayman engines are absolutely bullet proof as far as what I have read and seen. I think Porsche is not abandoning all the track dogs out there. Although, you are better off with aftermarket LSD for the Porsche's. They seem to wear out rather fast.

I think you probably got shafted with a buggy Cayman and with expected dealer incompetence in mending anything. I mean, my BMW dealer has overfilled my oil in the M 4 times, despite begging them to pay attention. Enough said on that.

I am actually frustrated with BMW that they abandoned the Z4 M coupe. With a couple years of tweaking, the M could have been more epic car than it is. I believe the character of the M comes from cutting some corners and lack of further development and finesse. Nonetheless, there are no other cars for me out there currently, either the M Coupe or the Cayman.

Ultimately, I compare both cars as the M being a crazy-ass supermodel that you are so attracted that you can hardly stand it. She drives you nuts, but you love it. The Cayman is the car you marry because it is does everything well without any drama. You just have to see what you like the best. I could not make the choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
Congrats. I just picked up an '07 on Thursday. I've got to get some pics up soon.
Congrats on bringing another M Coupe to Canada.
looking forward to the pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Having those issues stinks...however, if you think Porsche has started to put less effort into their cars being track worthy, what would you call M cars? Not track worthy at all? The new M cars are not only boring to drive, but also have nearly no effort put into them to be placed on a track, from the excessive weight to the attrocious brakes and lazy steering feel.
Porsche still makes throughout their lineup probably the most track worthy vehicles out there. The Cayman S (which I used to own) has been praised a couple years in a row as the best drivers car and the #1 or #2 handling car on the market. I have handed a lot of heavily modded M cars (mostly m3s) beatings on the track and twisty roads with a stock cayman S.
Congrats on the new car! First thing you should do is swap out to aluminum or carbon leather trim.
^good points.
I'm curious, what the reason was for the change from Cayman S to M Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Congrats on bringing another M Coupe to Canada.
looking forward to the pics.
Thanks. The pleasure is all mine.

Pics should be up this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi360 View Post
Wait until you take the M on the track and see how upsetting is that BMW cannot provide proper brake set up.
The brakes are fine on the track with better fluid, even better with upgraded pads. Plenty of 220km/h to 110km/h stops just below the ABS threshold, lap after lap with no fade. What brake fluid are you using in your Z4M on the track?

Quote:
The throttle on the M is the same as the brakes, either on or off. I drive in Sport Mode all the time.
There is your problem - the throttle is very linear when sport mode is off, very non-linear when it is on.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #20
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
I think what he meant more, was that the Cayman S sport mode is absolute perfection! It literally is EXACTLY as you would want it. You can tell the little fine details on the cayman S like that, like the impecable and razor sharp steering, the fact that it handles better, but at the same time rides more comfortable than the z4m. Like another person said, the cayman S is to the point where it is so good you cant fault it for anything. And the new gen has even improved upon what it a masterpiece of a car.
That's exactly what turned me towards the Z4MR vs the Boxster S. The Z4MR takes a lot more concentration and skill to drive well (always challenges me to improve my skills) and always has a hooligan edge to it that makes it so much fun. The Boxster S was somewhat clinical to me, too much finesse with less challenge than the Z4MR, too easy to drive well. It depends what you like.

The Z4MR demands respect when pushing it hard (as I found out when I was a little late braking and spun it at over 140km/h on the track last year). The way that it can be subtly adjusted into a corner with slight trail braking that then makes it absolutely neutral in handling, or the way that the ///M diff just grips and causes the back axle to squirm gently under your backside under hard acceleration, add to it's quirks and charm.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #21
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Funny, I got both a Cayman and Z4 M Coupe, and I have opposite feelings. Wait until you take the M on the track and see how upsetting is that BMW cannot provide proper brake set up. I would pay extra to have upgraded brakes with proper calipers, etc.

My Cayman has the rock hard brake feel and no fade ever. The M brakes are very digital, with absolutely no room for modulation. The throttle on the M is the same as the brakes, either on or off. I drive in Sport Mode all the time. I also rev-match and heel-and-toe about 99% while driving. I took the CDV out and it took me forever to get comfy with fancy foot work on the pedals.

Also, the new DFI and the 2.9 L Cayman engines are absolutely bullet proof as far as what I have read and seen. I think Porsche is not abandoning all the track dogs out there. Although, you are better off with aftermarket LSD for the Porsche's. They seem to wear out rather fast.

I think you probably got shafted with a buggy Cayman and with expected dealer incompetence in mending anything. I mean, my BMW dealer has overfilled my oil in the M 4 times, despite begging them to pay attention. Enough said on that.

I am actually frustrated with BMW that they abandoned the Z4 M coupe. With a couple years of tweaking, the M could have been more epic car than it is. I believe the character of the M comes from cutting some corners and lack of further development and finesse. Nonetheless, there are no other cars for me out there currently, either the M Coupe or the Cayman.

Ultimately, I compare both cars as the M being a crazy-ass supermodel that you are so attracted that you can hardly stand it. She drives you nuts, but you love it. The Cayman is the car you marry because it is does everything well without any drama. You just have to see what you like the best. I could not make the choice.
All I can say is that I was never as let down with a car on the track as I was with the Cayman. The brakes worked beautifully and had tons of stopping power, I am not knocking that. It was the inherent squish in the pedal that was the problem. I had a 986 before the Cayman and had perfect brake feel. The clouds of oil smoke with the Cayman was another bummer and a well documented problem. I know the issues I have mentioned are not unique to my Cayman. I have heard the '09+ Cayman/Boxster are better and hopefully the new engine will prove to be more robust.

I am not expecting the Z4M to be perfect, but if you look at the fundamentals I think it has more potential. #1: The S54, #2: Variable M differential lock, #3: I have the highest appreciation for Chris Bangle and his styling aesthetic (I think he is vastly underappreciated now and will be hailed for his vision in the future), #4: Did I mention the S54?

All I can say is I tried the Cayman, I tracked it, and it wasn't for me. So, I moved on. I figured the window is closing to still be able to find a really nice Z4M since they are so rare and I didn't want to end up wondering... What if?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
First thing you should do is swap out to aluminum or carbon leather trim.
If I ever sell you my car you can do just that.

Aluminum is my least favorite. The carbon leather is cool, but in a black interior there is way too much black. This was the first car I sat in with the wood and there is no way I would change it. It may not be for everyone and is probably not the most sporty look. I don't think pictures do the wood justice. It looks much better in person.
Appreciate 0