ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

As part of my performance modification overload this month, I purchased and installed an Eventuri carbon fiber intake system.

Initial Impressions:

- Impeccable quality and craftsmanship. You can really tell they put a lot of time and effort into crafting a beautiful and functional piece of equipment

- The carbon fiber is second to none; an incredibly impressive feat, considering the shape of the intake housing.

- The filter itself is a work of art, and is perfectly mated to the intake housing

- The extraneous pieces (MAF housing/silicone joint/air director) are all top notch, as well.

Installation:

- I'm not the biggest wrench-turner, by any means, but even I was able to successfully complete the installation of this system by myself in under an hour, even in the dimly-lit underground parking garage below my apartment building. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. The step-by step guide that Eventuri created is Z4M specific, and simple to understand.

- After the install and comparing the new intake to the stock box that I removed, it is easy to see why this intake would generate measurable performance gains over stock. The stock unit is bulky, oddly shaped, and requires the incoming air to change directions several times, whereas the Eventuri unit is designed to smooth out air flow.

Test Drive:

- I didn't really expect to notice much in the way of butt-dyno power improvement, and only expected minimal increase in sound quality from the intake, but I was definitely surprised the first time I mashed the loud-pedal after installing this intake.

- I can't tell if there is a peak power gain, but the throttle responsiveness is definitely improved, and there seemed to be an increase in low-end torque. It definitely pulled a little harder between 2000-5000 RPM.

- The sound... Seriously, the sound is just EPIC! When you put the engine under load anywhere upwards of 3K RPM, the eager, angry growl that this intake produces is just intoxicating. You don't even have to hit WOT for it to be noticeable. If you're rolling around in any gear at typical cruising RPM (for me, 2500-3000 RPM) and hit the gas just a bit, you're instantly rewarded with a deep, demonic grumbling growl; hold down the pedal long enough for it to advance further in RPMs and it just howls!

Overall:

- I couldn't be happier with my purchase. From the customer service at Evolve, incredibly quick shipping times, and the quality of the intake itself, I'm more than pleased. If you're considering getting an intake, and like me read review after review and listened to multiple sound clips/videos, trust me when I say this intake is top notch. And when you factor in the reasonable price point, I can't see why you would choose any other intake (unless you just have the cash to spend on a full CSL-style airbox, haha.)

Speaking of sound/video clips, here is a compilation video I made yesterday that shows what the intake sounds like under a variety of conditions (windows up/down, varying gears, full/partial pulls, plus a good number of heel/toe downshifts.)

Last edited by No_Dominion; 09-04-2015 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Thanks for the in-depth review and vid! Sounds great, actually sounds like my 5.4 litre Ford V8 ute, seriously deep! And you're running stock mufflers right? Wow.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 02:39 AM   #3
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs
Thanks for the in-depth review and vid! Sounds great, actually sounds like my 5.4 litre Ford V8 ute, seriously deep! And you're running stock mufflers right? Wow.
Yeah, stock exhaust (until my SGT Headers get installed next week.) Hell, I can't even hear my exhaust 90% of the time, but considering how amazing the engine and intake noises are, I'm fine with that, haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Welcome to the club. Now get some mufflers that are more free flow and you can REALLY feel and hear the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF
Welcome to the club. Now get some mufflers that are more free flow and you can REALLY feel and hear the difference.
One day... I'm looking at getting a set of Stromung cans down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
That's the setup I have and there was a noticeable difference in power (butt dyno) when I added the exhaust to the mix. Running stock mufflers there was a small flat area/drop off from 3-4k. With the stromungs that flat spot disappeared and everything increased.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF
Quote:
That's the setup I have and there was a noticeable difference in power (butt dyno) when I added the exhaust to the mix. Running stock mufflers there was a small flat area/drop off from 3-4k. With the stromungs that flat spot disappeared and everything increased.
Nice! And the Stromung cans seem to have a decent volume without being overbearingly loud. Not to mention the reasonable price point. I'll never be willing to part with more than 1K for mufflers, BMW Tax be damned, haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I am running headers, stromung and eventuri intake, you won't be able to hear the intake too much with that setup. I do feel like the intake mellowed out the exhaust a little bit, but in a good way. Feels like everything flows together better with it than it did without it. Either way the car sounds great with that setup
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko
I am running headers, stromung and eventuri intake, you won't be able to hear the intake too much with that setup. I do feel like the intake mellowed out the exhaust a little bit, but in a good way. Feels like everything flows together better with it than it did without it. Either way the car sounds great with that setup
Have any sound clips? I imagine the overall sound is rather unique and impressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Nice write up and thanks for the vid, sounds great!

As I'm watching, I'm recognizing the streets...I look, sure enough you're from Indy! 42nd and Emerson is home for me...
      09-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe
Nice write up and thanks for the vid, sounds great!

As I'm watching, I'm recognizing the streets...I look, sure enough you're from Indy! 42nd and Emerson is home for me...
Not too many of us Z4MC owners in Indy. Only one other, that I know of, and I've never seen it in person. A few M Roadsters, but they don't count. :

How long have you had your M?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Not too many of us Z4MC owners in Indy. Only one other, that I know of, and I've never seen it in person. A few M Roadsters, but they don't count. :

I've owned her since 2010, but she's never seen the mean streets of Indy. Was in Texas when I bought her and now we're in England.

You ever go to the Brickyard?
      09-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe
Quote:

I've owned her since 2010, but she's never seen the mean streets of Indy. Was in Texas when I bought her and now we're in England.

You ever go to the Brickyard?
Oh wow, did you get it shipped overseas with you? I'd be taking it straight to the 'ring, haha.

I've been at the brickyard a few times, but never as a spectator. I usually work off duty for the big events at IMS.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Thanks for the write up and feedback. Glad you are enjoying it. :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Is this the same intake you bought?
Eventuri VAI Carbon Fiber Intake Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #16
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Thanks for the write up and feedback. Glad you are enjoying it. :-)
Imran, you're very welcome. You guys at Evolve rock. I'm loving the tune, as well. As soon as I get my headers installed and give the ECU (and myself) time to adjust to the differences, I plan on doing a review of that, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune sama View Post
Is this the same intake you bought?
Eventuri VAI Carbon Fiber Intake Kit
Yes, that is the same kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

tell us a little more about the Tune you got? you kept your MAF right?

the car sounds great mate, nice product by Evolve