ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #45
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

biglet2002, I wish my fiancé were as cool as you! You and your husband have done something remarkeable and something most of us here wont be able to acomplish and that's to buy 2 BMWs outright with cash. So why incur a new large debt (carpayment)? Here are my recommendations:
  1. Get the Dinan performance parts (ram air intake, intake, throttle body, stage 3 software, and exhaust)
    or
  2. Sell your current 2.5i and upgrade to a 3.0si
    or
  3. Lastly, if the wallet permits and it doesn't cut into your retirement goals (trips, vacation, home remodel, etc..) then consider upgrading to the M.

Whatever you decide to do, disuss all the options with the hubby and come to a conclusion that satisfies both your needs. As much I love the Ms, I'm quite content with my moded 2.5i. Either way, welcome to the forum, good luck with your endeavor and keep us posted .

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #46
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i Sport sedan

upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterawa View Post
biglet2002, I wish my fiancé were as cool as you! You and your husband have done something remarkeable and something most of us here wont be able to acomplish and that's to buy 2 BMWs outright with cash. So why incur a new large debt (carpayment)? Here are my recommendations:
  1. Get the Dinan performance parts (ram air intake, intake, throttle body, stage 3 software, and exhaust)
    or
  2. Sell your current 2.5i and upgrade to a 3.0si
    or
  3. Lastly, if the wallet permits and it doesn't cut into your retirement goals (trips, vacation, home remodel, etc..) then consider upgrading to the M.

Whatever you decide to do, disuss all the options with the hubby and come to a conclusion that satisfies both your needs. As much I love the Ms, I'm quite content with my moded 2.5i. Either way, welcome to the forum, good luck with your endeavor and keep us posted .
Thank you! I'd like to PM you about your upgrades to your 2.5i, but can't seem to find the PM button....

Lisa
      03-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #47
MuddyWaters
Music is knowledge so buy more blues records.
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 & 2002 325xi

The lady is right

As a proud owner of a 2003 Z4 2.5 and a new member to this forum I must say that I'm in a similar situation. My wife and I are in our early 50s and have no debt other than a mortgage we try to pay down and no car payments. I can not justify going into debt for wheels either but if I did it would be for a Z4M. There is no other temptation as compelling but we've got to stay the course.

My dear hp friends, we previously owned a 1.9 Liter Z3 that was still a great, head turning, fun car but, of course nothing compared to Z4 2.5, I reckon the experience is similar with an M car. We sold the Z3 and moved up to the 4 to protect our investment. You can't beat enjoying a BMW for over two years for $1000 after sale. I would hope that we can do it again with the Z4. Maybe a M is in the future but house repairs and savings remain in the immediate future.

I can seriously relate to this thread and agree with most that it's probably not a good idea to spend several thousand chasing after a couple more hp. The 2.5 Z4 is a beauty and most people I know are as envious of it as I am over a Z4M but at my age being out of debt takes the drivers seat (for now).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #48
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
As a proud owner of a 2003 Z4 2.5 and a new member to this forum I must say that I'm in a similar situation. My wife and I are in our early 50s and have no debt other than a mortgage we try to pay down and no car payments. I can not justify going into debt for wheels either but if I did it would be for a Z4M. There is no other temptation as compelling but we've got to stay the course.

My dear hp friends, we previously owned a 1.9 Liter Z3 that was still a great, head turning, fun car but, of course nothing compared to Z4 2.5, I reckon the experience is similar with an M car. We sold the Z3 and moved up to the 4 to protect our investment. You can't beat enjoying a BMW for over two years for $1000 after sale. I would hope that we can do it again with the Z4. Maybe a M is in the future but house repairs and savings remain in the immediate future.

I can seriously relate to this thread and agree with most that it's probably not a good idea to spend several thousand chasing after a couple more hp. The 2.5 Z4 is a beauty and most people I know are as envious of it as I am over a Z4M but at my age being out of debt takes the drivers seat (for now).
You are a beautius maximus human bean!
      03-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #49
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
I say just get rid of the fanny pack / shoulder bag, love the z4 2.5, and forget about performance upgrades. (losing the bluetooth wouldn't hurt either...)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #50
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
That sounds nice, but seriously, can you honestly say you enjoyed your Z4 2.5i more than your M coupe? More power is almost always more fun. I have had a Miata, Boxster 2.7, S2K and now Z4MR. While all of them were fun, the power of the M makes the car even more so!
I sort of split the difference:

That's a Pontiac Solstice GXP, for those that don't know. Fun, nice looking, not as powerful as my M Coupe, but if I get the urge it's 2.0-liter direct injection turbo is easy to tune for bigger hp for a lot less than a BMW. Cheap and cheerful, but nowhere near as refined as a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #51
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

Went with the Dinan S package

Hi folks! Just an update.. hubby and I visited Richmond BMW Northside and ordered the Dinan S Package (the one that doesn't include the pricey suspension upgrades.) The install will happen at the end of the month! Can't wait!

Lisa
      04-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #52
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglet2002 View Post
Hi folks! Just an update.. hubby and I visited Richmond BMW Northside and ordered the Dinan S Package (the one that doesn't include the pricey suspension upgrades.) The install will happen at the end of the month! Can't wait!

Lisa
you will really enjoy the s package.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #53
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfast View Post
^enjoy your modified lawn mower

I own a 2.5i and instead of pursuing a pipe dream about it being any type of quick, Im selling the thing and jumping into an M5...I dont see how the car can be "zippy" especially when a Nissan Murano will eat it at a stoplight.
A Nissan Murano is a four wheel drive modern day station wagon. Heck, if you gave it to a factory in 1975 they would likely put wood panels on the side.

A Z4 is an awesome looking convertible sports car which has a cool factor a Morono could never have. The upgrade is for the driver to enjoy. I doubt these nice folks have the intent of using it intimidate folks at stop lights.

Huzz

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #54
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

sports car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
A Nissan Murano is a four wheel drive modern day station wagon. Heck, if you gave it to a factory in 1975 they would likely put wood panels on the side.

A Z4 is an awesome looking convertible sports car which has a cool factor a Morono could never have. The upgrade is for the driver to enjoy. I doubt these nice folks have the intent of using it intimidate folks at stop lights.

Huzz
Thank you Huzz! We need more positive reinforcers on this board like you!
      04-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #55
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
What part of what he said wasn't true? I thought this was about performance enhancements for the 2.5i, which almost everyone said was a lost cause (other than supercharging), yet you still decided to dump money into it because you didn't want to hear that it wasn't possible. I didn't read a single accurate post that said you're going to be able to significantly increase performance with anything other than a supercharger. What it came down to was an argument between you and your husband about whether or not more hp was practical and you didn't understand why anyone needed more than 184 hp in a 3000 lb car, so you gave up a few hundred or thousand dollars to try and shut him up instead of genuinely trying to improve the car. You'd made up your mind before you got on the forums that you didn't understand our obsession with power so therefore we're all idiots for wanting fast cars we can't wring out every day. For the price of the 2.5i + Dinan package you could have easily jumped into a 3.0i and added 40 hp instead of MAYBE 11 hp.

There are many people on here that are perfectly content with their 2.5i, and that's perfectly fine and we all welcome them here. But, your husband is not one of those satisfied people, and you would have been better off financially to sell it and upgrade instead of trying to turn it into something we all said it wasn't. Lots of experienced people took their time to respond and you ignored their advice, which is fine, but don't belittle them for wanting something different or attack them personally.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #56
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
What part of what he said wasn't true? I thought this was about performance enhancements for the 2.5i, which almost everyone said was a lost cause (other than supercharging), yet you still decided to dump money into it because you didn't want to hear that it wasn't possible. I didn't read a single accurate post that said you're going to be able to significantly increase performance with anything other than a supercharger. What it came down to was an argument between you and your husband about whether or not more hp was practical and you didn't understand why anyone needed more than 184 hp in a 3000 lb car, so you gave up a few hundred or thousand dollars to try and shut him up instead of genuinely trying to improve the car. You'd made up your mind before you got on the forums that you didn't understand our obsession with power so therefore we're all idiots for wanting fast cars we can't wring out every day. For the price of the 2.5i + Dinan package you could have easily jumped into a 3.0i and added 40 hp instead of MAYBE 11 hp.

There are many people on here that are perfectly content with their 2.5i, and that's perfectly fine and we all welcome them here. But, your husband is not one of those satisfied people, and you would have been better off financially to sell it and upgrade instead of trying to turn it into something we all said it wasn't. Lots of experienced people took their time to respond and you ignored their advice, which is fine, but don't belittle them for wanting something different or attack them personally.
Hi Pokeybritches!

Not discounting your technical comments, but where you say that the husband is not satisfied with the 2.5i, that may no longer be the case! I would expect that both the husband and the wife here have discussed and reviewed the fine advice here (including yours) and agree about what they have decided to do!

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #57
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Hi Pokeybritches!

Not discounting your technical comments, but where you say that the husband is not satisfied with the 2.5i, that may no longer be the case! I would expect that both the husband and the wife here have discussed and reviewed the fine advice here (including yours) and agree about what they have decided to do!

Cheers!
I hope you are right! The car will certainly be unique and sound better, and I hope that is enough of a compromise. Her decision to buy Dinan helps most on this forum because it keeps alive the very small aftermarket we have available for our cars. However, I do stand by all I said.

OT - Seeing your sig reminded me of a story that happened a couple months ago. I took a female car-enthusiast friend for a ride in my 3.0i and she fell in love with it. At the dealership there was a beautiful 3.0si like yours that I explained had a lighter engine with 30 more hp. She was sold... until she came across a "better deal" on a G37s. Sigh... now that the weather is nice the regret has started to set in. "Why did you let me do that??"
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #58
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I hope you are right! The car will certainly be unique and sound better, and I hope that is enough of a compromise. Her decision to buy Dinan helps most on this forum because it keeps alive the very small aftermarket we have available for our cars. However, I do stand by all I said.

OT - Seeing your sig reminded me of a story that happened a couple months ago. I took a female car-enthusiast friend for a ride in my 3.0i and she fell in love with it. At the dealership there was a beautiful 3.0si like yours that I explained had a lighter engine with 30 more hp. She was sold... until she came across a "better deal" on a G37s. Sigh... now that the weather is nice the regret has started to set in. "Why did you let me do that??"
Now that's too bad!!!

Y'know, living where I do on the east coast of Canada, even when the weather is nice in the best of our summer, its like a late spring day in the US. So, convertibles are rare, let alone Z4 roadsters. But despite that, when it is nice here - I am ready to go! There is simply nothing else like one of these cars!!!

Cheers!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #59
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

z4um

Quote:
Now that's too bad!!!

Y'know, living where I do on the east coast of Canada, even when the weather is nice in the best of our summer, its like a late spring day in the US. So, convertibles are rare, let alone Z4 roadsters. But despite that, when it is nice here - I am ready to go! There is simply nothing else like one of these cars!!!

Cheers!!!

Thanks Huzz! You are one of the few posters on this thread worth listening to. This board needs more encouraging and positive people like you.

The rest of you obviously have nothing better to do than denigrate and criticize me and others who don't have the top of the line versions of this fine vehicle. I posted this thread asking for advice and got some fine information from some of the people here. I was under the mistaken understanding that this forum was created so that all owners of this car in all its guises from 4 cyl on up to the M version can share and enjoy camraderie.. I didn't realize it was meant for those who can afford to buy and maintain the top of the line cars to put down and humiliate those of us who either choose not to buy Ms or simply cannot afford to purchase and maintain them. Hmmm How interesting. At this point, I'll consider this thread closed...

Lisa
      04-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #60
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

denigration

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfast View Post
Yeah you caught me, you figured out the entirety of my life ambitions summed up in a post about my getting a new car.... All while asserting knowledge (which you apparently dont have) on my traffic situation and state of bumper protection. I didnt try to tell you when theres gridlock on the Powhite Parkway. Unlike you I wont make any assumptions besides whats been stated and known and thats this..

Your husband drove the M. He wanted one.
Then a decision (despite all advice here) was made to get the Dinan package.
A Z4 2.5i + Dinan will not equal an M. It wont even be close.
200≠330 PLUS multitudes of other improvements.
I cant wait for the day I see a 2.5i with Dinan parts on sale in Midlothian, VA...
This is the point I make regarding denigration.. You are not offering advice, sir, insult is more like it. Enough said.
      04-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #61
Gremlin500
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i SMG

Never enough???

Not enough power? Too boring? Completely ignore all the above advice save loads of money, and try this 2.5 conversion available in the U.K.:

http://www.agdesktop.com/wallpapers%...201024x768.jpg

Or perhaps be content you have a very capable, reliable, and sexy sports car with more than adequate performance, & go get your thrills in the bedroom instead!

BTW, I have owned 3 TVR's all with more than 300bhp/tonne, and now have a Z4 2.5i, -performance isn't everything, most drivers don't even get close to the limits of the car (on a twisting back road) before "bottling out" IRMC.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #62
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin500 View Post
Not enough power? Too boring? Completely ignore all the above advice save loads of money, and try this 2.5 conversion available in the U.K.:

http://www.agdesktop.com/wallpapers%...201024x768.jpg

Or perhaps be content you have a very capable, reliable, and sexy sports car with more than adequate performance, & go get your thrills in the bedroom instead!

BTW, I have owned 3 TVR's all with more than 300bhp/tonne, and now have a Z4 2.5i, -performance isn't everything, most drivers don't even get close to the limits of the car (on a twisting back road) before "bottling out" IRMC.
Yes!
      05-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #63
stellaz4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0 convertible

ROADSter or racecar

Like any other man, I love to go fast and be on the edge. But we purposefully bought our 2007 3.0i to enjoy the roadster experience. Fun drives over Bear Mountain or cruising up to the Connecticut coast. While you can puff out any car, I have to say that the fun we have with 215 hp with a little easier tires (that is still a Mazda and occasional Porche b demolisher - depending on the driver) is exhilarating. And for me it is my daily driver unless the snow if just too much.

Enjoy the car. If you want to race, go with the m. But if you want to smile for a long time without the regular services of chiropractor - roll on with your true roadster.
Attached Images

Last edited by stellaz4; 05-09-2010 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: post a pic
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #64
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaz4 View Post
Enjoy the car. If you want to race, go with the m. But if you want to smile for a long time without the regular services of chiropractor - roll on with your true roadster.
Not sure about this with the RFT's on non M "sport" versions. From what I recall, the M rides smoother even with its stiffer suspension due to the standard tires. Agreed on the car though, any version, from the 2.5 up to the M are going to be a lot of fun. My comments were more directed towards trying to improve performance on a 2.5 vs getting a newer version with a bigger motor. I still believe they will be sorry they didn't just upgrade to an 06 3.0i or si instead of sinking money into a Dinan kit which will only modestly improve the output of the 2.5. Even the 3.0i of the same vintage as their car would be so much stronger than the Dinan enhanced 2.5.
Appreciate 0