ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Oil catch can. Not just for race cars

Firstly do your research before attempting any serious modifications. This mod worked very well for me.
Check this link for the DIY
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=601440

If any of you M54 non M guys have excessive oil consumption or oil loss due to the poorly designed CCV that resides under the intake manifold then the fillowing may be something you would like to look into.
The stock CCV is a PITA to get at and is notorious for turning brittle, cracking and leaking.
I went ahead and removed my stock CCV and installed a catch can.
Simple installation involving running a hose from the intake manifold to the inlet of the catch can and a hose from the distribution pipe on the intake manifold to the outlet of the catch can.
A PCV valve is spliced in the line to the IM to regulate vacuum.
All the details are in the link above.
The most expensive part for me was the catch can itself as I wanted threaded fittings as opposed to the push on and clamp style.
The routing of the hoses and the catch can is personal preference as is the type of connections at the IM and VC and the hose used. i do recommend a robust hose as the vacuum you will pull with this system is amazing and will collapse a weak hose such as a heater hose.
Removing the oil filler cap after the car has ran for 10 minutes is a struggle due to the vacuum within the motor.
Be warned all gaskets need to be up to par or you will be replacing them.
Case in point I had to cinch down my VC bolts to stop a leak that I was unaware of before doing this mod.The VC gasket was replaced 2 years ago.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 04-17-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0