ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Front Sway Bar Recommendations?

I'm looking at options for a better front sway bar on my '06 3.0si with M-Sport suspension. Wondering what anyone else is running and if anyone has installed the M sway bar on a non-M? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I remember reading the m bar installed some where. There are 3 different manufacturers that i know.

-h&r And ecs, fine with limited adjustment, reasonably priced
-ground control, best with a lot of sizes, very light, infinite adjustment, little noisy by design and expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

H&R here with adjustable Hotchkis links. Good quality stuff.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
H&R here with adjustable Hotchkis links. Good quality stuff.
Can someone explain to me what aspect of the end link is adjustable on an "adjustable end link". An to what end are we adjusting, what does the adjustment accomplish?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Wondering what anyone else is running and if anyone has installed the M sway bar on a non-M? Thanks in advance!
I'm running an E46 M3 swaybar in the front (26mm) and a H&R swaybar (21mm) in the rear.
An e4t M3 or Z4m rear swaybar won't fit a regular z4 due to the different diff&subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post
Can someone explain to me what aspect of the end link is adjustable on an "adjustable end link". An to what end are we adjusting, what does the adjustment accomplish?
Adjusting end links (end links adjustable in lenght) is sometimes necessary to prevent the swaybar hitting the control arms. Especially with coilovers or with a swaybar that has multiple mounting holes to regulate stiffness.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Other more knowledgable please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding of the adjustable end links is because a sway bar should be set so that the connecting arms are horizontal(level) with the road ie no preload.
Adjustable end links allows you to preload the arms so that the sway bar will react sooner when the chassis begins to roll(pitch to one side) under cornering.

http://www.esetuning.com/hotchkis-ad...e46-25826.html
http://www.tdotperformance.ca/hotchk...-link-kit.html
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 08-22-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

What do you mean preload?

The swaybar is a loosely pivoting bar suspended in rubber.
There shouldn't be any preload possible.

If you put tension on it by making one end link longer than the other you get different cornering tension left&right.

The swaybar should be 'about' level when the car stands on it's wheels, but it is much more important that the swaybar ends can't touch the control arms in extended suspension movements (mostly in full droop)
The slight correction you'd (maybe) have to make to prevent the swaybar making contact, so that a swaybar might not be sitting level (but under a small angle) is negleable in the anti roll force.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

If you put tension on it by making one end link longer than the other you get different cornering tension left&right.

The swaybar should be 'about' level when the car stands on it's wheels, but it is much more important that the swaybar ends can't touch the control arms in extended suspension movements (mostly in full droop)
The slight correction you'd (maybe) have to make to prevent the swaybar making contact, so that a swaybar might not be sitting level (but under a small angle) is negleable in the anti roll force.
Like I said correct me if I am wrong
Of course the preload as I called it would be equal on both sides in my mind
I will need to dig up my copy of Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams and refamiliarize myself with his teachings.

Last edited by Steeler; 08-22-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post

Thanks
Thanks for asking. I always wondered the same thing.
I've heard talk about preloading, but couldn't figure out how you preload something that freely rotates.
Now I know - you don't.
      08-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Thanks for asking. I always wondered the same thing.
I've heard talk about preloading, but couldn't figure out how you preload something that freely rotates.
Now I know - you don't.
Yep......I was corrected.

Actually I did read some racers use preload in their sway bars to correct corner balancing
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Maybe their car wasn't level. Too many hamburgers

Probably on a oval track other desired suspension setups apply (don't know, not too many ovals here in europe )
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

When you are corner balanced, right an left are not at the same height.
This results in preload on the bar without adjustable end links.

When corner balancing the first thing you do is disconnect the sway bars.
After corner balancing you connect one side of the bar adjusting for the right angle of bar.
Then you connect the other side adjusting the link so that the stud slides in with easy (no pressure up or down)
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Yes you can prevent preload if your car doesn't sit level (or when the arb or suspension isn't completely straight).
Appreciate 0