ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #1
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Stunt Driving- Ontario law revision!

Idiot politicians here have now decreed that 120 kph in a 80kph zone is racing or stunt driving! This was previously set at 50kph over the limit. My country road 3rd gear pulls on 80km/h empty roads are to be done in fear now as consequences involve vehicle confiscation, $5000 fine and licence suspension! Murderers are treated far better! Please comment...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Fellow Torontonian here. Our lawmakers are never short of misguided and poorly prioritized objectives. Our premier's main focus was blue license plates and "buck-a-beer" policies. Here he is during one of the greatest challenges of our time. Our prime minister was a school teacher before running the country.

These are our top leaders. It's almost funny if we didn't live here. Our speed limits haven't changed since before ABS was invented, drinking and driving was barely "frowned upon" and when wearing a seat belt wasn't even a law. Now most people on the road drive cars designed for the autobahn and here we are putting people in jail for a momentary heavy foot. If you ask me they just need money and are afraid to tax. Look at all the automated speed traps and red light cameras. They just want your cash but are afraid to ask you so they just take it. Phew, rant over. Thanks, I needed that!
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      07-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Thanks for the much needed support!. Im livid over this nonsense!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

120km in a 80 km zone is 40km over the posted speed limit…. and as much as I like to pull through the gears there is no reason to do that unless it's deliberate…. BC driver here
inTgr8r2431.50
SD ///M42992.00
      07-06-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
Fellow Torontonian here. Our lawmakers are never short of misguided and poorly prioritized objectives. Our premier's main focus was blue license plates and "buck-a-beer" policies. Here he is during one of the greatest challenges of our time. Our prime minister was a school teacher before running the country.

These are our top leaders. It's almost funny if we didn't live here. Our speed limits haven't changed since before ABS was invented, drinking and driving was barely "frowned upon" and when wearing a seat belt wasn't even a law. Now most people on the road drive cars designed for the autobahn and here we are putting people in jail for a momentary heavy foot. If you ask me they just need money and are afraid to tax. Look at all the automated speed traps and red light cameras. They just want your cash but are afraid to ask you so they just take it. Phew, rant over. Thanks, I needed that!
Just for the record, the "stunt driving" law was put into place by Dalton McGuinty. Ford has just tweaked it. And also FTR, the speed limits are stupid, for example, the 401 had a speed limit of and was designed for 70 MPH in the 1960's when cars had drum brakes, bias ply tires and zero safety equipment. Now we have all of the tech and advancement of 60 years and the speed limit is dropped to 62 MPH. It's just the nanny state.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Don't like limits on the roads? Go to the track maybe?
Too far? Too costly? Well then stop complaining when there are solutions there, if you just choose not to do so then I cannot help you.

1) 40 over on a 80 is 120, that's not slow on a 2 lane rural road, you maybe a good driver, but johnny-on-the-phone-instagramming-his-new-330i-to-his-20-followers is not likely to be, coming towards you doing 120 like you. 40 over on a 40 is 80, you are welcome to end up on the news running over 2 kids fixing their bike on their neighbour's driveway if you happen to lose control, oh wait, it did happen on a vehicle that 'is designed on the autobahn' Again, I reiterate, you maybe a good driver, but majority of idiots on Ontario roads, are defenitely not.

2)car safety has improved tenfold, but the amount of distractions, fancy gadgetry from 20 screens on the dash, and vehicle speed, all of which has also increased tenfold. Let's not forget the squishy organic being behind the wheel either. Driver training is a complete joke in Ontario, anyone who can write their name on a piece of paper can have one. I feel unsafe already as is driving in Ontario.

3) Besides driver training, the amount of poorly maintained cars on the road is just increasing. People drive on belts, brake on backing plates, with unflushed brake fluid that will boil before you even look at the brakes, alignment so out they are lucky to be driving straight. All that tech is completely pointless if the organic being behind the wheel isn't active to make sure it is properly maintained. I am sure we all know plenty of car owners who has no idea brakes have to be changed, or they need an alignment after a year or two, or even brakes need to be flushed

We on the forum maintain our cars, we obviously care about driving, many of us participate in drivers training and many race their cars. But that's NOT the majority of people. Sorry, while I agree this much that this is nothing more than a cash grab and our government aren't really addressing the real issues (annual/biannual inspection, re-testing drivers, etc.). Not being able to do pulls on a rural road because you are now only able to do 120 on a 80 instead of 130, then take it somewhere you can.

And I may finally add, even if the government puts in place an annual/biannual car inspection requirement, we all have to retake a drivers license refresher, everyone will still complain that it wastes their time, and waste their money to renew their license.

I will return to the track, one day.

Last edited by kyriian; 07-06-2021 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 5
inTgr8r2431.50
SD ///M42992.00
Nate4641150.50
HBC123.50
      07-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Some perspective - equivalent speeds in mph would be doing 75 mph in a 50 mph zone.

If we're talking built-up urban areas in the GTA, then I agree that doing 75 mph (or 120 kph) is somewhat excessive. But I just did a google street view of some rural 2-lane highways in Ontario and I found several deep RURAL areas with nothing around marked at 80 kph (50 mph). Is 80 kph the standard speed limit for rural 2-lanes in Ontario?

Most similarly deep rural 2-lanes here in Tx would be marked as 65 or even 70 mph (with 90% of the drivers clicking along at around 75 mph). And we aren't "racing" or "stunt-driving". Just trying to get from "A" to "B".
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      07-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
Some perspective - equivalent speeds in mph would be doing 75 mph in a 50 mph zone.

If we're talking built-up urban areas in the GTA, then I agree that doing 75 mph (or 120 kph) is somewhat excessive. But I just did a google street view of some rural 2-lane highways in Ontario and I found several deep RURAL areas with nothing around marked at 80 kph (50 mph). Is 80 kph the standard speed limit for rural 2-lanes in Ontario?

Most similarly deep rural 2-lanes here in Tx would be marked as 65 or even 70 mph (with 90% of the drivers clicking along at around 75 mph). And we aren't "racing" or "stunt-driving". Just trying to get from "A" to "B".
Most non 400 series highways posted limit is 80 in Ontario. That's the standard.
Honestly, the chance of running into an overzealous cop in the middle of rural country in Ontario is very slim, you'd likely run into a Moose or deer first.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Most non 400 series highways posted limit is 80 in Ontario. That's the standard.
Not sure what a non 400 series highway is.....but if you mean rural 2-lane, 80 kph (50 mph) seems freaking damn slow for this Texas boy. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Honestly, the chance of running into an overzealous cop in the middle of rural country in Ontario is very slim, you'd likely run into a Moose or deer first.
That may be true - doesn't make the thought of possible vehicle confiscation for 25 mph over on a rural 2-lane any more reasonable.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Sorry, should have been clearer
400 series here is your interstates, and those are the ones with speed limits of 100-110, where most do 120-140

Smaller routes are standard at 80 outside of the big cities, in the further reaches of rural Ontario it is still 80.
Again, I'm not discounting the fact the government is just putting a bandaid on a very complicated issue. Truth of the matter is still the same, if you want to go fast, take it somewhere safe to do so. Our driving standards is way too low, and our car owners way too cheap.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      07-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #11
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

To be clear about my earlier post. I'm not saying I think anyone has the right to do excessive speeds for the fun of it. But these laws are not about safety first, they are about control and cash flow. It will be at the discretion of the officer if you should make a momentary mistake. That could be the difference between having a license and not. Maybe he doesn't like your face or car and you can't drive to work. I am the last person you will find trying to top a car out. I have ZERO speeding tickets because I don't believe in the risk to others. No one else signed up for your reckless driving. But leash tightening doesn't stop and it won't. If red light accidents were such a concern we would have more round abouts like the UK but those don't generate revenue. You just need a bad guy to push a political agenda. And thanks to idiots setting the streets on fire for Instagram Street races. They found one.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      07-18-2021, 05:28 AM   #12
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post

Almost hit both animals and ran into a cop on a random rural road in the past year. In 20 years never had that experience. Now I'm afraid to believe they're rarer than the local wildlife. My car insurance is already too high; don't need to risk getting first ever demerit points. Insurance company will take the opportunity to fleece you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

TO has a thriving underground street racing scene when I lived there many years ago. I remembered watching a documentary about these groups congregating on Hwy 7 at some crazy hours and race away. DVP and Gardiner were quite popular too at night.

I can see why OPP is so much more vigilant than other police force regarding this issue.
Appreciate 0