ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Andyh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M black saphire / imola

Z4M- inspection I question

I need to get this service done this summer.
Currently sitting at 33K with zero issues.

Aside from the glorified inspection, and valve adjustment; should I look at getting a Vanos repair kit at this low miles?

Thanks -
AC
      06-18-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

No, get ISTA+ and run the test sequence. If all values are ok, leave it alone (VANOS)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
No, get ISTA+ and run the test sequence. If all values are ok, leave it alone (VANOS)
What values are these? I thought there were VANOS bolts coming loose issues; do the tests identify this as a problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
The VANOS will start rattling before you need to address it. It usually starts between 2-3k rpm and gets worse from there. Given the low mileage, you probably don't need to worry for a while. You could consider the VANOS a "while you're in there" job when doing a valve adjustment, but the labor and parts costs for VANOS are considerably higher than taking the valve cover off.
      06-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
What values are these? I thought there were VANOS bolts coming loose issues; do the tests identify this as a problem?
I don't think you can run any tests that will show that you have loose or sheared bolts or even one broken tab. You can hear major rattles when your bolts are about to let go, but that is assuming you catch it in time and not all the bolts had snapped. Everyone will have their own opinions on this "preventative" repair, so do what you think that will make you sleep comfortably at night. One thing though - replace the upper chain guide for sure if you have more than 50k miles. Mine was on the cusp of breaking when I replaced it at 46k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
The VANOS will start rattling before you need to address it. It usually starts between 2-3k rpm and gets worse from there. Given the low mileage, you probably don't need to worry for a while. You could consider the VANOS a "while you're in there" job when doing a valve adjustment, but the labor and parts costs for VANOS are considerably higher than taking the valve cover off.
That 2-3k RPM "marble-in-a-can" rattling is on all S54 cars regardless of mileage. I had noticed it since the day I picked up my car with 7800 miles. I don't know what exactly that fixed it (or the cause of the problem), but it's totally gone now after I did all the Beisan stuffs (redrilled hub, all seals, rattle kit with S62 Vanos Hub Diaphragm Springs, upper chain guides, etc). My car already got the updated bolts from the factory and all were intact, but I had decided to replace it anyway since I already bought new bolts. No more S54 rattles for me now - it's purring like a sewing machine at all RPMs.

Last edited by XMetal; 06-20-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3853.50
      06-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
Andyh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
I don't think you can run any tests that will show that you have loose or sheared bolts or even one broken tab. You can hear major rattles when your bolts are about to let go, but that is assuming you catch it in time and not all the bolts had snapped. Everyone will have their own opinions on this "preventative" repair, so do what you think that will make you sleep comfortably at night. One thing though - replace the upper chain guide for sure if you have more than 50k miles. Mine was on the cusp of breaking when I replaced it at 46k miles.

That 2-3k RPM "marble-in-a-can" rattling is on all S54 cars regardless of mileage. I had noticed it since the day I picked up my car with 7800 miles. I don't know what exactly that fixed it (or the cause of the problem), but it's totally gone now after I did all the Beisan stuffs (redrilled hub, all seals, rattle kit with S62 Vanos Hub Diaphragm Springs, upper chain guides, etc). My car already got the updated bolts from the factory and all were intact, but I had decided to replace it anyway since I already bought new bolts. No more S54 rattles for me now - it's purring like a sewing machine at all RPMs.
You said your car already came with the upgraded bolts?
Can you expand in this...what YM , etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyh1 View Post
You said your car already came with the upgraded bolts?
Can you expand in this...what YM , etc...
Some times during the 2007 built cycle, BMW was aware of the VANOS cam sprockets bolts shearing off and replaced it with supposedly an "updated" version that comes with locktight on the thread. If your bolts have a hex head, it's the older version and that was the version that was prone to shearing off. The newer updated version have a torx head.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3853.50
      06-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #8
Andyh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Some times during the 2007 built cycle, BMW was aware of the VANOS cam sprockets bolts shearing off and replaced it with supposedly an "updated" version that comes with locktight on the thread. If your bolts have a hex head, it's the older version and that was the version that was prone to shearing off. The newer updated version have a torx head.
Good stuff... Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Unless you here rattle noises inside the VANOS, i would not open just for that.
Appreciate 0