ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Recommended clutch replacement for high power

Can anyone recommend a clutch upgrade (pressure plate and disk) to be mounted on an aluminum flywheel? Looking for an upgrade, but something that can hold at least 500-600 ft.lb torque. This will be used on a modified N52B30 3.0 and 6-speed Manual S6-37 Trans.

I see quite a few out there, but looking for folks who've had some experience to back up their recommendation. Thanks!
      07-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Can anyone recommend a clutch upgrade (pressure plate and disk) to be mounted on an aluminum flywheel? Looking for an upgrade, but something that can hold at least 500-600 ft.lb torque. This will be used on a modified N52B30 3.0 and 6-speed Manual S6-37 Trans.

I see quite a few out there, but looking for folks who've had some experience to back up their recommendation. Thanks!
I have zero input on the clutch upgrade other than check Pokeybritches posts on his clutch upgrade.

I wanna know more about the 500-600 torques from an N52
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Will divulge the secret details soon

I've found SPEC SB663H 2+ with 545 ft.lbs. May jump on that one unless anyone has a negative comment.
      07-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

For what it's worth the UUC upgrade I did was extremely fun and precise. I really enjoyed the feel, for the 15 miles the motor lasted.
      07-06-2016, 01:15 AM   #5
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

The stock clutch will hold 600NM+ (don't know what that is in ft.lb) with a Sachs 765 pressure plate, if you wanna keep the stock clutch feel. Otherwise I would go with a sinter clutch and a Sachs 618 or a 765 pressure plate if you want more margin for slippage.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
The stock clutch will hold 600NM+ (don't know what that is in ft.lb) with a Sachs 765 pressure plate,
tbh I really doubt that.
I say this because you're probably unaware that the z4 has a smaller clutch than an e46 330i or e92 330i with the same m54/n52 engine/gearbox.
The z4 has a 228mm clutch plate which has a considerable smaller friction area than the usual 240mm.
This is the difference in width of the friction area:

quite the difference. (the bigger one is an SRE clutch)
So first things is to ditch the 228mm clutch and get a 240mm.
I dont know if those 618/765 are still sold.
they now have new sets (also complete sets, with 22 spline plates). I think the previous plates were all 9 spline which obviously wont fit.

The stock setup will hold 465Nm (as I found out, TS2+), but when driving spiritly and applying throttle a bit fast after the shift there is obviously more chance that you will apply too much power and the clutch wont have the strenght to clamp on (thus it keeps spinning and you burn it if you're not quick enough, a CDV at this torque level on stock clutch is definately not wise). At 600-800Nm it obvously will fail
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-06-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
tbh I really doubt that.
I say this because you're probably unaware that the z4 has a smaller clutch than an e46 330i or e92 330i with the same m54/n52 engine/gearbox.
The z4 has a 228mm clutch plate which has a considerable smaller friction area than the usual 240mm.

quite the difference. (the bigger one is an SRE clutch)
So first things is to ditch the 228mm clutch and get a 240mm.
I dont know if those 618/765 are still sold.
they now have new sets (also complete sets, with 22 spline plates). I think the previous plates were all 9 spline which obviously wont fit.

The stock setup will hold 465Nm (as I found out, TS2+), but when driving spiritly and applying throttle a bit fast after the shift there is obviously more chance that you will apply too much power and the clutch wont have the strenght to clamp on (thus it keeps spinning and you burn it if you're not quick enough, a CDV at this torque level on stock clutch is definately not wise). At 600-800Nm it obvously will fail
You're right, I didn't think about the size difference. I assumed it was 240 mm. The 618's/765's are still being sold in Sweden (PPF) and they are a very popular choice among the boosted BMW crowd.

If the stock clutch and pressure plate will hold 465 Nm I think it's reasonable that the stock clutch will hold at least 500 Nm with a stronger pressure plate.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Yes but sachs now has a new line of clutches. I think they used the 618/765 in the past with a stock pressure plate because sachs didnt make fitting performance clutch plates for those pressure plates (maybe different splined centers). I also wonder if 618 and 765 were originally designed for bmw.
Now they have fitting kits (seperate clutch and pressureplate is also available) in organic and sintered with 22 spline (so for 6 speed boxes) especially for bmw. So with the right thickness and right pin setting.
The organic kit goes to 540+Nm (that is what I use) and the sintered kit goes to 780+Nm which is enough for most applications.
But I think the bigger problem here is that the TS may need a sprung clutch, so both stock and SRE clutches are not suitable.
UUC twin disk is interesting, but he already seems to have an aluminium flywheel?!? Self made?
Way too little info to give good advice on something as complicated as a performance clutch.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. It will be an off the shelf aluminum flywheel supplied by Collins, thus the clutch itself will be very basic sprung disk and pressure plate. I'm eyeing the SPEC Stage 2+ as it is fairly inexpensive all things considered, and they claim good torque. Sachs would be a good candidate as well.

This will be on a 3.0si 6 speed (GS6-37BZ trans, not the 420G).
      07-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

SPEC Stage 2+ is sprung and is rated at 545.
Wether thats lbs-ft or Nm they dont say....I dont know what to make of a manufacturer that doesnt give that info.

My guess is that its lbs-ft as it's an us brand and I can only imagine a US manufacturer be that unaware that there are more than 1 measuring unit and thus not saying what.
I cant imagine a german manufacturer (like sachs) to be that sloppy and unprecise in the engineering department.
You go to jail for that in Germany

But it's worth checking with the manufacturer what the actual spec is (not with some webshop, they dont know shit and just assume everything).
It's very affordable for a sprung aftermarket performance kit and they have a huge range (so even if it's Nm you can get a stronger one, they have so many)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Sound advice, I will confirm before purchasing. Thanks.