ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Well, after taking my car to the track for a weekend full of spirited driving earlier this month, I figured I might as well post a review regarding my experience with the Cool Carbon S/T pads. Bedding was completed well in advance of the event, as per the Cool Carbon bedding instructions.

Warm-Up

The pads performed decently during the warmup lap. I'm guessing the street side of the pad would indicate lower temps being necessary for ideal performance compared to dedicated track pads. By the end of the warmup lap they seemed to be right where they needed to temperature wise.

Initial Bite

The pads offered a good, but not overly aggressive initial bite. This was beneficial during the two harder braking areas, but a stronger initial bite would have been appreciated during the braking areas that require less duration.

Hard Braking

This is one area where I felt less than pleased with the pads. They never really felt like I could stop as quickly as I would have liked during very hard braking, which led to me braking earlier in the higher speed straights and thus losing some time. They did a good job slowing the vehicle from around 80-85, but higher than that and I found myself wishing I had a more aggressive pad.

Brake Modulation

This is one area that I felt the pads excelled at. The smooth release allowed me to confidently modulate braking in the two decreasing radius turn sections. The pads felt very smooth upon bite and release.

Brake Fade

I rarely noticed any significant fade with these pads, but I believe that was mostly due to my sensing their limitations and working to stay within them. When I would brake further into the zone and more aggressively, I did encounter slight fade a few times, which caused me to be more cautious. This generally happened in the section of the track where I would reduce my speed from 90 down to 45 in a verrrrry short distance followed by another 90-45 immediately after.

Pad Wear

The pads themselves were virtually brand new when I arrived to the event. After 2 days and 6 total sessions (approximately 2 Hours 40 Minutes over 80 miles) the pads started to show some disturbing signs of deterioration and crumbling at the edges. I've attached a couple of photos to illustrate. I believe the pads ended up heating beyond their specified operating temp range, so I don't fault them for that.

Overall Impressions

In retrospect, I'd have to say that these are some excellent pads for everyday street use, but can only recommend them for mild track use. Anyone on a track that is brake heavy or more aggressive than the average novice will likely find these pads lacking in the long run. If I didn't track my car, I'd almost certainly use them as my pad of choice due to their performance characteristics and affordability.

I realize this review was long, but trying to decide which pads to go with is a difficult process, so I figure an in depth review would hopefully help some others down the road that are considering these pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are the pics. Wouldn't let me attach them to the original post for some reason.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Nice review!

I demo tested these a few years ago for Stoptech applications.
I found similar results.

I would add that I had a significant issue with uneven pad deposits that would form once heated up, then by the end of session they were scrubbed off again.
I also had excessive groaning type noise under hard braking.

That was 3 years ago, so they may have changed since then, IDK.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Nice review!

I demo tested these a few years ago for Stoptech applications.
I found similar results.

I would add that I had a significant issue with uneven pad deposits that would form once heated up, then by the end of session they were scrubbed off again.
I also had excessive groaning type noise under hard braking.

That was 3 years ago, so they may have changed since then, IDK.
Thanks, much appreciated. Hopefully it will save some others the headache of trying out pads without really knowing what they're getting in to.

I doubt the compound has changed that much, but you never know.

It's a shame that these pads weren't just a tad more track focused. I'm sure the the price point likely dictated the level of performance that they could achieve. And I'm willing to bet that unless some miracle compound is formulated, it seems there will always be a distinct line between pads that make sense for the street and those more capable of track use. Street pads will always need to be effective at lower operating temps, which limits their high temp capability. I don't think I exceeded the max operating temp limit by a huge amount, but it was high enough and often enough that I know I need more.

For anyone that doesn't track their car, I'd definitely recommend these pads.

And the calipers were a nice silver color prior to the track weekend, as well. G2 ceramic caliper paint held up great over the past 4 years, but just couldn't cope with the higher temps. Looks like I'll have to go for some powder coating next time I'm in the mood.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had the exact experience at my heavy brake required track. These are good street pads as far as I can tell but probably no better then OEM.

For the track I switched to PFC-08 pads and it was a huge improvement. Their not cheap pads but considering the wear was negligible after a track day they should prove comparable expense wise to replacing a lesser performing pad. I got one day out of my cool carbon pads with the same performance you noted.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longress
I had the exact experience at my heavy brake required track. These are good street pads as far as I can tell but probably no better then OEM.

For the track I switched to PFC-08 pads and it was a huge improvement. Their not cheap pads but considering the wear was negligible after a track day they should prove comparable expense wise to replacing a lesser performing pad. I got one day out of my cool carbon pads with the same performance you noted.
Makes sense that my pads held up a little longer, given that Putnam Park isn't quite as brake heavy as some others, then.

Sucks there isn't a true middle ground for pads, but it's better to have too much pad than not enough. I'm willing to bet that I shave a few seconds off my lap times next go around just from being able to brake later before turn-in.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a set of CarboTech pads and try them out before this year is out.
Appreciate 0