ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Just wanted to let folks know that the VAC Motorsports E36/46 under-seat fire extinguisher mount works on either the driver or passenger side in a Z4.

Name:  2012-03-25_12-47-06_749.jpg
Views: 6971
Size:  120.7 KB

The mount is fixed in position (it doesn't move with the seat) and so with the extinguisher installed you do lose a small amount of forward seat travel, at least with sport seats. I'm 5'11" but have short legs and sit pretty far forward compared to most; I still have two-three inches of forward travel, so shouldn't be a problem for many. Also, not compatible with the first aid box.

Install is easy--remove the nuts holding the seat tracks to the floor in front, loosen the rears, lift the front of the seat and slip the mount over the studs between the carpet and the tracks, and tighten everything up.

I have a 2.5 lb Halotron extinguisher with metal valve and hardware in mine. Warning--it can be hard to find these extinguishers. I tried numerous sources, and all were chronically out of stock. Finally lucked out after a couple months and caught CDOC with one in stock.

I don't really anticipate using the extinguisher during an on-track incident. Rather, it's comforting to have one readily at hand in the paddock or on the street.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...e46-p2023.aspx

http://store.cdoc.com/h3r25lbpremium...inguisher.aspx

Last edited by MFGJR; 09-08-2012 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: fixed link
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Nice setup!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
bump... can anyone school me on the different type of extinguishers? thinking of running with pca's advance group soon but some of the chapters require fire extinguishers and the oem kit is not compatible. they suggest a 2.5lb halon or something "similar"... not sure what constitutes as similar. what should i be looking for when choosing one for DE purposes?

this one is $50
http://www.ogracing.com/sodium-dry-p...guisher-2-5-lb

and this one is $120
http://www.ogracing.com/halotron-fir...guisher-2-5-lb
      08-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Halon has been banned since 1994 and Halotron is the approved, non-ozone-depleting, non-human-toxicity replacement (Wikipedia, bold and italics mine):
Clean agents and carbon dioxide
The agent displaces oxygen (CO2 or inert gases), removes heat from the combustion zone (Halotron, FE-36) or inhibits chemical chain reaction (Halons). They are labelled clean agents because they do not leave any residue after discharge which is ideal for sensitive electronics and documents.

Halon (including Halon 1211 and Halon 1301), a gaseous agent that inhibits the chemical reaction of the fire. Classes B:C for lower weight fire extinguishers (2.3 kg; under 9 lbs) and A:B:C for heavier weights (4.1–7.7 kg; 9–17 lbs). Banned from new production, except for military use, as of January 1, 1994 as its properties contribute to ozone depletion and long atmospheric lifetime, usually 400 years. Halon was completely banned in Europe resulting in stockpiles being sent to the United States for reuse. Although production has been banned, the reuse is still permitted. Halon 1301 and 1211 are being replaced with new halocarbon agents which have no ozone depletion properties and low atmospheric lifetimes, but are less effective.

Halocarbon replacements, HCFC Blend B (Halotron I, American Pacific Corporation), HFC-227ea (FM-200, Great Lakes Chemicals Corporation), and HFC-236fa (FE-36, DuPont), have been approved by the FAA for use in aircraft cabins in 2010.[13] Considerations for halon replacement include human toxicity when used in confined spaces, ozone depleting potential, and greenhouse warming potential. The three recommended agents meet minimum performance standards, but uptake has been slow because of disadvantages. Specifically, they require two to three times the concentration to extinguish a fire compared with Halon 1211.[14] They are heavier than halon, require a larger bottle because they are less effective, and have greenhouse gas potential.[15] Research continues to find better alternatives.
The extinguisher in your second link is the Halotron variety and will be much less messy and more suitable for an engine/cabin fire than the dry powder sodium bicarbonate extinguisher in your first link.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
After a couple of years with this mount, how do you like it?
      12-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
After a couple of years with this mount, how do you like it?
Well, sold the car over a year ago... so, rarely on this board anymore. Extinguisher was a little bit in the way getting in and out of the car, but just a very minor annoyance. Mount held the extinguisher very securely, so no problems there.