ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Any Good Warranties Out There for a Z4M Roadster?

Anyone know of any good warranty companies for a Z4 M Roadster? I'd prefer some real life experience with some companies. I've been ripped off before, so I really don't trust these companies much.

"But your booklet you provided me says gaskets are covered".
"Yes sir, but not the gasket you need".
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

My suggestion? Take the money you plan to spend on a warranty and stick it in a savings account only to be used for car servicing/issues. This is the only way you can be sure to get what you pay for. You may get "lucky" and have something break which is more than what you paid, but these companies wouldn't be in business very long if they made a habit of paying out more than people paid for the warranties...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Agree with self-insuring. I've been driving my 2007 as a daily driver for five years. Regular fluid replacement and tightening a few bolts is all I've had to do so far. That and new tires. An extended warranty would have been wasted... but like you I considered it for a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Good advice, guys. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Toyota Care Systems? I gotta double check the name. Awesome company, get their Platinun. Covers up to 5yr/60k. Basically everything oem warranty covers, electrical, trand, modules, wirings, etc.

I payed 4.2k ish, getting a brand new trans, o2's, idlers and tensioners, mount bolt tsb, etc. About 12k worth of work, no problems covering it all.

Ext warranty companies are worth it, if you buy a legit company/contract. The problem is most people eother cheap out to not pay as much and do NOT read the fine print or don't do enough research, and don't realize they were sold a shpddy warranty contract from a shoddy company.
also note: regardless of how great of an extended warraty you buy, or company you choose. Approval odds fall HUGELY on you shop, and their service advisors ability to properly diagnose, display and justify to the adjuster and ext warranty company to need for the repair, and to read between the lines of your contract.

I.e. my ext comp attempted to deny my trans claim. As much as it covers.. it did not specifically state syncros, though my 2nd, 3rd amd 4th gears had shown wear. My contract states trans case, gears, transfer cases, differetntials and all internal lubricated parts. When they tried to decline it (which granted, z4m trans cost more than my warranty @ 4.9k) my advisor explained to them, it may not say syncros specifically, but they are a lubricated moving part. Boom they covered it. I even opted to chance them a used unit as long as they warrantied it, they found one with twice the mileage, but declined to use it because of double my mileage. So, i have a brand new one coming from germany.

Story us there to ecplain my reason, and an example. Granted it does NOT alwayd work this way, but company, contract, research AND your shop all count in how an ext warranty handles your claim.

Note: if theres bad grammar, i just typed all of this on my phone, haha.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I got a warranty (somewhat) when I bought my 06 Z4M this summer with 55k miles on the clock. The company is Route 66 and if you run a search for them in regards to BMWs, they are very highly rated and I've seen nothing but good things about them.

However, the best they would offer me for the car was 3 years and 36k miles over the main stuff of the car (engine, drivetrain, etc.). As well, they would only cover up to $3k in repair expenses max. This policy cost me $1100. So in other words, I'm gambling with $1100 to win an extra $1900. Considering anything that breaks on this car will be well into that territory, I took the gamble. Whether or not it's up to you, you have to decide.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-los View Post
Toyota Care Systems? I gotta double check the name. Awesome company, get their Platinun. Covers up to 5yr/60k. Basically everything oem warranty covers, electrical, trand, modules, wirings, etc.

I payed 4.2k ish, getting a brand new trans, o2's, idlers and tensioners, mount bolt tsb, etc. About 12k worth of work, no problems covering it all.

Ext warranty companies are worth it, if you buy a legit company/contract. The problem is most people eother cheap out to not pay as much and do NOT read the fine print or don't do enough research, and don't realize they were sold a shpddy warranty contract from a shoddy company.
also note: regardless of how great of an extended warraty you buy, or company you choose. Approval odds fall HUGELY on you shop, and their service advisors ability to properly diagnose, display and justify to the adjuster and ext warranty company to need for the repair, and to read between the lines of your contract.

I.e. my ext comp attempted to deny my trans claim. As much as it covers.. it did not specifically state syncros, though my 2nd, 3rd amd 4th gears had shown wear. My contract states trans case, gears, transfer cases, differetntials and all internal lubricated parts. When they tried to decline it (which granted, z4m trans cost more than my warranty @ 4.9k) my advisor explained to them, it may not say syncros specifically, but they are a lubricated moving part. Boom they covered it. I even opted to chance them a used unit as long as they warrantied it, they found one with twice the mileage, but declined to use it because of double my mileage. So, i have a brand new one coming from germany.

Story us there to ecplain my reason, and an example. Granted it does NOT alwayd work this way, but company, contract, research AND your shop all count in how an ext warranty handles your claim.

Note: if theres bad grammar, i just typed all of this on my phone, haha.

Good Luck!
This is such a rare case for a Z4M. That is one of two transmission replacements I have ever heard of. I wonder what the odds of a transmission failure are on a Z4?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Honestly, i think it was abuse from the previous owner, or lack of proper shifting by the previous owner. Ever since i bought the car, i always felt a stiff notchy-ness in second and fourth. Was difficult to engange into those gears at low speed and low rpms, adn would easily grind if i did smooth slow shift when riding through the rpms' pask 5k, (i.e. on-ramp speed up to merge onto freeway.) Second was worse than 4th, but they both progressively became worse no matter what i did. When they tore the trans apart, 2-4 we're scuffed and lightly damaged, syncros' we're mediocre, but mainly the inner cone brakes were excessively worn, But, they only list unit replacements, hence the brand new complete unit. Thinking of requesting for the old trans back to find somewhere to send it off to attempt to repair and/or upgrade it for kicks. We'll see how that goes.

Note: Sorry to thread jack.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Don't plan on modding anything at all if you do. I had warranty claims denied for a CPV leak and seat belt tensioner on my prior M3 E46 due to having coil over suspension which had nothing to do with the issues at hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't take me personal as this is not meant to be taken that way... but your shop failed to get that covered. For them to deny your claim, they would have to prove your suspension is the cause of the failure. So apparently they didn't try very hard.
I have rear mufflers dkf section akongst things under the car, they have pictures, still no problems.
that was an excuse they pulled for them not to cover it, and the advisor did not fight it. 90% of adjusters are retired technicians/mechanics, they aren't as dumb as most think.

But, i keep veering off topic, i apologise.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I got a warranty (somewhat) when I bought my 06 Z4M this summer with 55k miles on the clock. The company is Route 66 and if you run a search for them in regards to BMWs, they are very highly rated and I've seen nothing but good things about them.

However, the best they would offer me for the car was 3 years and 36k miles over the main stuff of the car (engine, drivetrain, etc.). As well, they would only cover up to $3k in repair expenses max. This policy cost me $1100. So in other words, I'm gambling with $1100 to win an extra $1900. Considering anything that breaks on this car will be well into that territory, I took the gamble. Whether or not it's up to you, you have to decide.

Hope that helps.
Why would you gamble $1100 would a potential upside of only ~160%, and over such a short time? Those are terrible odds.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Just so I could assure myself it was the right decision, I checked into extended warranties when I bought my Z4 earlier this year. None of the companies I checked out would cover the most likely failure on a roadster, the hydraulic pump motor for the top, so given that it came down to the certainty of paying $4K for an extended warranty vs. the possibility that I might have to pay equal or more sometime in the future. Easy decision.
The $4K is in the bank and I'll take my chances.
One thing to note when you're looking at the majority of the independent companies that offer the warranties. Virtually all of them state they have the right to have the repairs done at their designated repair facility. Most of them have a national contract with AAMCO and that's who may be working on your Z4......
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
Why would you gamble $1100 would a potential upside of only ~160%, and over such a short time? Those are terrible odds.
Eh, if I was good at math I wouldn't exactly be driving an eight year old car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Just so I could assure myself it was the right decision, I checked into extended warranties when I bought my Z4 earlier this year. None of the companies I checked out would cover the most likely failure on a roadster, the hydraulic pump motor for the top, so given that it came down to the certainty of paying $4K for an extended warranty vs. the possibility that I might have to pay equal or more sometime in the future. Easy decision.
The $4K is in the bank and I'll take my chances.
One thing to note when you're looking at the majority of the independent companies that offer the warranties. Virtually all of them state they have the right to have the repairs done at their designated repair facility. Most of them have a national contract with AAMCO and that's who may be working on your Z4......
Well, that rule can be exempt depending on the state you live in, (U.S. that is.)
For example in Texas, you have the roght to take ypu vehocle to ANY repair of your choice. They, the extended warranty company nor insurance company cannot force you to take it to a specific shop. They Can however heavily suggest you take it to a place though. I.e. your car is going to total, but if you take it to 'X' shop that we have special programs woth, they cut us (the insurance ) spscial deals, and we won't total your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #15
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just some info I thought I would pass on. I inquired about the cost of the warranty offered by CarMax on one of their cars, an '06 Z4MR w/ 52k priced at $24,599, and received the following information:

They're all for 60 months. For the 100,000 odometer option with a $50 ded it's $2,949, for $100 it's $2,799, for $200 it's $2,399 and $300 it's $2,099. For the 125,000 odometer option with a $50 ded it's $4,649, for $100 it's $4,379, for $200 it's $3,649 and for $300 it's $3,099.

Honestly, this seems like a pretty good deal. I value the peace of mind that about $2,400 would give me. If I were to purchase that particular car, I'd have a comprehensive warranty for 48,000 miles and/or 60 months. The warranty covers all items except typical wear and tear stuff. I have no intention of doing any mods whatsoever, so that won't be an issue.

I don't know how much the price changes per individual car. That's what I'm finding out now.

But then on the flip side, CarMax overprices their cars, so that would go back to the self insuring. Pay less for a similar car, and put the money I would have spent at CarMax + the warranty in a designated account.

Last edited by HEY32G; 11-26-2014 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
phickson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si

We bought a 2008 Z4si with 37 K miles 4 months ago from a non-BMW dealer. First BMW (absolutely love this car) so we were pretty nervous about potential breakdowns.

The dealer sold us the Custom Edge warranty issued by Warrantech Automotive, Inc., Bedford, TX. It was $2,500.00 with a $250 per incident deductible, for 60 months or 40 K miles.

We went back and forth with the dealer before deciding to buy the extended warranty. They claimed they have never sold a car (they only sell used BMW, Audi and Mercedes) where the customer didn't purchase the extended warranty. They talked about the $5,000 convertible top motor, etc, as examples of why we should purchase the warranty.

We are the third owners of the car - the dealer claimed the car's second owner was a woman who worked for them, who was expecting a child and needed a bigger car.

Funny thing is after we bought the car I was looking at the warranty and it said it can be transferred over to a new owner. I called the Warranty Company and they looked up the car and said there was still 2 1/2 years left on that warranty, but I would have to find and then get the previous owner to transfer it over to us.

We didn't - but what I guess gets me is the dealer 'should' have told us the car had some time left on the warranty - so makes me think it's a big rip-off for sure.

But I can sleep at night knowing if my top motor goes out or the tranny dies - it's covered.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phickson View Post
We bought a 2008 Z4si with 37 K miles 4 months ago from a non-BMW dealer. First BMW (absolutely love this car) so we were pretty nervous about potential breakdowns.

The dealer sold us the Custom Edge warranty issued by Warrantech Automotive, Inc., Bedford, TX. It was $2,500.00 with a $250 per incident deductible, for 60 months or 40 K miles.

We went back and forth with the dealer before deciding to buy the extended warranty. They claimed they have never sold a car (they only sell used BMW, Audi and Mercedes) where the customer didn't purchase the extended warranty. They talked about the $5,000 convertible top motor, etc, as examples of why we should purchase the warranty.

We are the third owners of the car - the dealer claimed the car's second owner was a woman who worked for them, who was expecting a child and needed a bigger car.

Funny thing is after we bought the car I was looking at the warranty and it said it can be transferred over to a new owner. I called the Warranty Company and they looked up the car and said there was still 2 1/2 years left on that warranty, but I would have to find and then get the previous owner to transfer it over to us.

We didn't - but what I guess gets me is the dealer 'should' have told us the car had some time left on the warranty - so makes me think it's a big rip-off for sure.

But I can sleep at night knowing if my top motor goes out or the tranny dies - it's covered.
So you paid for a new warranty when you could have had 2.5yrs of the old one transferred? Why wouldn't you have done that instead? Seems like you could have done that then bought a new one later if desired and it would have given you longer coverage for a similar cost(unless they have a crazy "transfer fee")...

I agree they seem like a big scam to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

In case it hasn't been said before, welcome to the board! My 3.0si was my first BMW as well and I still absolutely love the thing 5 years later.

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #19
phickson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
So you paid for a new warranty when you could have had 2.5yrs of the old one transferred? Why wouldn't you have done that instead? Seems like you could have done that then bought a new one later if desired and it would have given you longer coverage for a similar cost(unless they have a crazy "transfer fee")...

I agree they seem like a big scam to me.
The dealer 'failed' to tell us the car was still under warranty with the previous owner...it was a couple of months later before I had the epiphany about the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
phickson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
In case it hasn't been said before, welcome to the board! My 3.0si was my first BMW as well and I still absolutely love the thing 5 years later.

Cheers!
Thanks Huz-Z - we get comments all the time when we're out in the car. It's my wife's car really and it gives her great joy and freedom in her life.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The dealer 'failed' to tell us the car was still under warranty with the previous owner...it was a couple of months later before I had the epiphany about the whole thing.
That stinks. Nice dealer...
Appreciate 0