ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Z4Mster
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

BMW assist slot?

Has anyone ever converted the little slot that the BMW assist buttons come in, to the oddments tray? I have no use for the two buttons that come under the ugly clear plastic cover. I would like to remove those two buttons and put a little coin tray in there and then put a black cover over it that does not have the lip on it like with the clear cover. I am always hitting my elbow on that clear lip, and I could use the extra coin slot.

Last edited by Z4Mster; 05-12-2010 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
lo-tek
I'm a PC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Mster View Post
Has anyone ever converted the little slot that the BMW assist buttons come in, to the oddments tray? I have no use for the two buttons that come under the ugly clear plastic cover. I would like to remove those two buttons and put a little coin tray in there and then put a black cover over it that does not have the lip on it like with the clear cover. I am always hitting my elbox on that clear lip, and I could use the extra coin slot.
FWIW my 2003 Z4 came with a little box there rather than BMW Assist stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
That's actually a damn good idea. Especially considering our car really has nowhere for change. If you put it in the ashtray it can get jammed below the power outlet, so you're left with it rattling around the door pocket.

EDIT:
Found it on realoem.com. Part 17, it's the "oddments tray". Part # 51467073533, and has a price of $17. I just wonder if it'd fit in the existing cutout, or if you'd have to replace that entire column.
Attached Images

Last edited by nmulax; 05-07-2010 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Z4Mster
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Good find....I'm not sure how to figure out what exactly to order and if the current console will work without cutting or anything major. Honestly I just hate the way that clear cover looks....If they made a console matching cover that didn't have the lip on it that sticks up....I would be happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Mster View Post
I am always hitting my elbox on that clear lip, and I could use the extra coin slot.
Great idea! I am always hitting my elbow on there too!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Bump from the grave, anyone ever swap out their SOS panel for the oddments tray?

I'll be giving this one a shot soon. After seeing this in another Z4, the little tray would be much more useful than the James Bond-esque protected assist buttons.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Let us know how it goes. I have one of the Leather Z armrest/storage compartments and the assist cover won't close with the armrest there. I don't even know if the assist buttons work or are active. I'd imagine the buttons can come out as a solid unit and disconnect from a simple harness, then just pop in the replacement oddments tray.
      01-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
mtnbkr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 IB Z4MC

I thought about replacing the SOS buttons with the tray too but I read somewhere that disconnecting the buttons would throw a code. If only I can remember where I read it...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
Let us know how it goes. I have one of the Leather Z armrest/storage compartments and the assist cover won't close with the armrest there. I don't even know if the assist buttons work or are active. I'd imagine the buttons can come out as a solid unit and disconnect from a simple harness, then just pop in the replacement oddments tray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
I thought about replacing the SOS buttons with the tray too but I read somewhere that disconnecting the buttons would throw a code. If only I can remember where I read it...
Well, I think when you retrofit the factory alarm kit it has you remove the assist tray and replace it with the oddments tray (all the threads I could find regarding the oddments tray online involved alarm retrofit). So my thinking is there has got to be a way - if it requires coding that would be fine. Depending how the unit comes apart I'm considering just tucking the buttons underneath the oddments tray, though that's not the most elegant approach to a solution.

If all goes well I'll post up a DIY for the retrofit as I don't think we're the only ones who would prefer the storage space over the antiquated assist buttons.

Last edited by tiltmode43; 01-07-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Well, I think when you retrofit the factory alarm kit it has you remove the assist tray and replace it with the oddments tray (all the threads I could find regarding the oddments tray online involved alarm retrofit). So my thinking is there has got to be a way - if it requires coding that would be fine. Depending how the unit comes apart I'm considering just tucking the buttons underneath the oddments tray, though that's not the most elegant approach to a solution.

If all goes well I'll post up a DIY for the retrofit as I don't think we're the only ones who would prefer the storage space over the antiquated assist buttons.
I retrofitted the alarm and did not have to do anything to the SOS buttons.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post
Same here
      01-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ View Post
Same here
Oh, I don't question that. Looks like quite a few report the tray being a part of the retrofit 'kit' at least. As you guys mentioned, doesn't seem to actually be required though

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-oddments-tray

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #13
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Oh, I don't question that. Looks like quite a few report the tray being a part of the retrofit 'kit' at least. As you guys mentioned, doesn't seem to actually be required though

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-oddments-tray
I believe this is if you use the 'tilt sensor' for the interior when doing the alarm upgrade. I did not use this one mine either.

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0