ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e for effort View Post
Jewelers epoxy would work great on either plastic or metal! By the way, I still have a set of RPi skid plates waiting for you. :P
You do?!?!! You know, I think Finnegan *did* tell me about those and I got really excited! Do you have his # to text him? Wait. I have an idea (it happens). I'll send you our contact info in a PM.

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #24
claritycheck
Rolling Republic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Yeah I told him this about a month ago, but I haven't gone to ES the past couple times. Too out of the way for me hah!
      07-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Old thread, but nevertheless an AWESOME one! I recently "lost" one of my roundels and so I'm taking this opportunity to create a custom one. I've laid out the design and looking forward to building it. THANK YOU for posting this. BTW, how did the center caps come out? Also, did you change the emblem on the steering wheel? If so, how?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Gas Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

I want a star wars roundel, this may be the route I have to take, I contacted rvinyl for the easy option but they said they don't have proprietary rights to sell the stuff boooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Monkey View Post
I want a star wars roundel, this may be the route I have to take, I contacted rvinyl for the easy option but they said they don't have proprietary rights to sell the stuff boooooooooo
I'm having the same problem too. I was trying to find someone to print on vinyl but, because I am using just an outline of the BMW logo, they won't do it. I've attempted to create the roundels myself (see my avatar), but I'm having problems w/water seeping in the crease and causing water stains on the decal - and that's AFTER having sprayed a few layers of clear coat over the original sheet then a few more layers once I put the roundel back together. I'm hoping the OP still checks this thread and can give some suggestions......HELP!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
cvannurden
BMW Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 328xi

Custom Roundels

This is super interesting! I am curious, though - How does the print hold up to direct sunlight over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRLPWR View Post
I'm having the same problem too. I was trying to find someone to print on vinyl but, because I am using just an outline of the BMW logo, they won't do it. I've attempted to create the roundels myself (see my avatar), but I'm having problems w/water seeping in the crease and causing water stains on the decal - and that's AFTER having sprayed a few layers of clear coat over the original sheet then a few more layers once I put the roundel back together. I'm hoping the OP still checks this thread and can give some suggestions......HELP!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #29
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Your best bet if you want the OP to add to this would be to send a PM. They haven't post in this thread for quite awhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #30
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannurden View Post
This is super interesting! I am curious, though - How does the print hold up to direct sunlight over time?
Although not in direct sunlight, the center caps I created have held up pretty well (since the beginning of August). They're just now showing signs of water stains. I've bought some clear vinyl that I'm going to attempt to use over the custom roundel - hopefully that will fix my problem w/o being too bulky once I put them back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan
Your best bet if you want the OP to add to this would be to send a PM. They haven't post in this thread for quite awhile.
I've tried that (I think, been a while now). I'll try it again. Wasn't sure if he was even up here anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #31
deemijanee
Rep
Drives: 545i Bmw SMG

I tried this and ended up slicing my finger HAHA I just wanna pay you to do this for me
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #32
collinc14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
DIY Roundel Guide
April, 2009
by Nadaclue a.k.a. Chad

Part 1

Being a person who doesn't like to leave well enough alone, I feel that it's the small details in a car that make it special or unique. One day while sitting in my garage I decided that while the BMW roundel is nice and the BMW name carries some respect with it, that I wanted something different.

Internet searches brought up mainly carbon fiber or *gasp* jewel encrusted roundels. There were also for companies such as ACS, Dinan and other tuners but without the tuner parts I don't feel the car should have tuner badges.

So after a couple days of playing around with some spare roundels (82 mm to be exact) that I bought from ebay, I came up with the following:

This DIY guide is an attempt to help others who may want to do the same.

Step 1: Source your roundels

Depending on how confident you are, you can use the roundels that are currently on your car. This DIY is somewhat destructive, but no "donor" parts are needed. I bought mine off of ebay, or any used roundels will work as long as they aren't dented or deeply scratched. Here is the roundel I started with:

Just a typical 2 pin 82mm roundel that can be used on the trunk or side markers of an E85.

Step 2: Remove the clear coat (or sticker as it is)

So I didn't want to just put some cheesy vinyl sticker over my roundel, which meant I had to find out if I could strip this roundel down to a bare surface for some sort of painting or decal transfer. After a little investigation with an x-acto knife, I learned that the factory roundels are not clear coated with a paint, but rather have a clear sticker over top of them.

With a little persistance and use of the x-acto knife and scraping with the finernail I was able to fully remove the clear sticker.

Now we are left with an unprotected, albeit sticky, BMW roundel. Next we have,

Step 3: Remove the clear sticker residue and factory BMW coloring

Now you'll notice that your roundel is all tacky, this is the residue left over from the clear sticker. Nothing a little solvent won't fix. I have access to an unlimited solvent selection, but I tried to stick with the basics so no one should have trouble. The best off the shelf solution I found was acetone. You can get it at most paint/hardware stores or you can use fingernail polish remover. Here I've begun the wiping down using acetone:

After about 5 more minutes of wiping I'm left with:

That's when it got interesting. I learned three valuable facts; number one is that the roundel is actually 2 pieces, number two was that the inner roundel piece is aluminum, and number 3 is that the BMW logo is stamped into the aluminum disc. Being two pieces with the inner piece being metal made life easier in the long run. The fact that the logo is stamped proved to increase the complexity of the DIY roundel a little bit.

Step 4: Sanding the roundel to remove the stamped logo

In order to proceed the way I had originally planned, I needed to remove the raised portion of the factory roundel or else I'd end up with a ghost image coming through my new roundel. I began this little endeavor at work, and only had 400 grit sandpaper to work with but it ended up working OK, just more time and elbow grease than I thought. When I do this again, I plan to start with 220 grit and then finish it with the 400 grit. The goal here is to remove as much of the raised section as possible. After the first 30 seconds you can see the areas that will be problematic:

After about 25 more minutes of wet sanding, I ended up with this. While you can still see a slight ghost image, the fact that I will be painting the roundel helps here. I will use a sanding primer to build it up slight and then smooth everything out with sandpaper.

Step 5: Separating the two parts of the roundel

In order to be successful, I now needed to separate the aluminum disc from the plastic housing. I put the sanded roundel into a 230F industrial oven (do not use your home oven, the adhesive they used smells noxious and will potentially introduce chemicals into your oven) for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes I used a very flat object, in my case a chemical weighing spatula, to pry the two parts away from each other. I put the flat end at the very edge of the aluminum disc and carefully pried up. Be careful at this point, as the aluminum disc is very thin and easy to distort. Make sure the roundel does not cool before you try to pull it apart, you will bend and distort the disc.

Next I simply had to clean up the adhesive. Again, acetone works fairly well but it is harder to remove than the paint was. Be gentle but persistant and you will get all the residue off.

The next section of this DIY guide will show you how to paint your roundel a base color and then transfer your desired image to the roundel using inkjet water transfer paper. Hopefully I will be able to finish/update this by 4/13.
Sorry to bring up an ancient thread but I just had a quick question, did you use own roundels because I bought some eBay roundels and when I tried to cut the clear film off with an xacto knife I found the clear film to be like half a cm thick and brittle like dry sap, if I just pour acetone on it will it eat through the clear film? because if so I'll just do that
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #33
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Sorry to bring this ancient thread back up but did the OP ever find a source for the blank roundels? Would love to make some with my family crest.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #34
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

I would think most low to mid price inkjet printers, which use dye based inks, will not be light tolerant beyond just a couple of years at the most, especially any colored areas.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #35
Johnny Sea Ranger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1996 z3

Perfect, except no pix

Hi,I can't get the pictures, but what you did is exactly what I want todo.Z3 has 4 body roundels and 4 wheel emblems. A bit of overkill.

Any idea how I get the pix? or will you email me sunninglizard@hotmail.com

thanks

Johnny
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #36
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Sea Ranger View Post
Hi,I can't get the pictures
If you use Chrome there is a 'Photobucket embed fix' extension you can add that will restore most broken pics in older forum threads.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #37
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenme1 View Post
If you use Chrome there is a 'Photobucket embed fix' extension you can add that will restore most broken pics in older forum threads.

Good luck!
This is great news! Thanks so much for letting us know. I can't believe how much harm photosharing services have caused over the years. So much knowledge has been lost in forums.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #38
Johnny Sea Ranger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1996 z3

diy roundels

Hi, I can't get the pictures to load. can you email them to me?
Appreciate 0