ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Stromung and x pipe?

Searched but couldn't find anyone who has both. Anyone out there with a stromung and rogue or SS x pipe? I am wondering how much it will change the sound.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

if you can wait for the results someone today had euro headers, an RE X pipe and Stromung mufflers
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
X-pipe adds about 5% to sound. Not much at all
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Yep. What he said ^
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

Excellent, thanks. Also read that there is a loss of low end torque. I understand how this may be possible by creating a less restrictive system with higher horsepower numbers, but did anyone feel a substantial difference?
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Excellent, thanks. Also read that there is a loss of low end torque. I understand how this may be possible by creating a less restrictive system with higher horsepower numbers, but did anyone feel a substantial difference?
No. Added the X-Pipe to the Eisenmann Sport. No difference. Dyno might show one, but I sure can't feel it. Skelekitty says her "butt-dyno" gives it 5 HP. It does give the Eisenmann a bit more pop and burble, a bit more bass, and a bit more bark.

Do you have the Stromung now? If so, what do you want to add to the sound? Today's 'Fest had a Stromung and RE X-Pipe, but also Euro Headers and Euro Cats. Data should be available tomorrow, if not sooner (just need to double check with folks before posting).

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-21-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

I have a stromung now, and want to add some sound. But don't want it to get raspy or "tinny". Ultimately looking for a louder deep tone
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
I have a stromung now, and want to add some sound. But don't want it to get raspy or "tinny". Ultimately looking for a louder deep tone
Then an x-pipe will help. It's a bit louder (bit being the key word) and tone is deeper. Not raspy or "tinny". At least not with the Supersprint or RE.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

Alright, thanks. If I decide to get one, which would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I have RE installed. The bend on the right was a bit early toward the front of car. You need to play with it to clear the heat shield. Other than that, it is more bang for the buck. You don't have to wait like SS.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
I have RE installed. The bend on the right was a bit early toward the front of car. You need to play with it to clear the heat shield. Other than that, it is more bang for the buck. You don't have to wait like SS.
I bent the plate slightly with a press and had to shim one of the sheet metal screws to keep it from hitting pipe. Needs to be redesigned IMHO. Kinda pissed me off to be honest. Piss poor R&R from Rogue. But really that's your only choice unless you have SS cans with an adapter. If you dont have the adapters you would have to hard weld in the SS x-pipe I believe.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
I bent the plate slightly with a press and had to shim one of the sheet metal screws to keep it from hitting pipe. Needs to be redesigned IMHO. Kinda pissed me off to be honest. Piss poor R&R from Rogue. But really that's your only choice unless you have SS cans with an adapter. If you dont have the adapters you would have to hard weld in the SS x-pipe I believe.
Weird. The one I installed on Krissi's car fit without issue. Maybe a quality control issue? IDK?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Weird. The one I installed on Krissi's car fit without issue. Maybe a quality control issue? IDK?
I did get one of the very first ones they got in(was on the first waiting list with inTgr8r). It took some work to keep it from vibrating off the chassis. Let me tell ya. Good to see they have got it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
No. Added the X-Pipe to the Eisenmann Sport. No difference. Dyno might show one, but I sure can't feel it. Skelekitty says her "butt-dyno" gives it 5 HP. It does give the Eisenmann a bit more pop and burble, a bit more bass, and a bit more bark.

Do you have the Stromung now? If so, what do you want to add to the sound? Today's 'Fest had a Stromung and RE X-Pipe, but also Euro Headers and Euro Cats. Data should be available tomorrow, if not sooner (just need to double check with folks before posting).
Hey Finnegan, do you have Eisenmann sport with SS xpipe? How do you like it? Are there any fitting issues with the eisenmanns? Did you hear the race version? Would it be too much?

And last question is there any weight saving with SS xpipe vs OEM?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
Hey Finnegan, do you have Eisenmann sport with SS xpipe? How do you like it? Are there any fitting issues with the eisenmanns? Did you hear the race version? Would it be too much?

And last question is there any weight saving with SS xpipe vs OEM?

Thanks!
Eisenmann Sport with a RE X-pipe on Skelekitty's car. Adds some pops and burbles when abruptly letting off the throttle, gives the exhaust a bit more rumble, bark, and deep tone. Basically it's the sport--but more. Sounds really good inside the cabin and outside too IMO. No drone added.

Aestheticstorm will have video of it (idle, 5K and WOT driveby and easy throttle driveby) pretty soon, along with comparisons to a whole bunch of other systems (same conditions, equipment, etc.) from today's Exhaust 'Fest.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]

I do miss my headers and Diablos though. Take a listen...... SWEET!!! ( god rest her Sepang soul!!!)

Last edited by mousitch; 04-22-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
No need to hard weld the SS X-pipe. Simply cut them back a few inches (as they're a bit longer), flange them, and connect using the same hardware u have now (or buy a set of couplers if u don't want to touch your stock X-pipe). No drop in power I can tell, and fitment was bang on.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

That's what I was thinking as well
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Maybe I got one of the older version. I was in for suspension work and have the indy shop slap on the X-pipe. I still have some vibration on cold start but disappear after a minute or two.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Man...the Eisenmann sound so good...deep, bassy sound, with a bit of burbles...exactly what I'm looking for. I don't know how you guys can justify spending $2K+ for cans, though I'm still trying to convinced myself to spend $1K on exhausts
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I have been thinking about popping the rouge x-pipe on my Stromung's as well. Does any one have a video clip of what they sounds like?
      04-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Man...the Eisenmann sound so good...deep, bassy sound, with a bit of burbles...exactly what I'm looking for. I don't know how you guys can justify spending $2K+ for cans, though I'm still trying to convinced myself to spend $1K on exhausts
ill try to get a video up of my stromung. it pops and burbles as well, and is much cheaper
Appreciate 0