ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Xenon headlamp bulb replacement

There are at least 3 bulbs that work on our cars that can be located on Ebay or Amazon as low as $20 per bulb. All are 35W and have a code D2S.

GE XENSATION 53500
Osram XENARC 66040
Philips 85122

There may be others, but all 3 of these are more or less identical and worked in my car. The Osram was OEM, I had one changed under warranty and the dealer apparently used the GE bulb. I decided to use a pair of the Philips bulbs after reading about the issue.

Follow the steps outlined in this video:

Not sure what bulb the benefactor used that did not permit it to work, but there seems to be one additional step that he did not relay in his otherwise great video. After re-connecting the battery, START THE ENGINE and allow the computer to recognize the new parts. Then turn on the lights.

Unless one has done this procedure a few times, it is highly recommended to jack the car and remove the wheel so that one can see what they are doing. In hindsight, it is easy but the first time through can take more than the 5 or 10 minutes that most would say this procedure will take.

Just remember that these parts can be dangerous unless the battery is disconnected first. No need to spend mega bucks at the stealer.

Now if you really want to know more about these bulbs, have a look at this article from the Prius chat room. Okay, it is Prius, but give the author of this some respect as he or she really seems to know something about the subject. The article also shows how to tell genuine real bulbs from fake knock-offs.

http://priuschat.com/threads/not-all...-equal.101472/

Last edited by Walkurie; 07-15-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
TestShoot
I1, I won
United_States
Rep
Drives: E71 M, E60 535i

if the car is off, why disconnect the battery? if the system is charged, wouldn't there be a drain on the system thus leading to dead batteries?
      12-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkurie View Post
There are at least 3 bulbs that work on our cars that can be located on Ebay or Amazon as low as $20 per bulb. All are 35W
I seriously doubt you'll find genuine Osram/Phillips D2S bulbs for $20. Most likely they're Chinese counterfeits. They'll work, but are not the real deal.

Fake bulbs

identifying-counterfeits
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
TestShoot
I1, I won
United_States
Rep
Drives: E71 M, E60 535i

I just bought some $20 chinese bulbs in Chinatown (LA) and I'll tell you they went in no problem and are brighter than stock that I have to assume are nearly 9 years old. I will keep you posted on long term testing.
Attached Images