ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #23
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I finally got around to do the CDV replacement. I thought I had gotten used to it after driving the car for a month solid, but after the replacement it really is like a new car. It shifts so smooth and I realize just how much I really had to concentrate while shifting before. If anyone is on the fence on this issue, try it and you will be amazed at the difference. I dont have tools or a place to work on the car but it only took the tech 20 minutes to complete the job.

2008 M Coupe
1984 Mini (born 11 APR 84)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #24
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa88af View Post
Is this typical with high performance vehicles or is this something I will get use to after driving a lot and knowing the characteristics of the car.:rocks:
It's kind of odd you say that. The M and 3.0si have all the same hardware - both use the same transmission, same shifter, same CDV. I think the 3.0si's N52 engine has more torque down low, which makes low-speed shifting easier; the S54 in the Ms needs to be revved a bit more to shift smoothly, espcially when cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #25
iamwiz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d / 2012 MCS JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
It's kind of odd you say that. The M and 3.0si have all the same hardware - both use the same transmission, same shifter, same CDV. I think the 3.0si's N52 engine has more torque down low, which makes low-speed shifting easier; the S54 in the Ms needs to be revved a bit more to shift smoothly, espcially when cold.
The S54 has more torque than the N52 over the entire range, so it's not a lack of torque.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #26
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa88af View Post
I am torned between the 3.0si and a M. The si seemed to transition through the gears a lot smoother. On the other hand, the M was jerky 1st to 2nd (low speed driving). Is this typical with high performance vehicles or is this something I will get use to after driving a lot and knowing the characteristics of the car.:rocks:

You cannot just hop in the //M and expect to drive it well. This is why magazine editors always dog on it. You have to learn how and adjust to the car (removing the CDV also helps). In the beginning the ///M is jerky for most everyone until they get used to the very stiff and sensitive clutch. It really is all about the clutch in this car. You can shift 1->2 as fast as you want if you know how to work the clutch just right. It all becomes second nature by 5000 miles (maybe sooner, but I only drive her on the weekends).
      10-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #27
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Make your decision on the whole picture between the two cars, do not let the clutch/shifting make or break the choice. You will adjust to whatever you end up with. They are both great cars and have thier own personalities and needs. What are you going to do with the car, what type of driver are you, how important is gas mileage, cost of the car??????? Answer these and you'll have a clearer picture of what your choice will be.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #28
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

No offense to you, but I've driven several different M vehicles over the last 20 years, never noticed any of them having a jerky shifter. Maybe you're just not used to the car.
Appreciate 0