ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Fuse Location For Convertible Top

I just put a new tune on my Z4 and had it plugged into a charger I think I might have pooped a fuse...that is my only thought. Top worked fin a week ago, installed new shocks and struts and a tune, wentto dro pthe top today and nothing. The light yellow bottom light by the button lights up when I push the top down button but the windows do not drop and I do not hear anything at all no humming buzzing clicking, just silence.

Any other ideas besides a fuse? Car is garaged and motor was fine so I do not think it is the motor.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

update, I opend it manually and then raised/closed it with the button, it went right up so that eliminates the motor. Could it be a switch?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I located the fuses and checked all three of them, they were all fine. Now I am more confused than before, top goes up but does not go down, switch lights up when I hit the top down button but top will not go down. Could the switch still be bad even though it is lighting up? Is there another relay or switch that I need to check? Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

It's probably your shelf sensor, especially because to access the rear shocks they probably had to remove the shelf.

Make sure the shelf is in the down position, if it already is, then move it up and try to toggle the little switch in the center manually.
      03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
It's probably your shelf sensor, especially because to access the rear shocks they probably had to remove the shelf.

Make sure the shelf is in the down position, if it already is, then move it up and try to toggle the little switch in the center manually.
You were absolutely correct, I did not have the little thing pushed in properly to activate the micro switch....Thank You

Now I am going to enjoy this 60 degree spring day.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
You were absolutely correct, I did not have the little thing pushed in properly to activate the micro switch....Thank You

Now I am going to enjoy this 60 degree spring day.
Glad to hear it worked out for you, time to enjoy spring!
      03-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:

Beat me to it!

On a different note, I was panicking today when I went to drop the top for the first time this spring and no go. With flashbacks to replacing the motor in my 3.0i last year, my heart begun to flutter, then I looked at the shelf position...

Whew!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear it worked out for you, time to enjoy spring!
You California guys must be laughing at us midwesterners, temps hit 60 here and we drop our tops, in California when it hits 60 they put the tops up lol.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
jewagr007
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0I

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I was trying to find someinformation on the top "shelf" and didn't find much....was hoping one of you gentlemen could assist.

As far as the shelf goes, is it supposed to move up and down with the top? What is it's purpose?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
You California guys must be laughing at us midwesterners, temps hit 60 here and we drop our tops, in California when it hits 60 they put the tops up lol.
Don't worry, us Floridians laugh at Californians
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
TommyA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewagr007 View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread. I was trying to find someinformation on the top "shelf" and didn't find much....was hoping one of you gentlemen could assist.

As far as the shelf goes, is it supposed to move up and down with the top? What is it's purpose?
The shelf is supposed to stay in the down position to enable the top to store in the trunk. The shelf has two knobs that allow you to raise the shelf for additional trunk space.

With the shelf in the up position a switch will prevent the top from being lowered.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewagr007 View Post

No - the shelf is independent of the soft top, but the shelf must be in the lower (vs. upper position) in order for the top to operate. This is because the top, when lowered, needs the additional trunk space that the shelf, if in the upper position, occupies. When in the lower shelf position, the top has enough clearance. As a safety measure, the shelf position is 'monitored' by the micro-switch referred to in the above posts. If the shelf is in the up position, the switch senses this and interrupts power to the soft top mechanisms. Sometimes, even when the shelf is in the down position, the microswitch sticks, falsely interrupting power.

As for me, I never raise the shelf, as it only provides a few more inches of clearance in an otherwise spacious trunk (for a two seat roadster).
      05-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

The shelf's purpose is to enable you to manually (via the two knobs) gain some vertical space when the top is up. A novel idea, unfortunately the microswitch is so unreliable that using this feature in practice means that you'd have a 50/50 chance of the top lowering whenever you pressed the button!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRACR View Post
Don't worry, us Floridians laugh at Californians
There's no rain in CA. Doesn't it rain a lot in FL?

I was coming out of Panera the other day, put my top down and drove 50 feet to the street exit. It started raining, so I had to put my top back up. By the time I got home 10 min later, it was sunny again. That's the sh!t we have to put up with here in MA on a daily basis in spring/fall
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #15
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

No rain in CA is a good thing?
We're in rainy season in FL, yeah. The rest of the year is mostly sunshine. After spending 7 years in Seattle, off/on rain is a hell of a lot better than 100% overcast/rain.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRACR View Post
No rain in CA is a good thing?
We're in rainy season in FL, yeah. The rest of the year is mostly sunshine. After spending 7 years in Seattle, off/on rain is a hell of a lot better than 100% overcast/rain.
I thought we're talking about being able to put the top down. SoCal is top-down all year round. But yeah, Seattle, Chicago and Boston are probably the worst major cities for top down weather. Which makes those few months per year very special
Appreciate 0