ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
angelwoman
Rep
Drives: Black Z4 2.5

Seaguls removed paintwork!

Living by the sea has it drawbacks; the seaguls have left a deposit which has eroded the paintwork on my bonnet (two patches the size of a ten pence peice on black paint
work) :x I can see the top shinier coat has been removed which leaves the surrounding area vulernable to further peeling.
How can i repair this cheaply please?! (without having to have the whole bonnet re sprayed)
Carly
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

I thought I had bird poop ruin my clear coat, but it turned out it just took a really long time of natural rain and washes for the spot to disappear. A waxing helps too. Hope yours isn't more serious than mine.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

If your clearcoat is truly gone right there then you need a respray of the whole bonnet. Anyone who tells you different is full of shit, it will look terrible if you try to patch clearcoat.

The paint on our cars is a two stage paint, color goes on, is allowed to "flash", then clear goes on. The clear is going on before the color cures, so the clear is really a part of the paint. Rather than say, a single stage color thats allowed to cure, followed by polyurethane or some other clear coat.

Just the hood shouldn't be very much, I would say $600 at a super high end, ferrarri-quality body shop (ask me how I know how much it costs to paint Z4M body panels at a ferrarri quality body shop )
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Some detail shops that can do airbrushing may be slightly less...the other issue is that when the respray a part of the car, it may not match...have to make sure it's a good shop because different clear paint manufacturer will have different level or clarity and shine, so even if they do it all right it may not match 100%... A lot of times they will have to do "blending" and spray over other panels to get it to match. If someone can do airbrushing and blending the affected area to the rest of that panel it would be better way to go. It's horrible to have new paint not match old paint then your car looks odd...I wasn't happy when it happened to me.

Yeah...number one thing preventative is to have some sort of protection like C Quartz or extra coats of wax that can be attacked by the bird poop acid. It can save you if you wash away quick enough.

Dark colors are more obvious...than silver..if you have bird poop especially massive amounts like Seagulls... then better not let that dry out and start attacking your car paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Bird poo WILL etch into your clearcoat. Chances are the etched area can just be wetsanded and polished out.
      11-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

I had a giant bird poop on one of my cars before and it left a huge mark almost the size of my palm. I was pretty pissed but a month later it nearly disappeared. So maybe yours will too?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

My mums merc had a bird poop on it for about 3 weeks.. Totally ruined the paint job and had to respray the bonnet.
Get the hose onto it as soon as you see it, it will save you heartache lateron.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

When the birds hit, you need to remove promptly. This stuff is really good. http://www.poorboysworld.com/bird-sht-remover.htm Perhaps keeping some in your boot with some microfiber clothes will help next time.