ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: To Winter or Not?
a) Summer Conti's 3 33.33%
b) Winter Blizzaks 5 55.56%
c) Practical Seasonals 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

11-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
udme86m
UDM.E86.M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 MCoupe

To Winter Tire Or Not?

Looking for some advice need to make a decision next week -

My 07M is my daily driver. Last year I made it through the MD winter with OEM rims/conti's but they are slicks now. Ideally I would like to get VMR 19's with PS2's for summer and put Bilzzaks on stock rims for winter. However my expendable income is not what it was a year ago. So I am debating on the following and would like some input:

a) Get Blizzaks put on stock rims and hope I can get a summer setup. If I can't I would probably have to run them all year as I wouldn't be able to purchase summer tires to swap

b) Get another set of conti's (PS2's are out range), run those through the winter and hope for the best. Thanks to "climate change" winter in MD should be mild again this year.

c) Get some all seasons. Not ideal as I am a bit of a performance nut but a practical choice given my situation.

Thanks for your feedback!

06 Cayenne S / 07 MCoupe / 01 330CI / 04 K1200GT
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Since you say you are strapped for cash, have you tried to locate a set of used rims with snows already mounted? Search the various BMW classified forums.

Then you could hopefully get the summers you really want when Spring rolls around. I ran my winters (Pilot Alpin's) into late April last year and they were getting squirrily even when it was low 60's outside. Can't imagine what they would feel like at summer temps.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
udme86m
UDM.E86.M
United_States
Rep

Thanks yes - checked several boards and found a couple promising - 17's with no offsets which are great for winter but will look a little funny which is OK. 2 issues are - local pick up distances were far costing $$ in gas and then most likely end up selling next year as I don't love any found so far.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

I can't imagine driving these cars with summer tires in the snow. Well, I can imagine it, but I don't want to. Get winter tires and then hopefully you can buy summer tires in the spring or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
I can't imagine driving these cars with summer tires in the snow. Well, I can imagine it, but I don't want to. Get winter tires and then hopefully you can buy summer tires in the spring or whatever.
In fact, it is literally impossible. Anyone who says otherwise is lying and has never attempted it on real snow/ice.

EDIT: OP says he made it through winter? My car is undriveable on snow/ice with the OEM Contis. I grew up in South Dakota. Hmm.

Blizzaks are the bare minimum if there's any chance of ice on the road, IMO.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

even on winter tires its a challenge sometimes.

Search craigslist daily for 3 series fitment wheel/tire combos
      11-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

A couple of winters ago I was late getting my car into storage and one late November morning, we had an inch or two of snow. It all melted a few days later and I was able to get the car tucked away for the winter without getting it exposed to salt.

But while the skim of snow was still down, I tried to move the Hankook V12 equipped Z4 further back in my mostly level paved driveway. It simply would not budge an inch in reverse. So. If you drive this car in the snow with summer tires, you are going to crash it, and very quickly I'd say.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
udme86m
UDM.E86.M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
EDIT: OP says he made it through winter? My car is undriveable on snow/ice with the OEM Contis. I grew up in South Dakota. Hmm.
Yes - MD winter was really mild last year. I actually did drive it with OEM conti's twice in about 1/2 of snow and was scared sh@tless. Needless to say I don't want to repeat it. Biggest issue in MD is ice which no tires will help with. It is rare we get any significant snow.

Thanks for all the responses I am going to keep looking on the boards until next week and if nothing turns up will get the Blizzaks.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

If you actually know how to drive in the snow you'll be fine. I grew up in Upstate NY, with 200+ inches of snow per year. Contis work fine in mild winter, I ran them all last year in Philly with no issues. MD will have 3 or 4 days at most the whole winter with snow on the ground, much better to wear out some cheap tires and buy something nice in the spring.

OP, I have a set of 50% used Contis I'd be happy to sell for a great price. I'll get tread wear measurements tonight and PM you a price. I'm in Media, PA.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

I voted for all seasons since the number of days in MD with actual snow is going to be very low.

If you really want to go the winter tire route, I have 3 Pilot Alpin PA2 245/40/18's left over from my (long gone) E60 that are in very good shape and I will give you a smoking deal. There is someone selling a fourth on eBay right now and this would help you save money for proper summer tires for the 8 months out of the year where they work best.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by udme86m View Post
Yes - MD winter was really mild last year. I actually did drive it with OEM conti's twice in about 1/2 of snow and was scared sh@tless. Needless to say I don't want to repeat it. Biggest issue in MD is ice which no tires will help with. It is rare we get any significant snow.

Thanks for all the responses I am going to keep looking on the boards until next week and if nothing turns up will get the Blizzaks.
Ice is hard to deal with, true. But consider installing a studded snow tire. You'll get significantly improved traction and braking under icy conditions. Noisy as hell though. Dunno if you can "stud" the Blizzak.

Check out the Blizzak LM-60, which their site recommends for the Z4M Coupe:

http://www.bridgestonetire.ca/tire/b...m-60/255-40r18

One trick we Canucks use some times to get better traction is to put weight over the back wheels of a rear wheel drive vehicle. A couple of sand bags in the back over the axles can be the difference between getting stuck and getting home to enjoy a hot cup while watching the snow fall.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 11-06-2013 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

I think having studs on your tires are illegal in some/many states. Or so I've heard. I imagine that it's probably encouraged in Canada and states that are far North, but Maryland is not.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Its illegal in most states in the US, and the max speed rating of tires with studs is usually very low.

That being said, it would be completely ludicrous to run studded tires in a state with negligible yearly snowfall.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
Its illegal in most states in the US, and the max speed rating of tires with studs is usually very low.

That being said, it would be completely ludicrous to run studded tires in a state with negligible yearly snowfall.
In that case, the aforementioned Blizzak LM-60's without studs should be ideally suited to the task.

Appreciate 0