ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
robpxx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 3.0i Z4

Intermittent sound from Business CD

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2003 Z4 3.0i. For the first couple of weeks the sound system would play ok for a while then the sound would cut out for a while.
Now it will not play at all and just cuts in and out for a split second when it feels like it. The system does cycle ok and continues change disc when in random. While cleaning the car yesterday I found that the system works perfectly fine with the engine off, but when the engine is on it reverts back to intermittent sound. Is this a common fault and does any one have a solution.
Kind Regards,
Rob
Plymouth, England.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Sounds like the amplifier is going.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
robpxx
Registered
Rep

Thank you for reply, but could that be the case if the system works perfectly fine with the engine off.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I couldn't say. That is a strange twist. May take a dealership visit to fix that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Hi Rob,

A couple of thoughts:

1) Can you check your battery voltage when the car is running? If your voltage regulator is not working properly, and the voltage climbs when the engine is on, the amp may shut down to protect against an over voltage condition. This should be unlikely as I would imagine this would have screwed something else first (like your ECU).
2) Check the wires that are running to your amp. Are they plugged in properly? Check the grounds especially, as a floating ground can definitely cause weird problems.
3) Vibrations may be causing a bad solder joint in the amp to go open. This would require opening the amp up and checking (not easy unless you are used to doing this kind of stuff)

If the problem is only happening when the car is running, it could be the vibrations, a floating ground (ie ground is loose), or an overvoltage condition. I would probably start with the voltage check and the wire checks. More than likely it's probably a loose cable going high somewhere.

regards,
gc
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
robpxx
Registered
Rep

Thank you for your replies and I will be checking out gc's suggestions.
Regards
Rob
Appreciate 0