ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
tomhole
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster

Right rear round reflector: how to access

The little round reflector on the right rear bumper has gotten pushed in a tad and I need to get to it to push it back out into place from the rear. What is the best way to get at it: trunk or wheel well? And any pointers on how to remove whatever panels I need to would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

You should be able to access it from underneath the car. Assuming a skinny forearm, you can reach it. I didn't have to take off any panels when I R&R mine to paint them.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
tomhole
Private
Rep

Got my hand up to it and was able to push on it but couldn't pop it back into place. Managed to gouge my arm pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I accessed mine by removing the rear wheel and unfastening the rear half of the wheel well liner. A little tight but pretty quick and easy.
      01-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
There are three plastic bumper trim retainers in the rear of the fender arch that hold the rear bumper cover and the wheel well together. If you take these out, you can pull the bumper cover and push the wheel well apart enough to stick your hand in there. You may have to remove one or more of the 8mm screws that hold the bottom of the bumper cover to make it easier.

To take out the trim retainers, take a regular pair of pliers or needle nose pliers and pull out the center plastic pin. The expanding portion should then come out easily. To put them back, put the plastic pin into the expanding portion about 1/4"-1/2", put them back into the hole, then push in the plastic center pin with your thumb until it's all the way in.

Pic of the bumper trim retainer:

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I replaced my reflectors with blanks sanded and painted to match the body. I was able to do this by reaching up from underneath the bumper but, like tomhole, ended up with a gouged arm! As I recall, the only thing holding the reflectors in place was a thin circular strip of double sided tape. If your reflector will not stay in place, you may need to remove it and replace the tape.

Last edited by jrainlay; 01-13-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
For the best access, remove the rear wheel and remove the fender liner. I just replaced my LR fender liner and the rear side light is just sitting there, easily accessible. The fender liner is relatively simple to remove and replace, just takes more time. For the next best access, remove the rear wheel and separate the fender liner and bumper cover. A lot tighter but no scraped arms. This is how I popped mine back in place shortly after I bought it.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
tomhole
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a go through the fender by removing the liner.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrainlay View Post
I replaced my reflectors with blanks sanded and painted to match the body. I was able to do this by reaching up from underneath the bumper but, like tomhole, ended up with a gouged arm! As I recall, the only thing holding the reflectors in place was a thin circular strip of double sided tape. If your reflector will not stay in place, you may need to remove it and replace the tape.
I believe he's refering to the rear corner lights. These twist and pop in/out.
      01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I believe he's refering to the rear corner lights. These twist and pop in/out.
That's right... Memory isn't what it used to be. The front reflectors are held in with double sided tape. The rear bumper running lights are held in by three plastic tabs and twist into a locked position. If one of the rear running lights was pushed in and now won't stay, is it possible one of the tabs was broken?
      01-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhole View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll give it a go through the fender by removing the liner.
The problem with it being pushed in a little is that the bracket that the reflector fastens into is a separate piece & not solidly plasti-welded to the bumper skin.

I had the same issue and couldn't get it to stay in place, flush to the bumper.
My solution is to mod the bumper & close the opening.
DIY in progress.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
The problem with it being pushed in a little is that the bracket that the reflector fastens into is a separate piece & not solidly plasti-welded to the bumper skin.

I had the same issue and couldn't get it to stay in place, flush to the bumper.
My solution is to mod the bumper & close the opening.
DIY in progress.
Ideally I'd love to have all four corner light/reflectors filled. Just can't justify it until I need paint. I was kinda disappointed once I got behind the bumper cover and found out the corner light in the rear isn't all that securely attached. Painted lenses will have to do for now.