ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Need some help on 2008 Z4 M

I am looking to purchase a 2008 Z4 M. The Vin number on a 2008 Z4M tells me that the car was manufactured in the USA (seventh digit from the end "L").

Questions .....

1) Have all your Z4 M cars been assembled in the US?

2) Is there a quality difference between the US and Germany build cars?

3) What do you think a fair price is for a 2008 Z4 M with 21,000 miles?

The car I am looking at has A) Premium Package, B) Heated Sats, C) Manual Transmission, D) 8 way power seats, E) BMW Assist with Bluetooth, F) Auto dimming mirrors, G) Cruse Control, H) M Power Seats, I) Soft top and Navigation System. Manufactured in August 2008. One year factory warranty left.

I ask question 2 only since I did own a 2008 Z4 30is before and things kept falling off the dash (plastic housing from the rear view mirror, cover just above the ash tray etc). I traded that car.

Feedback from you Z4 M drivers is highly appreciated.

Thanks Fellows !

Cheers Rolf-Dieter

PS I am thinking of adding a Z4 to my collection

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

All E85 and E86 Z-4's were built in Spartansburg, South Carolina. There were none produced in Germany to compare to. As for comparing German built vs. American built cars, it depends more on how modern and automated the factory itself is. The Spartansurg plant for BMW is one of the most advanced in the world.

I've owned my Z4M since 2006. I've experienced no issues with parts just "falling off the car". It's a great car, though the complaint I hear most from regular Z4 owners who moved up to Z4M's is about ride harshness. The ride IS not nearly as supple as the regular Z-4's. It's an M suspension, for one, much stiffer. The other reason the ride is a lot different is that the regular Z4 used a more modern, E46 based suspension, while the Z4M front suspension is much more similar to the older E36 set up. Why this is, is anyone's guess.

The biggest issue for all Z4 owners is maintaining the water channels for the soft top, so they don't back up and seize the motor. I've never had any issue with this, as mine is garage stored at all times when parked, but I also regularly clean out the drains.

Otherwise, the Z4 and Z4 M are no different than any other BMW's. They are a blast to drive, and possess wonderful road feel and "soul"...however, they will never be as reliable or trouble free as Japanese cars. An M car is even more so, funner to drive and expensive to own and maintain, so be prepared for this.

My Z4M is my fourth BMW M car in a row, and my absolute favorite of the four I've owned. It's wonderfully Electronic nanny free, unlike the more modern M cars, yet is new enough to benefit from a more modern chassis and technology than the older M's. A great car, and probably the newest BMW I'll ever own.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Vic,

Thank you so much for the excellent feedback, very much appreciated.

My ///M3 right now (my daily driver) is my 6st BMW. My first one was a used e28 followed by a new 1987 e28 - 535is we still have that car in the family now with more then 250,000 miles on the odometer (we plan to fully restore that car and never sell it since it is fairly rare). Then I got into my first ///M a e46 2002. The next 2 were a Z4 e85 then the e89. I had some bad experiences with the RFT and two of my rear wheels.

So I got back into the ///M3 and love it. I just long for a weekend toy and since I know the Z4 and the e46 I think the e85 Z4 M is a good choice, I hope I find the right one

Thanks again.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 08-19-2011 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: corrected minor typo
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I believe quality comes down to the company more so than the place it's built. If standards and training are high, you'll get a good car. I honestly don't think BMWs are any less reliable than American cars. However, 10 year old BMW of similar milage won't have the same maintenance needs as a Honda. But the Honda is also far less interesting to drive. Buy with confidence, these are very good cars.

Seems like a good price for a 2008 M are running in the mid 30s USD area. Probably low 40s CDN I'd guess.
Appreciate 0