ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
ocsdgirl
Rep
Drives: Z4

Extended Warranty....HA!!!

Its weird, I have the extended Warranty and Maintenance and it does state "All mechanical and electrical operating parts and assemblies are covered by the CPO Limited Warranty EXCEPT the following:

1. Engine, Transmission, Engine drive belts, Spark, plugs, all Batteries, Suspension dampers.

2. Bulbs, headlamp, soft top, air water leaks.

Question: Aren't the items mentioned in #1 are both mechanical and/or electrical. If engine is not working properly than I PAY for it?!!!!

IF soft-op is not functioning properly, I pay for it?

I also thought that brake rotors and pads are covered under extended maintenance (or whenever they are under safe tread use?

Am I correct? Your input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

I have a BMW CPO warranty, and it has two pages of details on the covered components - including Engine, Transmission, Final Drive, Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Fuel System, Electrical System, Sensors, AC/Heating, Cooling System, and Interior and Exterior.

The exclusions are mostly maintenance, wear and tear, and consumable items like spark plugs, brake pads, light bulbs, etc. Engine and Transmission are MOST DEFINITELY part of the CPO warranty.

I've got coverage in Canada, but it looks to me like it's not much different in the US:

BMW USA CPO Warranty

The soft top itself is not covered - much like the upholstery - for wear and tear. The top drive motor is explicitly covered, but people have had a rough time claiming repairs for this when the poor drain design allows water into the hydraulic pump motor and destroys it. Some have been successful, though.

Brake pads and rotors are consumable items and not covered, same as tires, clutch lining, etc.

Last edited by WestCDA; 08-17-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I think in your case brakes/oil changes/etc are covered as you bought extended maintenance.

Your questions are why I don't support buying extended warranties. Some folks get their moneys worth, but most do not(otherwise these companies would be going out of business right?). You would be better off taking the money you plan spend on the warranty and putting it into a Z4 savings account. This way, no matter what expense comes up, your self-funded warranty account will most certainly cover it(no exclusions - eh?).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Sorry, guess I skipped right over the extended maintenance part - didn't know that was a type of coverage you could purchase. Sounds like that would cover your oil changes, consumables, etc ...

In my case the car I purchased was being sold with the CPO coverage - it wasn't a purchased 'option'. I'm not an extended warranty fan either, but I'm quite pleased that at the price I paid for the car it was included.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I just closed the sale on my 2008 Z4 3.0si today and I got brought into the "other room" where the next guy makes a sales pitch. When it was all said and done, I ended up getting the BMW Upgraded Maintenance which I think is worth it if I ever end up having to get the brakes replaced. I also got the clay bar whole car body treatment with DuPont polymer coating and interior protection plan. Who knows if this stuff is worth it?
All I know is I've got a 3 year old car which costs a lot of money to service - from what I've heard. To tell you the truth, I was just in a hurry to get out of the room and really didn't want to listen to the sales pitch or learn all of the details. I don't even know why I needed to buy this if my vehicle was already a Certified Pre-Owned. I thought a certified pre-owned already came with some pretty good coverage. Who knows?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You have to learn to say NO to those sales pitches. How much was the paint treatment? Way too much I am sure. As for the ext maintenance, I hope you drive a lot of miles a year as otherwise you are wasting a lot of money. Figure out what you plan to drive/yr and cancel it if you won't get your money's worth. You should have included maintenance anyway on an 08 for another year or so(unless you are above 50K on the car). You can buy the extended at any time before the OEM coverage ends.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

yeah, I believe the saying is something like most parts wear out on miles, yet most warranties run out on time..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
I just closed the sale on my 2008 Z4 3.0si today and I got brought into the "other room" where the next guy makes a sales pitch. When it was all said and done, I ended up getting the BMW Upgraded Maintenance which I think is worth it if I ever end up having to get the brakes replaced. I also got the clay bar whole car body treatment with DuPont polymer coating and interior protection plan. Who knows if this stuff is worth it?
All I know is I've got a 3 year old car which costs a lot of money to service - from what I've heard. To tell you the truth, I was just in a hurry to get out of the room and really didn't want to listen to the sales pitch or learn all of the details. I don't even know why I needed to buy this if my vehicle was already a Certified Pre-Owned. I thought a certified pre-owned already came with some pretty good coverage. Who knows?
3 year old car shouldn't need much if any maintenance at all other than fluid changes (oil, transmission, diff, brakes, etc). Mine is an 06 with a build date of July 2006, so it's technically over 5 years old. Runs as perfect as could be. Only maintenance tasks I've done since I took ownership is change out the engine, transmission, and differential oils. Currently has 37k miles on her. From what I've heard and read, most cars on the roads today won't need any major maintenance done until almost 100k. Hell, my rotors still had 27.2mm when I checked them a couple of months ago. At that rate, I would imagine they will probably need to be replaced around the 55k-60k mark. Definitely not the cheapest brake job due to the high quality components used but still not bad considering the life you get out of them.

Lesson to be learned: Don't ever rush yourself during the paper signing process. They will try to talk you into everything from tire road hazard warranty to a paint protection plan. It's all a bunch of BS that helps crappy dealers stay in business. Just say NO and keep your money in your own pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
Uncle Russ
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Garage List
I, too, just bought a CPO 2008 M Roadster with 18,400 miles on it. Have already put well over 3000 miles on it and as it is my daily drive, expect to out many more on it per year. That's the reason why I opted for the extended maintenance package. The BMW mx package ends March 2012, extended mx goes to 2014. Driving at least 50 miles a day in NoVA, I'm pretty sure I will need brakes and probably inspection II before then, so each driver's situation is different, gotta make the decision based on how you will use the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I bought a 2004 Audi Allroad from CarMax in 2007 with 35k miles. One owner, full service history. I normally avoid extended warranties. However for $1,600, I bought a 3 year, 36k mile full warranty. Over the next 2 years and 20k miles, I racked up almost $17,000 in repair bills, all but about $1,000 covered by the extended warranty. From a statistical standpoint, any insurance is more beneficial to the insuror, but in this case I was very grateful that I bought coverage.
Appreciate 0